Thread: Rebuilding costs

Default Rebuilding costs

Manville, NJ, made, I believe, national news for all the damage caused by the last major storm.

Many places suffered major damage, but I'm just aiming at Manville to make my point.

We can rebuild Manville, and it can be destroyed again by another major storm, or it can be rebuilt making it more storm resistant, or perhaps storm proof.

The latter will cost more money now, but less money in the future.

After Katrina, NO built higher levies, and they withstood the storm that it's previous levies would not have.

This is an area where the cheap turns out expensive in the long run, and it's a good reason as to why we should spend more money now to do it 'right', so we save money in the future.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Default Re: Rebuilding costs

mean old levee taught me to weep and moan, lord
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

You need to take into account who is paying for the rebuilding. In many areas insurance is a winning proposition for the property owner and a losing proposition for the insurer. That is partly why we see repeated damage and rebuilding.

While I think some people make poor economic decisions, I am willing to let them make their own decisions.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    You need to take into account who is paying for the rebuilding. In many areas insurance is a winning proposition for the property owner and a losing proposition for the insurer. That is partly why we see repeated damage and rebuilding.

While I think some people make poor economic decisions, I am willing to let them make their own decisions.
    Insurance will cover the loss, and cost of rebuilding a home. It won't cover the street. It won't cover additional cost of preventing the next storm from damaging that same home again.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Insurance will cover the loss, and cost of rebuilding a home. It won't cover the street. It won't cover additional cost of preventing the next storm from damaging that same home again.
    The federal government provides a lot of "insurance" for roads and infrastructure.

I understand you have a strong opinion of how others should handle this issue. I don't share that opinion.

I can afford a certain amount of expense to repair damage to my property. When I feel I can no longer afford that, I will make some other decision. I understand some individuals don't have a lot of choices. They can neither afford to build better or to relocate. They and everyone else are free to look at their options and make their choice.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Most of our insurance companies are bumping the premiums for at risk areas such as low lying coastal, river valleys and those exposed to potential high winds. Those higher insurance premiums are already a factor in property prices. There may be a lot of people who dont believe in global warming but the insurance companies sure do.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Down in the Flood / Crash on the Levee

" I am one of those white, common sense conservatives. I believe in science and I have not taken the shot.
    -- Sarah Palin, 9/16/21

" I am one of those white, common sense conservatives. I believe in science and I have not taken the shot.
    -- Sarah Palin, 9/16/21

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Most of our insurance companies are bumping the premiums for at risk areas such as low lying coastal, river valleys and those exposed to potential high winds. Those higher insurance premiums are already a factor in property prices. There may be a lot of people who dont believe in global warming but the insurance companies sure do.

John Welsford
    Here too.

AND in some instances, governments are refusing to allow new construction in such danger zones. And some insurance firms are refusing to underwrite coverage, while mortgage firms are requiring it.

But not enough... yet.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)