Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer Isle Tammie Norrie Build

Default Re: Deer Isle Tammie Norrie Build

Great build of a superb design. Top notch attention to detail, an area some of us struggle with. Rowing/sailing will be magic.

Graeme

Thanks, Al and Graeme. I am pleased with how the boat is turning out so far and hope to be able to keep up the momentum and get her finished before too long.

Thanks for the updates, Bill. She looks beautiful!
    pvg

I know I'm a year behind here, but since I am looking forward to starting my build, I have a question. It looks to me like your clamps showed a block under one clamp. Did you scarf the gunnel/rub rail? I absolutely love the way you finished her...bright on those pieces and paint below. If you did scarf those pieces, how in the world did you make them come out so nice, finished bright? I am not embarrassed to say I am going to copy much of what you did! Including ordering the transom and sheer strake out of sapele. Thanks for the inspiration!

Where are you now? Sailing her yet?
    Last edited by KenStocker; 08-22-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks. I had some long pieces of Honduras mahogany left over from another project, so I did not have to scarf the rub rails. Had I not had the long lengths, however, I would not have hesitated to scarf. On small pieces such as rub rails, even the scarf of an amateur like me is hardly noticeable.

Unfortunately, other projects have intervened and I have not made much progress recently. Not likely to launch until next season.

Getting ready to start scarfing my planks, and I had a question. Your sheer strake looks amazing! I'm just wondering how in the world you could sand off the epoxy without sanding through the plywood. Is the outer thickness of the sapelle thick enough that it wasn't a problem? Makes me sweat just thinking about it! I thought about taping it off to prevent getting epoxy on the ply. Thoughts?

Ken

Beautiful work Bill!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

That is the cleanest interior straight after a turn i've ever seen!
    testament to careful attention to detail.
    Looking really great.
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Quote Originally Posted by KenStocker View Post
    Getting ready to start scarfing my planks, and I had a question. Your sheer strake looks amazing! I'm just wondering how in the world you could sand off the epoxy without sanding through the plywood. Is the outer thickness of the sapelle thick enough that it wasn't a problem? Makes me sweat just thinking about it! I thought about taping it off to prevent getting epoxy on the ply. Thoughts?

Ken
    Thanks. First, since the strakes are from a Hewes & Co kit, the scarf cuts are quite accurate and even. If you are cutting yours by hand, just take your time to get an accurate and flat scarf. I did not do anything special to avoid getting epoxy everywhere. Tape may help, but you need to remove it before the joint cures or you may end up with epoxied-down tape. I tend to work with slow-cure hardener, so I do not have to rush the process. If I get a squeeze-out bead or lump that has hardened near the joint, I use a very sharp chisel or cabinet scraper to take it down before sanding. The epoxy line is by no means invisible, but does not stand out against varnished sapele.

Thanks Bill. Obviously the only strake I'm really worried about is the sheer, as it's the only one that will be finished clear. The scraper is a good idea.

Ken