Thread: Yesterday's elections; a preview of things to come?

Default Yesterday's elections; a preview of things to come?

Dems took control of Va Legislature. Dem won Kentucky Gov. race

Turnout was high. Trump becoming toxic?
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Default Re: Yesterday's elections; a preview of things to come?

"Don't count your chickens..."

Virginia maybe. That's another step in the long process where the Ex-Confederacy has been getting less monolithically conservative, and suburbs turning from purple to blue. Kentucky was a bit of an anomaly, as Bevin's a flaming *sshole, and managed to irritate a LOT of people.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

The left coast of Mississippi was all blue except for the Memphis suburbs.

2019 MS gov election.png

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Two rallies within 10 days of one another didn't do anything to help in Louisiana.
    Nosce te ipsum

It seems to have helped quite a bit, although in exactly the opposite way of what he intended.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

From what I've heard of the democratic governor's views, he's a moderate-right. Poo-poos the impeachment of Trump and holds other views that make him sound like a Republican of ten years ago. That's the only way for a democrat to win in the deep south.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

^ That works for me. Anything so long as it is not Republican. The Louisiana race really shows people are starting to get really tired of the Trump act.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Is it a matter of people changing their minds, or is it more Democrats motivated to get out and vote?
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    ^ That works for me. Anything so long as it is not Republican. The Louisiana race really shows people are starting to get really tired of the Trump act.
    I'd love to believe that. But he's an incumbent. And he's 'Republican Lite'. So I'd want to see further evidence before I allowed myself to believe that the bayou's are becoming 'woke'. <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I'd like to think some people are starting to see the obvious: Mexico's not paying for the wall, they didn't see a chunk of cash from his tax cuts, etc.... So maybe the ones who would vote Republican are not voting. Maybe more Democratic voters are energized.

At any rate, I like the trend.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    The left coast of Mississippi was all blue except for the Memphis suburbs.

2019 MS gov election.png
    Whats the geographic issue that has created such a relatively even political divide?

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

#12: don't need the bayous to become 'woke'. Just need them to turn Democrat, whatever flavor that may be.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Whats the geographic issue that has created such a relatively even political divide?

John Welsford

The issue is racial.
    Rattling the teacups.

So which groups live on which sides?

Rick

bump
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    What's the geographic issue that has created such a relatively even political divide?

John Welsford
    Here you go. I think the origin is that 150 years ago in the delta, the western area along the river, most of the land was part of very large farms growing cotton, with lots and lots of slaves, and relatively fewer white folks. Here are maps showing the current population demographics:

And by God, here's a map showing the percentage of the population who were slaves in 1860! Looks awfully similar, doesn't it?

Last edited by Keith Wilson; 11-18-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Richard Feynman

Thanks.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Here you go. I think the origin is that 150 years ago inthe delta, the western area along the river, most of the land was part of very large farms growing cotton, with lots and lots of slaves, and relatively fewer white folks. Here are maps showing the current population demographics:

. . .

And by God, here's a map showing the percentage of slaves in 1860! Looks awfully similar, doesn't it?

Excellent work, Keith!

The blue area that was 12.2% slave is Jones County aka the 'Free State of Jones', which seceded from the Confederacy, and fought them tooth and nail.
    Rattling the teacups.

Rarely has the long shadow of history been clearer. My understanding is that the Mississippi delta was one place where the stereotype originated of the huge plantation with the big white greek-revival house, large slave quarters out back, miles and miles of cotton fields surrounding, and a semi-feudal class structure. You could make a lot of money off of cotton in 1855.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the county lines - either they were changed, or the one map isn't using counties. Doesn't really matter to the point.

Richard Feynman

I appears that Trump has become "a human repellent spray" for suburban voters who generally lean conservative.

For the second time in weeks, President Donald Trump's personal bid to lift a Republican candidate to victory in a closely fought gubernatorial race failed.

On Saturday, socially conservative Democrat John Bel Edwards won his reelection bid in the deep red-state of Louisiana, beating Republican challenger Eddy Rispone with 51% of the vote to 49%.

It came soon after a Democratic victory in another tightly fought election in a southern state, when the party's candidate, Andy Beshear, won the Kentucky gubernatorial race.

The results underscore some worrying trends for Republicans.

They've exposed the limits of Trump's personal capacity to help Republican candidates win, as in both cases the president campaigned hard for the losing GOP candidate.

And they show that support from a key demographic of Republican voters — those living in the suburbs of major cities — may be waning.

In Jefferson Parish, the most populous of the suburban New Orleans parishes, Edwards took 60% of the vote — reported the Associated Press — with only half of the voters who'd backed Trump in 2016 backing the GOP candidate. In 2016, Trump's Democratic rival Hillary Clinton took only 41% of the vote.

In partly urban and partly suburban east Baton Rouge, Edwards took 66% of the vote, reported CNN. This is a significant increase on the 52% of the vote Clinton won in 2016.

Also key to the victory was strong turnout by African-American voters in urban areas.

In Kentucky on November 5, Democrat Beshear won in large part thanks to strong support in suburban areas.

The results mirror those in the 2018 midterms, when Democrats seized back control of the House of Representatives partly by winning suburban areas in states including Pennsylvania, and Illinois. Recent further gains for Democrats in Pennsylvania compound the trend.

A shift to the Democrats in the suburbs also defined the early November state legislature elections in Virginia, in which Democrats claimed control of each of the state's legislative bodies, flipping a series of traditionally Republican seats.

"If you had any doubt that Trump was a human repellent spray for suburban voters who have a conservative disposition, Republicans getting wiped out in the suburbs of New Orleans, Louisville and Lexington should remove it," Tim Miller, a Republican strategist, told The New York Times.

Though neither Kentucky nor Louisiana are likely to vote for a Democratic president in next year's election, this growing national trend will likely cause alarm to Republicans, as it could be a key factor in races in swing states like Pennsylvania and North Carolina.

"They continue to lose needed support in suburban districts, especially among women and college-educated voters," Republican strategist Rick Tyler told Fortune in early November.

"That trend, if not reversed, is a death spiral."

https://www.businessinsider.com/loui...-trump-2019-11
    "No matter which faction of the party with which you identify, whether left, center left, centrist, blind partisan, social justice warrior, Dem leaning Indie, or Never-Trumper, job one is defeating these Republicans badly enough that they will BACK THE F OFF.

If that doesn't happen, there will be no climate change fix, no inequality fix, no better health care, jobs, .... no future. It is vital to stop them now and do it decisively." -- sonofswen