Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1953 38' Monk Tricabin

Default Re: 1953 38' Monk Tricabin

Welcome to the special place in hell reserved for those of us foolish enough to restore cruisers.... All kidding aside, she is a gorgeous boat. I'm looking forward to this unfolding.

Watching this build, thanks for sharing. Very interesting!

A proper bed,

This boat was designed for short excursions, with a comfy fo'c'sle having two generous berths that can be converted with a board to a massive sea of bed, a cramped dinette that converted to a rather short double and a air of bunks.
    None of which was particularly comfortable. I wanted a real mattress. So I removed the dinette as it was an odd spot for it when the wheelhouse is so much more suitable. In fact the galley forward of the dinette will move into the house too, but not just yet. the space left when the galley moves will become a navigation station, read office. I hate that my computer and papers are always all over the dining table.
    But for now just a quick mock up of the new bed, with storage below for 16 blue totes.

As it was originally,...

I was sad removing the nice mahogany, but when finished there will be much more,...
    The compressed air cylinder is for the air horn!!
    I had a momentary thrill that there might be a beer tap system aboard!!
    There will be,.......

The cabin sole is plywood, circa 1953 and in perfect condition.
    Bit of a mess of shabby electrical and plumbing to sort out.

A mock up in cheap plywood, but perfect and oh so comfy with a real pillow top double mattress.

This is hardly a wooden boat project, but I'm trying to create an archive.

Peter Knowles

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Knowles View Post
    I had a momentary thrill that there might be a beer tap system aboard!!
    There will be,.......

This is hardly a wooden boat project, but I'm trying to create an archive.

Peter Knowles
    Bummer on the kegerator - but this is most definitely a wooden boat project! Thanks for posting this.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Hello, long pause in posting, busy summer.
    I was privileged to attend the Victoria Classic Boat Festival.

A real treat to be amongst so many spectacular boats.
    And although I wasn't really ready to "show" I felt very welcome.

Victoria is my home port, but it was still a treat to spend the weekend tied up right downtown in front of the Empress Hotel and the Legislature.

Next year I'll do all three local festivals, Vancouver, Victoria and Port Townsend, well, if they let me in,...

You can just see me in the right of centre in the image below.

Now after a summer of cruising it's back to work on her,...

Peter

Haulout!
    (This post is a flashback 6 months, just as an archive)

From the day I considered buying the boat, this was the day I dreaded.
    I had never seen the bottom, or had any real way of determining the condition.
    I had inspected 90% of the frames and planks from inside but nothing tells the truth like a haulout.
    It had been over 5 years since she was out and the bottom growth was impressive.
    Also there wasn't the slightest trace of any zincs, loose bolts holding nothing,....

But the planking was excellent, I'm no shipwright, but I know a problem when I see one and the bottom was splendid!
    I had my surveyor in to do a full out of water survey and he thought it was splendid too.
    Happy day!
    I did recaulk the garboard seam and tidy up the paying in two seams at the turn of the bilge.
    But otherwise it was really great.

Scraping dozens of patchy layers of bottom paint was a misery, but I got her down to clean wood.

A week of sanding and scraping, and then a few more days of painting, both the topsides, 2 coats, rolled and tipped and the bottom, 3 coats.

The stern gear, despite not having zincs for some time was perfect, prop, strut, rudder etc., all cast bronze, all perfect. I zinced the rudder and the propshaft. I'll dive on her in a few months to see how they're doing.

All in all a wonderful experience, the yard let me stay aboard and despite the horrendous work it strengthened the bond I have for this lovely boat.
    I'm beginning to trust that she might not break my heart.

Knowing the hull is good allows me to forge ahead with more substantial work.

So lets get on with it,......

Nothing says ready to go like a fresh coat of bottom paint.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

wow what an amazing boat!, how long does tung oil last roughly? i have a 50ft project that could look good with a bit used on it i think!

It must have been such a relief to see her bottom in such good shape! Just beautiful.

This has the making of an epic thread! What a great boat...following with great interest

Lovely inspirational thread. Thank you.

P

Hello all, time to jump back in.
    Boat work has taken a backseat to life in general, I've lived aboard in Victoria BC now for over two years and love it.
    Had a good summer cruise last year and am looking forward to a lengthily cruise this summer.

OK enough catching up....
    The concern for today, whoah, deep breath....

I'm about to undertake some major work on the boat, mostly systems and creature comforts.
    Electrical, plumbing, cabinetry etc. Not all that "wooden boaty"

However this forces me to evaluate the viability of the dear thing.
    I am realistic about wooden boats, I've had a few that have broken my heart.
    I believe this one is pretty good, but I'm aware that for every dollar you invest in a wooden boat you're lucky to increase it's value by 10 cents. I'm OK with this as this is my home and hope it will be for a long time.

I'm hoping to address her issues methodically and proactively.
    Firstly I've addressed fresh water leaks as it's so damaging. I've got this largely under control but will have some questions coming.
    Then paint and brightwork, mostly under control.
    Then mechanical systems, ones that affect safety and ability to live aboard.
    All these matters I'm very comfortable with and will continue to improve.

Now for the tough stuff.
    From my extensive examination and a professional surveyor.
    The critical wood is largely in excellent shape, planking, 1" yellow cedar below, 1" red cedar above is all sound and well secured, hood ends too.
    Stem, transom, keel all pretty good
    The frames, 2" x 1-1/4" white oak, are generally very good with the exception of forward just above the water line.
    The boat is fastened with galvanized nails and clinched (clenched), 1/4" hammered over at 90 degrees parallel to the grain.
    99% show no corrosion but in this area forward, there is rust and iron sickness and the frames are punky in line with the fasteners.
    only for about 18" around the water line. Above and below I'd say they're really good, a slight blemish at each nail, but no softness to my awl. You can see the bleeders in my post #41 above.

OK so this needs attention and soonish.
    can I get away with sistering the frames with a healthy overlap, say total of 48"?
    To be frank, I'm not too concerned about authenticity in the repair, but I don't want to be pound foolish.
    My means and opportunity preclude extensive time on the hard, full frame replacement is just not feasible for me.

I would just pull the nails in the old frames and bung the holes in the planks.

The entire interior of the boat will be rebuilt and I intend to build it in such a way that it will be removable so I can continue this process as iron sickness advances through the boat. Perhaps it won't.
    Complete refastening is a daunting idea with these bloody nails. But I suppose in time it's inevitable.

Please excuse the lengthily post. This single issue is pivotal, if I can find a way to keep ahead of trouble I expect to live on this boat for quite some time.

Awaiting your sage advice.

Peter Knowles

Sistering frames like that would be a fine long term repair.
    -Jim

Thanks Jim,
    I appreciate the reassurance, especially from you, great work.

Peter

Happy to help where I can. You've got a good looking old boat there and it's fun to follow along on your project. Good luck on the sistering!
    -Jim

Love it! Following.
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

I was just wandering how your Monk is coming along.
    Glad to see new posts Peter!

Wojo

Peter, are your frames through bolted to the floors in this area? This may be a consideration when contemplating sister frames. I'm in favour of lower frame section replacement being scarfed to the remaining upper section using laminations with epoxy but white oak framing complicates this to some uncertainty regarding glue-ups.

Do your existing frames have enough strength and substance to allow for re-fastening with galvanized screws?

This looks like a November job to me. / Jim

Very cool indeed, will be looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    My First Boat Build:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...acgregor-Canoe
    Iain Oughtred - Macgregor Canoe - 15 foot

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    Peter, are your frames through bolted to the floors in this area? This may be a consideration when contemplating sister frames. I'm in favour of lower frame section replacement being scarfed to the remaining upper section using laminations with epoxy but white oak framing complicates this to some uncertainty regarding glue-ups.

Do your existing frames have enough strength and substance to allow for re-fastening with galvanized screws?

This looks like a November job to me. / Jim
    Jim,
    I don't know it the frames are bolted to the floors, tough to see under the sole, I'll check.
    I think the frames are quite good where the iron sickness is not present.
    If I can get the nails out, counterboring and screwing should hold well as the nail holes are relatively small.

Not this November, but next spring's haulout.
    Going to be a busy haulout, likely a repower as well, and I don't want her to get dry.

Does it seem likely that these fasteners rusted from bad ventilation?
    In this section of the boat, there is no bilge ventilation as the sole sits directly on the floors blocking all airflow fore and aft. In the rest of the boat where there is reasonable bilge ventilation the nails are mostly good.

On the subject of refastening, is if possible that if I'm able to exert enough force, could the clinch in the nail straighten as it's drawn out enough to not significantly damage the frame?
    It's a shame they are clinched with the grain. Across the grain the wood could put up more of a fight.

Peter