Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why no Silicone???

Default Re: Why no Silicone???

OK, you have all convinced me not to use silicone to seal my floor deck hatches! So what is a more appropriate product? These polypropylene hatches (DPI Marine) are going into marine-grade plywood cutouts which have been seal-coated with unthickened epoxy.
    “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go -- so long as you do not stop.”
    -Confucius

Weather strip adhesive tape to form a flange gasket with sika or 3m bedding on the screws .

this is how boatbuilders install a Lewmar hatch.

gif image hosting
    Last edited by slug; 04-06-2016 at 02:19 PM.

I spent a frustrating day removing 4 portholes and 2 mushroom vents that were set/bedded/glued with a generous amount of silicone caulk. I recalled this thread and found it via a "search". My recollection was correct. I have a problem. I'm prepping to paint the cabin so the presence of silicone is a real disappointment (I'm less concerned about the silicone used for the mushroom vents as they were on a teak deck).

Questions:

- Any advice on prepping the "siliconized" area prior to painting. No sanding ...right?

- I assume I have a lesser problem with the mushroom vents because I will not be painting in this area but will re-attach using bedding compound applied over the area with the silicone residue....any issues here?

From what I recall from reading posts here, you'll need to remove all the materials that the silicone penetrated -- paint, wood, etc. You COULD TRY sanding and then scrubbing with lots of MEK (wear a good respirator with strong ventilation) to clean it all up, but I'm not sure...
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

If I remember correctly this yacht had windows bedded with silicone and they all had to be replaced when they developed bubbling and leaks around the edges.Hodgdon_MOTOR_BOATS_CLASSIC_MOTOR_BOATS_LIBERTY_17-Liberty-Transom-2.jpg
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

I used to work with a guy who was a car sprayer by trade, at one spray shop a disgruntled ex employee had sprayed a tin of pledge furniture polish (contains silicone) into the air intakes of the spray room as they were respraying a car.
    Result was loads of fish eyes all over it & the cost of a full strip & repaint meant it became a write off.
    I had a similar experience trying to varnish some beautiful flame figured Honduras mahogany, It had come out of an old bank as old counter tops, there was one section that kept fish eyeing no matter what i did. I think in the end meths got it clean but it caused me serious aggravation.

A torch will deal with the silicone residue.

And a few other things if you're not careful...

But in truth, silicone is just not that good a glue.
    Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 10-11-2018 at 09:58 AM.

"But in truth, silicone is just not that good a glue."

That's because it's not a glue.

If any of you wish to make your own glazing compound, here is what is in it! Begin by mixing the oil and whiting with a wide putty knife on a flat surface. Once it is to the constancy of biscuit dough, throw in a small amount of litharge powder and continue mixing until smooth. This is how we once made glass glazing and seam compound. It will, most likely, cost around a dollar a quart to make for the materials.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-12-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Sorry for the image size.

When painting cars we use a product like this to clean contaminants off the surface before painting.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    If any of you wish to make your own glazing compound, here is what is in it! Begom by mixing the oil and whiting with a wide putty knife on a flat surface. Once it is to the constancy of biscuit dough, throw in a small amount of litharge powder and continue mixing until smooth. This is how we once made glass glazing and seam compound. It will, most likely, cost around a dollar a quart to make for the materials.
    Jay
    Lead, lead and more lead. If it didn't work so well, I would give you a ration of s--, oops, poop for suggesting it. I will respectfully suggest an alternative at the end of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Thanks for that. I think you found a good cleaner. This site has a little more information, including the basic chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by MoMan View Post
    OK, you have all convinced me not to use silicone to seal my floor deck hatches! So what is a more appropriate product? These polypropylene hatches (DPI Marine) are going into marine-grade plywood cutouts which have been seal-coated with unthickened epoxy.
    Polypropylene is an excellent non-stick surface. And you need to stick something to it. Silicone will not stick at all. The product that I have seen recommended here that gets the most agreement and least criticism is a a butyl rubber sealant tape rope or caulk. Solar seal 900 sets up, but unlike 5200, it will squeeze out under enough pressure, so it might even work between planks.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

All:

Thanks for the help and information. Unfortunately, the flammability of the suggested solvents will prevent shipping to Alaska. We have well stocked automotive specialty paint store in town. I will check there.
    Alternatively, I realized the silicone sealant and residue was applied over a varnished surface. I may be able to remove the varnish below (and the silicone atop) with a heat gun.

Thanks again

Here are a few words about the use of lead, lead containing paint and other litharge containing products.

While I must admit that lead poisoning is a nasty thing, I have used quite a lot of lead and materials containing lead over the years I have been a boat builder, artist and sign painter. Using products that contain lead requires a bit of common sense and protection such as rubber gloves and breathng masks. I once knew a guy who ground lead keels and boat bottoms with a disk grinde professionaly. Eddy Eader wore a full body suit and a helmet that was connected to an air supply. He lived to a ripe old age before crossing the bar.

The truth of the current lead mania reflects back to tenament children in New York City who bacame sick from eating paint flakes from surfaces that contained leaded paint. Lead oxide is sweet in taste and that is why early chemical books refer lead oxide powder as "Sugars of Lead". Romans used it to sweeten sour wine and ended up going mad and dying at a early age. That is most than likely what drove Nero nuts as he plunked on his lyre while Rome burned!

When I must work with products that contain litharge, lead, or the metal itself, I am careful to take the many precautions necessary to avoid poisoning myself. This is just as if, I were working with etching acid, cyanide or a toxic pesticide. Even so, I have blood tests taken during yearly check ups as a normal routine. No evidence of heavy metals has ever been found to exist either in my hair, blood or whizz. Yes, I always wear safty glasses and a mask when using grinders, saws and other powered machinery. Nor do I burn painted wood scraps in the fireplace or shop stove.
    If I am sanding a hull that may be painted with lead contains paint, I wet sand and drape under the hull with disposable tarps. I should think that common sense is a better approach to working with lead than blind panic and finger pointing!

With Respect to you all!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-12-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankle Deep View Post
    All:

Thanks for the help and information. Unfortunately, the flammability of the suggested solvents will prevent shipping to Alaska. We have well stocked automotive specialty paint store in town. I will check there.
    Alternatively, I realized the silicone sealant and residue was applied over a varnished surface. I may be able to remove the varnish below (and the silicone atop) with a heat gun.

Thanks again
    Alaska? Shipping could be difficult. Just for grins I used the customer service request on the CRL website for a source in Alaska. They answered promptly with a link to a distributor in Florida.

I think you are on the right track with the automotive paint store. Steve's grease and wax remover might be your best bet. Halogenated solvents are also recommended, so a non-flammable brake cleaner might help, but it dries too fast and the fumes are bad for you.

List of cleaners: https://chemicalwiki.com/best-silicone-remover/

https://www.rdmag.com/article/2004/0...ination-part-1
    Two words, “silicone contamination,” are dreaded throughout the industrial world.
    https://www.finishing.com/399/79.shtml
    https://www.techsil.co.uk/media/wysi...hite_paper.pdf
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Quote Originally Posted by Curt G View Post
    The Airframe guys at Boeing will shoot anybody with a can of WD40 they see in the build area. Totally forbidden.
    Why? Does WD have silicone? Confused I am.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Because Boeing has developed their own...Boeshield T-9. It's actually a lubricant, unlike WD 40 which is a solvent. I find it superior to WD 40 for most of the things I used to use it for.
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Nick explained it:
    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Imagine being shot with a can of WD-40!
    Ouch!
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.