Thread: 41 ft. Seaborn Yawl - Boneyard Boats

Default 41 ft. Seaborn Yawl - Boneyard Boats

Hi -

I have no connection - other than being an owner of a Seaborn designed boat that I love.

She is being offered for free to someone who will treat her right. While a project - she has good "bones" & Seaborn designed very sailable & quick boats

She's in the Seattle area.

http://www.boneyardboats.com/ You need to subscribe to get into the magazine.

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Default Re: 41 ft. Seaborn Yawl - Boneyard Boats

Thanks for posting that, Garret; hopefully she'll find a good new owner. We've lost a few over the years here in the PacNW, but this one is certainly worth saving. I think it's Seaborn's only yawl. Here's some more info on her...

http://www.benseabornboats.org/forum...r-new-owner#78

I just heard that she was given to a friend of the owner, and the new owner has ?decided? after a couple weeks that he does not have the means to put her back in service and is looking to sell her.

A disappointing turn of events for such a pretty and historic Pacific Northwest design. I've not laid eyes on her, but the photos I've seen seem to indicate she's in pretty good condition except for the mizzen partners and adjacent deck. I understand that the Mercedes diesel runs well, and she has a brand new mizzen mast which - if the information I have is correct - was commissioned by the previous owner when he had the time and interest in her. She is still in the water at Port Hadlock, Washington I believe.

Anyone considering taking her on will have at least the mizzen area to address plus cosmetics, but she will be a great looking and if Seaborn's skill carries through a fast one.

I have no affiliation with her except a desire to see as many of Seaborn's designs remain in three dimensions. PM me for more info.

Well, I learned through the grapevine that Starbright has been sold again. The new owner used most of his savings for the $850.00 purchase price and has motored it to Bellingham where he intends to live on it.

This is a sad turn of events for her, and likely the last chapter in her history.

If anyone wants more info, please PM.

Sad news to all of the previous posters and anyone with a place in their heart for this lovely boat. She dragged her anchor in a minor wind storm two weeks ago and has fetched up on the Blaine Harbor break wall. Her owner was aboard and abandoned ship.
    Through a convoluted series of mis-steps and negligence, there she remains. One good soul secured a halyard to the rock to keep her from falling over. An attempt was made to patch the basketball sized hole ground into the port side and she floated free during a 9.6 tide, only to reposition bow down. Her rudder is out of the lower bearing and propeller is bent. Currently she floods on each rising tide.
    The weather pattern has been somewhat benign since she went up, with no major wind/wave events, so hopefully she hasn't been grinding.
    At this point in time, it appears that the harbor authorities have seized the boat and looked for a salvor, but there doesn't seem to be a major effort to bring her to safety.

So there she sits, stripped out of everything shiny, awaiting a reprieve or just the right combination of wind and wave. It seems a shame to let this one go.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

well ,bvv called that one.

That is a sad tale.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Yet another piece of history goes away. Ben Seaborn designed some wonderful boats & was way ahead of his time. Had I been on the same coast I would've done something with her - though I need another boat of that size like I need a hole in the head...

I have similar feelings, Garret. I'm here in the PNW, but another boat is not in my future. The saddest part is that there is a recent boat school grad in Port Townsend that was willing to take her for restoration but the owner at the time decided to give her to someone whose only interest was to siphon whatever value she had.

I spoke to the Port of Bellingham in Blaine and found out that she was anchored by a small plow anchor set in a mud bottom. She dragged in ~40 knot winds in at a fairly high tide (9.5ft) and holed below the waterline. There was one more tide high enough to float off with bags but the owner did not make an attempt. The Port (who is now responsible for salvage) will not fund a crane to lift her off, so she will stay where she is until she can be floated off. The next tide high enough for floating salvage is in two months.

Meanwhile, the hole, which is now about 3' in size, will grow. When she is salvaged, the Port will advertise for bids to dispose of her.

I'm going to drive up there this afternoon, take some photos if possible, and will post them.
    Last edited by bvv; 09-17-2016 at 01:19 PM.

The Port of Bellingham in Blaine sent me a few photos of Starbright sitting on the breakwater. Fairly good look at (most of) the bottom. The owner is not to be found, and as he was living in a tent in the woods before acquiring her he's likely to stay that way. Here are a some photos of her as of a few weeks ago....

Someone's tied her back to the breakwater, so she's relatively safe until the next large tide/wind event.

The Port is pursuing funding from the State of Washington derelict vessel program:

Working to help local agencies remove problem boats

The following authorizing public entities may remove derelict or abandoned vessels within their jurisdictions:

• DNR
    • Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
    • Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission
    • Metropolitan park districts
    • Port districts
    • Cities, towns, or counties with ownership, management, or jurisdiction over the aquatic lands where the vessel is located.

DNR can assist those entities in funding removal in the following ways:

• Reimbursement of up to 90% of the cost of removal and disposal.
    • Remaining 10% of the cost can be in the form of “in-kind” services.
    • Authorized public entities not able to undertake the removal of a derelict vessel may ask DNR to assume the lead.
    • Priority for the use of funds is for vessels in danger of breaking up, sinking, or blocking a navigational channel, or vessels that present a risk to human health, safety or the environment.
    • Providing guidance and assistance to agencies.

Damn - seeing that really hurts. Sure wish I was local..

If someone retrieved it, would they need a title to it to keep it n WA? Does it become theirs as salvage? If "someone" wanted to get it off of there, would a temporary tarp patch possibly function well enough to move it on its own bottom?

I suspect you could keep it as salvage since the owner, no doubt, couldn't afford the cost of recovery. Would it be worth it though? A seventy year old boat with a big hole in it is going to be a heck of a project any way you slice it. You'd be doing the port a heck of a favor though, if you did salvage it.

Garret, be glad you are far away, you've got enough to do.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Thank you.

If anyone has interest in saving Starbright, a good place to start would be to speak to the Harbormaster (Andy), Port of Bellingham at Blaine, Washington. Andy is a wooden boat enthusiast and sympathetic to her cause. If she's salvaged by the Port, they would presumably follow these state guidelines. PM me for more info; I'm happy to help in whatever way I can.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    ...Garret, be glad you are far away, you've got enough to do.
    Oh - I am - at least on one level. There are just so few of Ben Seaborn's boats left (except Thunderbirds) that I hate to see one go away. The man was way ahead of his time & in his early boats (like Neoga) he had a great sense of marrying a traditional looking boat above the waterline with modern design (for the time) below the waterline.

That is one heck of a nice looking boat! To anyone who is thinking about saving her. Be sure your pockets are lined with cash and not sand!
    While I am not in a position to deal with her, I have two already, I do hope someone who has some smarts takes her on! No Walter Mitty's need apply!
    One that I saved a few years ago for Elizebeth Meyer was the 1916 Lawley yawl "Seminole". The boat was so bad that her bow sprit fell off when she was loaded on the truck to take her East from Oceanside CA where she had been abandoned. Given a knowledgable workman most any boat can be saved. It is all a matter of patience, ability and money!
    Jay

To anyone considering it... Here's her big sister. As I said, Seaborn could design some purty boats - but then I'm prejudiced!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    That is one heck of a nice looking boat! To anyone who is thinking about saving her. Be sure your pockets are lined with cash and not sand!
    ... It is all a matter of patience, ability and money!
    Jay
    Well, that lets me right out. The first instinct was to seize the potential adventure, thank you for the refreshing glass of cold water. :^)

More Seaborn boats of that era - all still alive.

Sunda (now in San Francisco)

Kate II (now in San Francisco)

Nautilus

Nautilus and Mistral at Jensen's

Nautilus II (now in Cleveland area)

Tola

Stormy Weather

We visited Starbright today. My family owned her for 30 years before before the last few owners disregarded her value and let her die on the rocks. I tried to get close-up pictures but since the tide was high and we didn’t have a boat, we could only glimpse her from the distance. So sad!!!! Her forward half was completely submerged and the main and mizzenmast were gone. She will be strewn across the bottom of the harbor if she is not pulled out of there before the stormy season. It breaks my heart to see the last chapter of her history coming to an end. She will be gone forever.3B0395CB-B654-4A74-8BEF-D53F0BDB7A8D.jpg

What a shame. She deserved better.

Another visit today for a closer look... She will not last another season. All that is left is what was above the waterline. As you can see from the picture, there is nothing left of the bottom. The keel is completely gone! The sight was too sad for words. She has been stripped of everything. I am wondering who salvaged the portholes and other bronze fittings. I would very much like to purchase a keepsake. if anybody has any news on that matter, please send me a note. Thank you!
    IMG_0808.jpgIMG_0803.jpgIMG_0812.jpg

Lots of thieving parasites about I see.

i'm torn.. it seems to me the only people with presence of mind enough to see some value in this beautiful old boat are the salvors that have stripped her.... at least there's some small part somewhere that will live to sail another day

Damn!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by coelcanth View Post
    i'm torn.. it seems to me the only people with presence of mind enough to see some value in this beautiful old boat are the salvors that have stripped her.... at least there's some small part somewhere that will live to sail another day
    Optimist! I bet it's all been sold for scrap & will be melted down.