Thread: The Future of Meat

Default The Future of Meat

Voting is like driving a car: Choose "R" to move backwards. Choose "D" to move forward.

Default Re: The Future of Meat

Heh Heh! Apart from it being April 1., the likely future of meat is……..Frankenmeat.
    "According to an article in the Guardian, the researchers, led by Dr. Mark Post, have thus far “grown thin sheets of cow muscle measuring 3cm long, 1.5cm wide, and half a millimetre thick.” To go from this to a full burger the scientists will “take 3,000 pieces of muscle and a few hundred pieces of fatty tissue, that will be minced together and pressed into a patty.”"
    http://bigthink.com/floating-univers...n-a-petri-dish

I heard on BBC yesterday that your food suppliers are mixing all kinds of good stuff, like horse meat, into your beef.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    I heard on BBC yesterday that your food suppliers are mixing all kinds of good stuff, like horse meat, into your beef.
    Good thing I quit buying beef.

Having just run across th... let me revise... "discovered" the phrase "frankenmeat", I find I'm a week behind things here...

Frankenmeat to one side, and discounting for the moment the esthetic concept of combining types of meats for deceptive purposes, what is so damn wrong with horsemeat that every time it comes up as a possible foodstuff? Is it emotional, as in 'we CAN'T eat Black Beauty' or a cultural hangover of horses used for drayage until there was nothing left on them but bone and some connective tissue and they were only candidates for "the glue factory"?

I side with the French in that horsemeat is just "Finer 'n frog's hair" for most meat-y purposes (especially stews) as long as you get the tack off them first.

Frankenmeat does disturb me a little bit, but only since I saw "Cloud Atlas".

(Burger, anyone?)

As for horse meet.... I say neigh!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Horse, dog, cat, rat , human to a non meat eater its all the same. 'You pat your dog on his head and then eat his brother ?' said a dear vegetarian friend once.

Well, not habitually, but meat is meat and I certainly have no moral principle about it.

So far though, the best meat I've ever had has been western farmed standard butcher's fare.... and I have had most others... not rat or human as far as I know ,
    but a local restaurante was raided and closed because of cats and dogs found in the freezer, and I'd eaten there a fair few times.

And game or hunted meat is ok, and there was a trend here a few years ago for, alligator, ostrich, kangaroo, available in the mainstream supermarkets, but after a few months it disappeared from the shelves. Had some buffallo or bison, in Canada a couple of times.... but end of the day, its hard to beat a prime tenderloin of a good beef, or pigs cheeks or simple ribs or lamb cutlets . and I mean lamb, not yearling.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Horse meat is just fine. I've had it for breakfast on a few ships.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

As a student I lived in an old farmhouse with friends. We often had horsemeat till we started keeping pigs.
    Last edited by FF; 04-12-2018 at 10:26 AM.

I don't mind the meat they put in hamburger, but I mind the cereal and whatever fillers that they add so that hamburgers no longer look or taste like beef. The frozen gray mush patties that almost all restaurants now use for hamburgers are not what I used to eat a couple of decades ago. The only way to get good ground beef anymore is to grind it yourself, which I never take the time to do.

I am getting better and better with vegetarian cooking; My Pesto alla Genovese is famous

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    I am getting better and better with vegetarian cooking; My Pesto alla Genovese is famous
    I get given fish by a friend - retired commercial fisherman who still runs his own small trawler. Apart from that, I'm wholly veggie (although not vegan) I think good, imaginative vegetarian food is just much more interesting than meat - flavours, textures, colours, combinations - everything.

It's a long time since I ate meat, although it's not a fetish and I would do if I was offered it as a guest - that's just decent manners. But I don't miss it in the slightest. The only exception is the wonderful salt marsh lamb we get here in the autumn, but that's only because it's the perfect foil for a really good bottle of Rioja or, if, I'm feeling extravagant, Pauillac. But I don't miss that enough to change my habit for it.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Good, short article on the subject:

"Beef’s environmental impact dwarfs that of other meat including chicken and pork, new research reveals, with one expert saying that eating less red meat would be a better way for people to cut carbon emissions than giving up their cars.

The heavy impact on the environment of meat production was known but the research shows a new scale and scope of damage, particularly for beef. The popular red meat requires 28 times more land to produce than pork or chicken, 11 times more water and results in five times more climate-warming emissions. When compared to staples like potatoes, wheat, and rice, the impact of beef per calorie is even more extreme, requiring 160 times more land and producing 11 times more greenhouse gases."

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...more-than-cars

We still eat homemade pastrami, which is beef brisket or round. Very rarely we'll have a burger or a steak at a restaurant.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

Meat is a very inefficient way of converting soil fertility to food, we can treble the food value produced by a given acreage by growing edible crops and I expect that over time animal meat will gradually become more and more expensive, less and less common until sometime off in the future we'll be for the most part a vegetarian society. Dont get me started on whats happening to the fisheries, we're right on the edge there.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

I could live without meat, but not without cheese. Problem is that cheese, milk comes from cows, 50% of the calves are bull. We should not have these super milk giving Frysian Holsteiners, freaks that produce milk and stay their entire life in big barns instead of meadows. Better the older races that give less milk and good beef for tasty stews. They can stay outdoor most of the year, do not need extra grain, so they are better for the world. Better quality food and then the prices can go up so farmers have a better life as well. Eat meat only once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Having just run across th... let me revise... "discovered" the phrase "frankenmeat", I find I'm a week behind things here...

Frankenmeat to one side, and discounting for the moment the esthetic concept of combining types of meats for deceptive purposes, what is so damn wrong with horsemeat that every time it comes up as a possible foodstuff? Is it emotional, as in 'we CAN'T eat Black Beauty' or a cultural hangover of horses used for drayage until there was nothing left on them but bone and some connective tissue and they were only candidates for "the glue factory"?

I side with the French in that horsemeat is just "Finer 'n frog's hair" for most meat-y purposes (especially stews) as long as you get the tack off them first.

Frankenmeat does disturb me a little bit, but only since I saw "Cloud Atlas".

(Burger, anyone?)
    Then of course there's 'Long Pig'…………………….

Some straight lines are too good to resist...

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Skippy for sure. But the rest of you can survive on Soylent Green
    Xanthorrea

white castle just announced they would begin offering impossible burgers

https://www.impossiblefoods.com/burger/
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Is there a reason I'm NOT getting excited about this?

I have 11 cows and 26 sheep. So I know exactly where my meat comes from, what its been fed, what medicines it's had, and what sort of a life it's lived. I like that.

[QUOTE=Paul Pless;5534091]white castle just announced they would begin offering impossible burgers

Not for me. Don't want meat. Never did like burgers. Fake meat in fake burgers? No thanks. (But good luck to them anyway)
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

I really like meat and will always eat it. These days we are cutting out starches more than meat.

But my wife goes out of her way to buy meat from a local butchery that does much of its own work, and buys the meat/carcasses locally. It costs more, but not all that much.

As for those statistics, sure, but the contrast with chickens and pigs does not mention the conditions that battery-fed chickens live in, and pigs as well. At least most cattle see the sun once in a while.

Bought beef and lamb ...its not really factory farmed, though there certainly can be food additives in feedstock. find out where it comes from.

Pork and chicken we all know the horror stories , so , raise your own or find a local farmer's market set-up that can be verified . avoid supermarket pork and chicken . There's a reason pork and chicken is cheaper a kilo than bread .
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Living without meat would be easy. Living without _cheese_, on the other hand, would be Hard Times!