Thread: Hey commercial pilots, former commercial pilots, or friends thereof.

Default Hey commercial pilots, former commercial pilots, or friends thereof.

What will it take to get a professional at the controls of a 737 Max.
    Carpe Librum!

Default Re: Hey commercial pilots, former commercial pilots, or friends thereof.

A job offer.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Default Re: Hey commercial pilots, former commercial pilots, or friends thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    What will it take to get a professional at the controls of a 737 Max.
    What will it take to get a passenger to board one of those planes?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

A big red button that says “MCAS OFF”
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    A big red button that says “MCAS OFF”
    This!

It’s a poorly designed, ill handing aircraft. MCAS is a bandaid to cover up this fact. I wouldn’t fly it.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Buy 'em all back, paint 'em grey.... fit a couple of laser weapons and flog 'em off to dictators and despots for big bucks.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

"It’s a poorly designed, ill handing aircraft. MCAS is a bandaid to cover up this fact. I wouldn’t fly it."

I'm interested in this part. My father retired from a 30-year commercial career flying a 737-200 in 1976. At that time he considered it to be in his top three of planes he had flown. The others were a DC3 and the Spitfire IXb.

I would think the ill-handling part should be a major consideration yet. / Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    It’s a poorly designed, ill handing aircraft. MCAS is a bandaid to cover up this fact. I wouldn’t fly it.
    From what I have read, and I might not have this quite right, the Max was properly designed. The problems arose when the original engines were swapped out for larger and more efficient engines. Because the planes sat low to the ground, the engines had to be mounted further forward on the wings, which caused the nose to pitch up, which required software to override the pitch-up. The software was glitchy, planes fell out of the sky, and here we are.

Boeing can't go back to the original engines because then Airbus would have a huge advantage in efficiency and lower fuel costs. I suspect the final solution will be a new Boeing plane designed specifically for the larger engines. The Max will likely remain a pariah for both pilots and passengers, and a bottomless pit for Boeing.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    From what I have read, and I might not have this quite right, the Max was properly designed. The problems arose when the original engines were swapped out for larger and more efficient engines. Because the planes sat low to the ground, the engines had to be mounted further forward on the wings, which caused the nose to pitch up, which required software to override the pitch-up. The software was glitchy, planes fell out of the sky, and here we are.

Boeing can't go back to the original engines because then Airbus would have a huge advantage in efficiency and lower fuel costs. I suspect the final solution will be a new Boeing plane designed specifically for the larger engines. The Max will likely remain a pariah for both pilots and passengers, and a bottomless pit for Boeing.

You are correct insomuch as you don't have that quite right.

The MAX design was the larger engines - and the necessary makeup applied to the ugliness underneath. The original 737 was properly designed. The MAX iteration was most certainly not properly designed. You got the rest of it pretty much right.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem