Thread: Kirstie Alley R.I.P.

Default Kirstie Alley R.I.P.

It is so very rare that a lovely woman can make me laugh, most often by poking fun at herself.

Originally from NBC News:

Kirstie Alley, 'Cheers' star, dies at 71

Actor Kirstie Alley, known for her role in the sitcom “Cheers,” has died after a recent diagnosis of cancer, her family said in a statement Monday. She was 71.

The cancer was only recently discovered, her family said.

"She was surrounded by her closest family and fought with great strength, leaving us with a certainty of her never-ending joy of living and whatever adventures lie ahead," the statement said. "As iconic as she was on screen, she was an even more amazing mother and grandmother."

Alley played bar manager Rebecca Howe in "Cheers."

She also played a memorable role as Saavik in “Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan,” and starred alongside John Travolta in “Look Who’s Talking,” among other roles.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/kirstie-alley-cheers-star-dies-at-71/ar-AA14WOzv?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=ad1951f60445 451fb0ab03a193511975
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Default Re: Kirstie Alley R.I.P.

i crushed on her as saavik in the wrath of khan
    i think i was thirteen

3ea18553dbbf53f8-600x338.jpg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

71?

ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    71?

ffs.
    She had some issues. Emotional issues which led to some substance abuse issues... and some strange politics.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

ok, but, 71?

i thought our reptilian overloads were supposed to live forever.

Dudes, calm yourselves, she did not die! Her thetan has moved into a new human host.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

oh ...
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Guys, if you are looking to actors for guidance in politics or religion, then you are even dumber than they are.

She made me laugh. She was fun. She will be missed.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

71?

ffs.
    I know. How did memories get old?

71?

ffs.
    Cancer sucks. Period.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

71 is the new dead young? Cancer sucks ditto.

Tom

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Kirstie Alley died or the person who ate Kirstie Alley died ?

She was married to Parker Stevenson for more than a decade. He'd been a schoolmate friend before college (he went to Princeton) and we all knew him by his original name 'Richie' Parker. He and Kirstie adopted two lucky children, both now grown. But she cheated on Richie with Patrick Swayze during the filming of "North and South, Book Two" and it went downhill from there.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 12-06-2022 at 12:25 PM.
    "Be curious, not judgmental." - (Misattributed to Walt Whitman as recalled by) Ted Lasso

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Cancer sucks. Period.
    Ayup...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    She had some issues. Emotional issues which led to some substance abuse issues... and some strange politics.
    And maybe a little hot headed too. But loved by her family that is the important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Guys, if you are looking to actors for guidance in politics or religion, then you are even dumber than they are.

She made me laugh. She was fun. She will be missed.
    I worked in the theater as a stagehand/carpenter/technical director for 15 years, there are a lot of very smart actors out there.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

^ actors, directors, writers etc.. yep

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    ...But she cheated on Richie with Patrick Swayze ...
    Sometimes I just hate learning things. I hate both parts of that story, but I don't hold it against you for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    I worked in the theater as a stagehand/carpenter/technical director for 15 years, there are a lot of very smart actors out there.
    I didn't really say otherwise. And if we are going to be honest, there are plenty that are dumb as stumps. My point is celebrity does not make a person worth following. As an example, Van Morrison is one of my favorite musicians, but he has shown himself to be more than a bit of an @ss during the COVID lock down. Another recent example would be Elon Musk - a very smart guy, but not someone to be listened to outside of what he has done with technology.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Ayup...
    ditto

Colon cancer - it's called a silent killer since it goes undetected until too late.

Another good reason to get your colonoscopy on schedule. I'm about due for mine.

We need more blood tests that can detect various cancers before they become symptomatic. It's hard to imagine a medical breakthrough that would be more valuable or save more lives.