Thread: First farm jack-safe operation

Default First farm jack-safe operation

So I've ordered my first farm jack, 60" Hi Lift. So far, I've pieced together the following concerning safe operation:

-use common sense with the load
    -keep it clean and lubed
    -only reverse direction when it is in the closed position
    -keep both hands on the handle when it is under load(?)
    -keep your head out of the path on the handle

Any other tips from the pros?

Thanks

Tom

Default Re: First farm jack-safe operation

Make sure the damn thing has "locked" into its ratchet before letting go the handle. I had a handle swing up and smash my elbow while my back was turned....that hurt some.
    I have used them for years for getting boats up to 3 tons on and off trailers from/to ground, but i am always wary of what could go wrong . I make sure to block under the load as i lift, just in case of jack slippage or failure. Just as power tools can remove parts of the body in an instant, a heavy load might kill you, but being aware of what you are doing is what keeps you safe. Dont rush a lift, and dont crawl under a load without blocking. Never exceed to safe working load.

There is a safety video, it appears to be from the manufacturer. It has been watched 300,000 times in the last 9 years....I wonder how many HiLift Jacks have been sold in that time?

Not my favorite piece of equipment, people rely on the foot to stabilize the jack in soft ground, and most of the time that is fine. Get up near the jack's load rating and they start to sink causing instability.

Take care.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

As Seanz said, a good solid load bearing foundation.

Ensure that as the load you are lifting "tips", the point about which it is rotating is stable and will not move away from the jack.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    Not my favorite piece of equipmen
    much rather a good wench myself, but there are times when only such a jack will do. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Now that`s a hairy, scary piece of kit!!, it can tip in all directions! I prefer a small high lift trolly jack on a firm, load bearing surface, I guess that rachet strut thing is OK in a emergency providing you can block the wheels on whatever you are lifting but dont get under the load until it`s resting on stands or/and blocks! that includes ALL lifting devices!! (I`ve had some close escapes in my dark past!)

Rant over!

Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    much rather a good wench myself, but there are times when only such a jack will do. . .
    Paul, you crack me up.

"Now that`s a hairy, scary piece of kit!!, it can tip in all directions!" That's the beauty of the thing - jack up the back of the truck - push it over and your rear end is now several feet beyond the hole you were in. Repeat on the front end & you can "crab walk" a truck out of a ditch...Unless it all goes tragically wrong & maims you. Very powerful & very dangerous piece of kit but the single most versatile for getting vehicles unstuck - after a shovel...

"-keep both hands on the handle when it is under load(?)
    -keep your head out of the path on the handle"

Sometimes one hand with your body as far away as possible is a safer approach.
    Keep anything of value out of the path of the handle - it has a vicious kickback.

Invest, make or carry a better base for soft conditions.http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/off-road-base.html
    I like the fitting that hooks on to the wheel for lifting when the vehicle is sunk to the frame...http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html
    Moe
    Last edited by MoePorter; 04-18-2016 at 11:08 AM.

A friend of mine calls Hi-Lifts "widow-makers". I've used them without incident, and like their capabilities, but they scare the snot out of me. Be real careful, especially shifting the ratchet. Things can go wrong quickly.

Alex

Almost knocked my teeth out a few times with one of those. Always seems like limbering up and stepping into the ring when there's no other choice and you reach for one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Hwm0ei1UM
    Last edited by lupussonic; 04-18-2016 at 04:26 PM.

For vehicles, I'd much rather use a bottle jack or scizzors jack. I don't mind the extra time spent blocking the frame and repositioning the jack. If I don't have clearance, I'll use a crowbar and raise the frame an inch at a time to get the clearance.

The Hi-Lift jack comes in handy for pulling up mobile home anchors, that have been repurposed for amateur radio tower anchors. They're overkill for pulling fenceposts, even cornerposts and gateposts :-)

I usually tie off the top, three ways, to keep it lifting straight.

regards,
    Joe
    These days, everything I do is just "puttering around"

When I was working we equipped a bunch of trucks for the IDF (Israeli Defense Force) with lift bags. Arm & a leg spendy, but what's an arm or a leg worth? And if you get in a pinch (like the Zombie Apocalypse) , you can hang them outside the doors of your Jeep as armour...they're pretty bullet proof.

If you look and compare the working bits of a farm jack with the HI lift, you can see the quality. All Hi-Lift moving parts are serviceable. The Farm jack has been known to bend under heavy pressure,The Hi-lift has an assortment of accessories that can be used with it.The use of the jack is pretty simple and uncomplicated if you follow the guide lines.Never stand in front of the handle. Do all your work from the sides.Put a brick or something behind the wheel in case of moving backwards.Its a good idea to have Hi lift jack points forward and rear of the vehicle.Your vehicle will shift to the side if you lift a vehicle that is standing at an angle. You have to compensatefor this. I have used this jack to lift my vehicle out of a hole, put a rock in the hole and drive out.You look after your jack, it will look after you. I have used mine for compressing a door, you can also get a winch adaptor Kit and a wheel kit.I had rockslider lifterssome https://mechanicguides.com/best-farm-jacks/ time ago of but disappeared. I am looking again, might have to import.

A winch & a skyhook is much easier...

All the advice here is good - it's mostly common sense after all.

Anyone who goes under a vehicle without proper rigging (wheel chocks jackstands, blocking, etc.) is vying for a Darwin award.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I remember bumper jacks...
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Having spent my life as a user of tools i can say with some authority that the amount of work a tool can do when used properly is equal to the amount of damage it can do when used improperly...................

We used to use them in a body shop I worked at years ago not for lifting so much as stretching door openings or squaring frame rails. Boss called them the monkey on a stick.

I grew up using them on the farm. I think back to the crazy stuff we would do with them and am amazed none of us got hurt. They are more forgiving than they appear, but after I grew up, I always hated using dad's when I was back home helping out.
    Standard tool on the farm back in the day, every pickup had one in the back.