Thread: How not to caulk seams

Default How not to caulk seams

By wielding the caulking iron with such ferocity as to completely sever the underlying diagonals - see here: http://classicyacht.org.nz/cyaforum/...3/#post-136805. (This is Charles Bailey Jr's 1892 racing cutter, Rogue; the impugned work was not done on my watch).)
    Last edited by PatrickXavier; 04-06-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Default Re: How not to caulk seams

1892!
    I bet she's been recaulked several times in that area over the century ,and each time she's been raked out its taken some more.

Fantastic condition ! amazing. incredible even.( not literally )

Very interesting forum site! Thanks for posting it. Good object lesson on correct caulking technique.

I'm not sold on the diagnosis. Looks like too clean a cut to be from over-pounding the caulking, especially as the diagonal below does not show damage. Really, take a caulking iron, blunt edge and all, layer some caulking over the edge and slam a piece of wood. You might dent but you won't make a kerfed out line like shown.

And then there are all those things that look like fastenings along the top edge of the lower group of slats and the bottom of the upper ones.

I'm not at all clear on what's going on here but I don't really buy the overcaulk theory.

What "look like fastenings" are those from the repeatedly refastened and now removed garboard and plank above. You can see the fastenings along the lower edge of the remaining plank.

steveh's alternative theory is overvigorous raking with a hook file, but the edges of the severed diagonals are clearly crushed at an angle. I'll see if I can find another photo....

It does help to be up close to the thing. I didn't know that with that sort of dual diagonal planking the outer layer would be caulked or that it would be fastened along the edges.

I've done it myself before I realsied what was going on , its hard to tell the difference between wood fibre and the old cotton when you're raking out 75 year old seams( in my case) something to be wary of . Those inner skins look to be only about 1/4 in ? so it doesn't take much of a boatyard error to damage them .I think it'll be a combination of raking , cleaning up the seam and then the caulking iron.
    And that can also be over multiple refits , as the garboard is always the first port of call by any 'boatbuilder' whether pro or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Very interesting forum site!
    Thanks. Rogue also has its own occasionally updated website.

On closer inspection, it turns out the damage goes through both inner diagonal skins (and even into the keel! Check out that line of cotton). So scarfing replacements in for each plank's last 30cms was going to be a mission.

Happily, I know someone who's up to the job:

Last edited by PatrickXavier; 11-15-2016 at 07:38 PM.

And then to the external diagonals:

Last edited by PatrickXavier; 11-14-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Better than new.

Last two photos show clean up and splining of new rebate at top of keel, to receive new scarfed diagonals.

New scarfed diagonals are going in alternately to avoid inadvertent gluing of each to its neighbour. All good.

Mammoth task, now almost completed. (Each word is separately hyperlinked to my most recent posts at https://rogue1892.wordpress.com/rogues-restoration/.)

phew, only been hanging for 2 years to find that out!!

"I'll show you how to reef that seam in a jiffy. Hand me that circular saw".
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    "I'll show you how to reef that seam in a jiffy. Hand me that circular saw".
    +1 on that.

At the risk of telling you something you might not want to hear-wouldn't it have been a good idea to stagger the location of those horizontally aligned plank joins?

They're quite the miracle really , these boats. All that work and when she goes back in it'll still be hand on heart a 90 % plus original timber in the hull, boat.
    Compare that to the usual restoration of a similar type/age boat overseas where the ribs and frames are replaced and then the hull gets replaced around those. There's a cleat or two left from the original boat

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    At the risk of telling you something you might not want to hear-wouldn't it have been a good idea to stagger the location of those horizontally aligned plank joins?
    The replacements are scarfed over some distance; I'm not sure staggering their start point would be material. But happy to hear your alternative view.