Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Suing Liars who do real damage

Default Suing Liars who do real damage

This would make me quite happy. And not just Fox --

Fox News reportedly fears its early downplaying of COVID-19 leaves it open to lawsuits

https://theweek.com/speedreads/90560...-open-lawsuits

Fox Business announced Friday that it has "parted ways" with Trish Regan, a prime time host who gained notoriety for suggesting on her March 9 show that the COVID-19 coronavirus was a politically motivated "scam." The decision "took some journalists and anchors at the network by surprise," The New York Times reports, because "Fox executives are accustomed to withstanding public pressure, and rarely make personnel moves that can be construed as validating criticisms of the network."

Fox Business wished Regan the best and said the network "will continue our reduced live primetime schedule for the foreseeable future" to focus on "the coronavirus crisis." On MNSBC Sunday morning, Vanity Fair's Gabriel Sherman said ousting Regan appears to be part of a larger effort to limit legal liability tied to the disconnect between Fox's public and private responses to the pandemic......
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Suing Liars who do real damage

Can we start with Trump?
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

I’d be very happy to see some lawsuits against Fox. Take out the State propaganda machine and Trump falls.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I’d be very happy to see some lawsuits against Fox. Take out the State propaganda machine and Trump falls.
    Of course. That would never backfire.

News Max
    One America News

Don't forget those, if Fox is broken there are others to fill the void. The genie is out of the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Can we start with Trump?
    Yes, you can. Lawyer up and go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Of course. That would never backfire.
    Post those lies, don't keep them to yourself, share with the rest of the class. If you can.

OAN, anyway, has been 'outed' as a Russian propaganda site. You'd think a bunch of patriots would be able to sniff that out.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

And delecta, of course. Surprised Scot hasn't fixed that lil' problem already.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

If the courts began finding culpable those who told lies which fostered that false narrative... resulting in delays in responding to the crisis...

might be some Bilge Rats that would need to be concerned, eh?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Post those lies, don't keep them to yourself, share with the rest of the class. If you can.
    Didn’t you just post that others would fill the void? Vanity Fair is providing you info? Really?

We checked; even Vanity Fair is more reliable than you. Or Fox. Or trump.... you get the drift?

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    We checked; even Vanity Fair is more reliable than you. Or Fox. Or trump.... you get the drift?
    The drift I get is your own closed minded little bubble full of hate, where you live, might need a little fresh air once in a while.

Nah - I'm good. And staying upwind of you.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    If the courts began finding culpable those who told lies which fostered that false narrative... resulting in delays in responding to the crisis...

might be some Bilge Rats that would need to be concerned, eh?
    no, I think they would go for de Blasio first.

no, I think they would go for de Blasio first.
    unless you’re talking about the ICC, which would begin with China.

Didn’t you just post that others would fill the void? Vanity Fair is providing you info? Really?
    Can't answer, eh?
    I'm not surprised.

Can't answer, eh?
    I'm not surprised.
    My point is that you answered your own question. Were there any more question marks in your posts?
    No, didn’t think so.

Can't answer, eh?
    I'm not surprised.
    My point is that you answered your own question. Were there any more question marks in your posts?
    No, didn’t think so.
    Funny, I don't see Vanity Fair mentioned anywhere in what I wrote. You have a real reading comprehension problem, don't you? Perhaps you should work on fixing it.

Funny, I don't see Vanity Fair mentioned anywhere in what I wrote. You have a real reading comprehension problem, don't you? Perhaps you should work on fixing it.
    George brought it up. Wasn’t he part of the “conversation “?

I was talking to you, not George.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    OAN, anyway, has been 'outed' as a Russian propaganda site. You'd think a bunch of patriots would be able to sniff that out.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Of course you can sue. Question is, "Can you win?"

Unlikely. as we, as a nation, have accepted this as free speech. I've been yelling that it's fraud for years, and getting almost no support.

I've been arguing that lying for political gain is no less fraud than a car dealer turning back an odometer; that the first amendment covers 'offensive speech', but does not protect fraud, libel, slander, or inciting violence.

Mostly I've been scoffed for these opinions. I've tried to get legislation introduced that would require those in office, running for office, working for either, and 'news' to get matters of fact correct.

Yes, you can sue, but unless you can convince a jury it's not free speech, you can't win.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Another example of Fox misleading the public and delaying our CV19 response...

Twitter Requires Fox News’ Laura Ingraham to Delete Post With ‘Misleading’ Coronavirus Claims

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...214434430.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Another example of the 'real damage' caused by the delays... while Trump worries about his image --

https://www.yahoo.com/news/days-fune...123120318.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Boston Globe --

Donald Trump ‘Has Blood On His Hands’ Over Coronavirus

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bosto...b62dd9f5d5b1e9

“a president unfit for a pandemic”
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

But Trump... has always had other concerns --

As Death Toll Mounts, Trump Brags That His TV Ratings Are As Big As ‘The Bachelor’

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump...b6cb9dc1a25a2b
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

The tweeting tw@t's daily brag.
    Spew.

Another example of ideologically-based (instead of fact-based) denial. And harm to others results. I wonder how Falwell views the notion of 'in loco parentis'. Probably doesn't know Latin, and just saw the 'loco' part --

Virginia orders end to in-person classes after Liberty University reopens

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/vi...of2&yptr=yahoo

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/2702...rs-end-to.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Erm.... no, I didn't. YOU did. You're fitting the OP profile really well!

Recognizing the profundity of their malfeasance... Republicans are now trying to shift blame. They are quite good... and quite without shame or scruples... when it comes to this 'spin' stuff --

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coron...b6d38d98a5571e
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

And it continues today. Trump is mucking up GM's efforts for a crash program of ventilator production --

Racing to build ventilators: stunned by Trump's vitriol

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/b...sultPosition=1
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Speaking of lies and liars:

The Big Lie that President Trump’s campaign will employ to rescue his reelection chances amid his catastrophic mishandling of the biggest U.S. public health emergency in modern times is edging into view.

Fittingly, it is being telegraphed by the author of the perfect catchphrase of the Trump era — “alternative facts.”

White House spinner Kellyanne Conway has offered a new defense of Trump that telegraphs the coming strategy. It doesn’t rest simply on the idea that Trump’s handling of coronavirus has been a decisive success, but also on the crucial idea that this crisis could not have been anticipated.

This new defense of Trump comes amid a truly seismic event: a massive capitulation to reality, in which Trump acknowledged that coronavirus deaths could be far higher than anyone can bear, leading him to extend strict social-distancing guidelines until at least the end of April.

The extraordinary emerging accounts of this abrupt reversal all tell a similar story. Horrifying TV imagery (mounting corpses in Queens) and attention-grabbing statistics (advisers told him a best-case scenario involves 100,000 to 200,000 U.S. deaths) finally penetrated for Trump.

This combined with hard-nosed politics to force Trump to abandon his reelection-driven desire to reopen the economy quickly. His political team is mindful of polls showing broad public support for keeping the economy on hold until the coronavirus is tackled, and it fears that a resurgent spike in deaths this fall could be worse for him than an immediate economic collapse.

It is in this deeply fraught context that Conway put forth her defense of Trump, as reported by The Post:

Trump “is presiding over the country’s response to an unanticipated, unprecedented pandemic of global proportions, and he is getting credit for his handling of the pandemic … In due time, he will preside over the great American comeback, which is more likely to be in the summer or fall, depending on the effectiveness of mitigation and relief efforts and the uncertain path of the virus itself.”

All the ingredients of the coming Big Lie campaign are there. The pandemic was not just an unprecedented challenge; it was one that no one could have anticipated. Trump has risen to the occasion in spite of the fact that everyone was caught off guard.

And any hard times to come, far from having been created in no small part by Trump himself, will be the occasion for him to rally the country back to (resumed) glory.

What all this suggests is that Trump’s political team appears to have decided that on the coronavirus, it cannot concede error of any kind on his part. This explains a great deal about this moment, but it also suggests the potential for extreme peril ahead.

Trump’s acceptance of reality is selective
    On a conference call with governors on Monday, Trump was pressed by Montana Gov. Steve Bullock about his state’s dire need for more testing equipment.

“I haven’t heard about testing in weeks,” Trump claimed, as a leaked audiotape of the call revealed. “I haven’t heard about testing being a problem.”

This is a ludicrous lie: Governors have been frantically demanding new testing equipment for some time. Investigative reporting has documented an extraordinary string of failures on the Trump administration’s part leading to current shortages. Those in turn spawned a “lost month” that helped allow the coronavirus to rampage out of control, with untold horrors ahead.

But what this shows, again, is that Trump’s acceptance of reality (when it comes to mounting deaths) only goes so far: He will continue to employ his magical reality-bending powers to mask his own previous failures to whatever degree he can.

That project rests heavily on the idea, as Conway put it, that this crisis was “unanticipated.” But that’s verifiable nonsense.

“It was only unexpected to people who chose not to pay attention — meaning Trump and a White House that has consistently downplayed and marginalized preparedness and readiness for exactly this scenario,” Jeremy Konyndyk, a senior fellow at the Center for Global Development, told me.

Trump vastly minimized the crisis in real time for weeks and weeks, at a time when his own health-care officials, as well as members of Congress and outside experts, were frantically doing the opposite, badly hampering the federal response.

Indeed, the Obama administration handed off a series of projected dire pandemic scenarios to the Trump administration as part of the transition, and it’s now overwhelmingly evident that none of those were taken to heart.

Trump’s pathologies threaten future damage
    All of that failure is well documented. But importantly, the emerging posture — in which no error can be acknowledged in Trump’s response — threatens the country going forward.

“It’s not merely misleading — it’s actively damaging to the response," Konyndyk told me. “One of the core principles of good disaster management is you have to be able to recognize and correct mistakes.”

“If the president’s perfect decision-making is the first principle from which everything else originates, that dynamic is a huge handicap,” Konyndyk continued. “It makes it really hard to rapidly acknowledge and correct errors.”

We’re seeing this on multiple fronts. The aforementioned failure to ramp up testing, and the ongoing failure to get needed testing equipment to desperate governors, is compounded by Trump’s insistence on claiming that no such testing failure exists — or ever has.

Meanwhile, Trump’s running failure to coordinate industry to produce lifesaving equipment on the needed scale flows directly from his long-running refusal to deploy the Defense Production Act to the degree required. After all, doing so would also require an admission of previous catastrophic error.

We simply don’t know how bad the consequences of all this will get. But we do know that Trump will never take responsibility for any of those consequences — and that his team will employ the Big Lie to create the impression that his only agency consists in his glorious success in rallying us back to greatness.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...w-big-lie-come/
    "I trust it [Russia Today] more that many elements of the Western media, which has demonstrated a much greater incentive to lie, or censor.'" -- Sky Blue, 03/27/20

"I don't take responsibility at all." -- Donald F. Trump, 03/13/20

Suspect he's feeling real pressure - have to re-write how he actually responded to all of this, waaay back in January; and there's a helluva lot of folks to blame for his shortcomings!

Aaaaaand... Fox is still at it --

Fox Nation hosts Diamond, Silk: Media is exaggerating the coronavirus pandemic to make Trump look bad

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gu...teid=rss&rss=1
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks