Thread: Tarred Nylon sizes

Default Tarred Nylon sizes

Hi,

I'm re-doing a number of wooden blocks for Drake, and need to order more Tarred Nylon Seine Twine. But when you look at the photos on the on-line sites http://www.reddenmarine.com/rope-cor...red-seine.html it's hard to sort out what size to buy.

I'm seizing 3/8" and 1/2" rope grommets onto the blocks and thimbles.

I'm thinking I need #42. Is that about right?

Thanks,

Dave

Default Re: Tarred Nylon sizes

That's a personal choice as far as I know, or you can try to match the size of marline already used on your boat. To be safe I'd order a range of similar sizes -- you can never have too much nylon seine twine!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I thought that it would be easy to find a chart showing diameter and size #. Well, I've been wrong before.
    This may help:
    https://www.brunsonnet.com/index.cfm...category_ID=33
    #42 is about 3/16" diameter, so I would think it is too heavy. #6 is 1/32", which might be better.
    Pictures with no actual size reference
    #7 for whipping, otherwise not a helpful web site.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

#42 is way too heavy for that. I keep two spools handy, a #9 and a #24. The lighter stuff I generally use for whipping and the #24 where there'll be a real load on it. It's easier to do good work with lighter line because you can get good stretch into it by hand as you work the seizing. Don't worry about the strength of it, it's very tough and wears like the proverbial pig's nose.
    -Dave

Thanks!

I'll order a variety -- and this time tack samples up on the wall of the shop with the #s written beside.

Hi Dave,

What did you go with in the end ? We have a pile of grommets to serve this winter and I need to order some twine. Our grommets will probably be 5/8" hempex. Suggestions ?

Cheers,
    Mark

I would have thought #42 would have been just about right for seizings. I use a lot of #60, which is about 1/8", for my seizings because that is what I use for serving so its always around. FWIW, Brion Toss was the one who recommended #60 to me for serving.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    I would have thought #42 would have been just about right for seizings. I use a lot of #60, which is about 1/8", for my seizings because that is what I use for serving so its always around. FWIW, Brion Toss was the one who recommended #60 to me for serving.
    Murielle visited with our sail maker yesterday and had some grommet lessons. He too thought #42 was about right. Spoiler alert: grommet making video to come...

Cheers,
    Mark

An alternative for tarred sein twine is to order it in untared black twine and paint it with clear matt finish artist's acrylic coating. This will aid in locking it in place and protect the surface from sun damage.
    Jay