Thread: A Chelsea Tractor

Default A Chelsea Tractor

range rover.jpg

Don't think it's in Chelsea though.

Default Re: A Chelsea Tractor

Chelsea Tractors in their natural habitat:

https://youtu.be/CR354DnfPi0
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 02-25-2020 at 08:40 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I like what the real farmers are doing with equipment. Note even the trailer behind the tractor has tracks (under the tanks, besides the outrigger wheels), proving it isn't just for traction. If you can float equipment over the field without compressed ruts, the whole soil biochemistry can improve. Otherwise you mush into water table which propagates altered PH, minerals, etc. Of course this equipment costs a fortune:

"Liberalism, once professing to advocate liberty, now is a movement for control over property, trade, work, amusements, education, and religion" - Russell Kirk

^ One did not need to take the tractor onto the cultivated part of the field at all.

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by rudderless View Post
    I like what the real farmers are doing with equipment. Note even the trailer behind the tractor has tracks (under the tanks, besides the outrigger wheels), proving it isn't just for traction. If you can float equipment over the field without compressed ruts, the whole soil biochemistry can improve. Otherwise you mush into water table which propagates altered PH, minerals, etc. Of course this equipment costs a fortune:

Yes, over £300k just for the tractor..
    https://www.mascus.co.uk/agriculture.../qdukujmi.html
    I'm still an atheist - thank God!

I was doing a report writing workshop with a customer, a dealer of red tractors from the south of south island, when he got all excited and declared the working week over (it was Thursday afternoon).

The refreshed report showed $2M for the day, a sale of 2 tractors, one for $1.2M and the other $800K! Even after halving those numbers for the GBP conversion, that's a lot of money for a couple of tractors.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

I can believe that many Rangies are in that area. My Late Grandmother was from Kensington pre-war. Even back then it was a very posh place.

I own a landy, not quite as sophisticated
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Vintage French tractors:

"Liberalism, once professing to advocate liberty, now is a movement for control over property, trade, work, amusements, education, and religion" - Russell Kirk

I put some spray out today

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Just aquired this:
    2019_0303gaterail0015.jpg
    Slightly more modest, an Energic 511 that needs a lick of paint. Unused for 20 plus yrs.
    Modern French girls not too fond of pulling ploughs
    A2

Returning to the OP theme -

Top of the range Range Rover SVAutobiography is the most expensive model ever (£165k) ..

The petrol V8, fitted in both standard and long wheelbase forms, has been retuned to match the Range Rover Sport SVR's outputs. Its power figure rises by 40bhp and the torque figure by 41lb ft over the standard supercharged V8 petrol used in lesser Ranger Rovers, to a substantial 543bhp and 502lb ft of torque. (Which you absolutely need to navigate around Chelsea )
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...-autobiography

On the other hand you could have a Roller (from £252k) -
    - is this a vehicle Rolls-Royce should be making? To which the answer is ‘obviously’, because buyers want a Rolls-Royce they can drive daily, take the family in, take skiing, shooting or replace a Range Rover with -
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...royce/cullinan

Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Dammit! Now I have to get a collection of those models to put on a shelf in my workshop.

I quite fancy the Grey Fergie - enormously popular in these parts. In fact there are at least two around here which are fully restored and in service.

and a Fordson Dexta..

I love the way the Fordson model appears to have a slightly dented radiator, just like a real one

When I worked as an agri-engineer we used to tease any young farm lad who was driving a Fordson Dexta by saying "Hey your engine is only running on three cylinders" - of course the Dexta only has three cylinders
    Last edited by isla; 02-25-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Little grey Ferguson tractors have a cult following across the UK, not least because they are still useful thanks to their small size. They were famously the first tractors with a three point link and their equipment is not compatible but you can still pick up the two furrow plough, harrow, etc.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Little grey Ferguson tractors have a cult following across the UK, not least because they are still useful thanks to their small size. They were famously the first tractors with a three point link and their equipment is not compatible but you can still pick up the two furrow plough, harrow, etc.
    They became the Ford over here (2N, 8N, 9N) & you can still find thousands in use. The 3 pt. hitch was changed to standard - so they'll run most any implement. I learned to drive on a 1947 2N & while it said Ford on the dash, the grille said Ferguson. Their drawback is not having live PTO - so if you're running a brush-hog or other "flywheel" type of implement, you need a clutch in the PTO shaft. DAMHIKT

The LR in the OP sure ain't a Series or Defender, eh?

ETA: Now that I think on it, I believe the PTO spline was non-standard, so you had to buy an adapter.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Ferguson invented the 3 point lift and Ford decided to 'borrow' the idea. I think it made Ferguson the only person to take Ford to court and win.

My little effort has no PTO, electrics, hydraulics or 3-point, but does come with a plough and harrow. Single pot air-cooled petrol, with hand crank and decompressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    Ferguson invented the 3 point lift and Ford decided to 'borrow' the idea. I think it made Ferguson the only person to take Ford to court and win.

My little effort has no PTO, electrics, hydraulics or 3-point, but does come with a plough and harrow. Single pot air-cooled petrol, with hand crank and decompressor.
    Learn something new every day. I always thought Ford had purchased it from Ferguson. Seems they did have a deal to begin with, but things fell apart? https://livinghistoryfarm.org/farmin...ines_0204.html

Most gray small tractors around here (NE Kansas) are Fords. Mine is a Fergie TO20. When it always starts and my modern stuff doesn't, it inspired me to start building the next best thing in a car, a Triumph TR4.
    "Song, song of the North
    Red, White, and Blue worn every July Fourth
    Truth is marching on
    Factories all closed, holes in the border fence
    We applied for the jobs but never got a chance
    Father was a John Bircher and a Republican
    Get a college professor to vote like that"

me thinks that many here have never heard that RRs are referred to as "chelsea tractors" before and took this on a wholly different tangent
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    me thinks that many here have never heard that RRs are referred to as "chelsea tractors" before and took this on a wholly different tangent
    I went along with the tanget 'cuse I've never liked Range Rovers. Series & Defenders - just fine. Yes, I know a RR chassis (old style) is the same as a Defender - but the RR body is fugly & uncomfortable.

I'm always surprised how inexpensive the RR's are on the used market around here, indicative of the repair costs when long in the tooth. Would sure love to have an old Defender though..

I have an older and what is considered one of the worst Landys.. the Second Series Discovery. I have not found any of the parts all that more expensive to procure nor install than any other vehicle on the road. I did have to replace the engine at 85ish thousand miles when it dropped a liner, but that was to be expected (it's a known design flaw with the DII) but other than that.. I am at 110,000 miles now and I have to replace the two transmission cooling lines because one is weeping. Everything works, nothing squeaks, and aside from it's appalling thirst due to it's full time 4x4 drivetrain and brick like aerodynamics, I have been very happy with it.

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    I have an older and what is considered one of the worst Landys.. the Second Series Discovery. I have not found any of the parts all that more expensive to procure nor install than any other vehicle on the road. I did have to replace the engine at 85ish thousand miles when it dropped a liner, but that was to be expected (it's a known design flaw with the DII) but other than that.. I am at 110,000 miles now and I have to replace the two transmission cooling lines because one is weeping. Everything works, nothing squeaks, and aside from it's appalling thirst due to it's full time 4x4 drivetrain and brick like aerodynamics, I have been very happy with it.
    I put a 300TDI in a Disco (5 speed). It got 28MPG or a little better @ 70MPH on the highway. 'fraid the thirst is mostly from that appalling 4.0 V8.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I put a 300TDI in a Disco (5 speed). It got 28MPG or a little better @ 70MPH on the highway. 'fraid the thirst is mostly from that appalling 4.0 V8.
    Mine is the even worse 4.6. I found a company in ohio that makes a kit to put the Chevy LS series engines into the Disco. I might look into seeing how they do with a much more modern engine

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Dammit! Now I have to get a collection of those models to put on a shelf in my workshop.

I quite fancy the Grey Fergie - enormously popular in these parts. In fact there are at least two around here which are fully restored and in service.

and a Fordson Dexta..

I love the way the Fordson model appears to have a slightly dented radiator, just like a real one

When I worked as an agri-engineer we used to tease any young farm lad who was driving a Fordson Dexta by saying "Hey your engine is only running on three cylinders" - of course the Dexta only has three cylinders
    Not trying to be a dick,but the blue one looks to me like a Major,which would be 4 cyl.
    The front axle support is a giveaway.
    A Dexta front end looks more like an 8N or the Fergie
    R
    Last edited by Ron Williamson; 02-25-2020 at 06:52 PM.
    Sleep with one eye open.

I actually made the mistake of owning a RR once. It was about 10 years old at the time, just about when the air suspension, the electrics and the heater core all start letting go. It bled me dry for a couple of years before I wised up and got rid of it.

But my tractor just goes and goes.

I always thought that the Chelsea Tractor label was a bit derogatry, making fun of people who thought it neccessary to drive a bulky 4x4 in urban traffic to give some impression that they needed such caperbilities.
    As for owning one, they usually come at the bottom of the reliability tables and are very expensive to fix, hence the price drop when a few years old. Local friend went for lunch in his three year old RR. Finally got thear back three weeks later, at some cost (!) after it refused to respond after they had dined. Had to be dragged away to LR's agent, with some difficulty, as the steering was locked full over. Nearly two hours to get it on the recovery truck. He now drives an X5.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    I always thought that the Chelsea Tractor label was a bit derogatry,
    Reminds me of walking around a coastal suburb in Sydney with a mate of mine. We walked past a car that had really big patches of rust all over it from the salt spray. My friend said "That finish is really popular around here- it's called Bondi Metalflake"

I had a grey Fergie tractor- TEA 20. I paid six hundred dollars for it and used it mainly for snigging logs out of thick scrub, but it had blade, ploughs, stick rake, slasher and super spreader, so it was a handy little unit. I hadn't used it for a while and the feller I was working with asked if he could buy it. I said take it and pay me whatever you reckon it's worth. A couple of months later he handed me an envelope with two and a half grand in it. I said you gotta be kidding. He said that's the average they sell for it that condition so here ya go. I actually tried to make him take money back and he refused. JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    Not trying to be a dick,but the blue one looks to me like a Major,which would be 4 cyl.
    The front axle support is a giveaway.
    A Dexta front end looks more like an 8N or the Fergie
    R
    I think you're right (it's been 40 years since I worked on these things ) - This is a Dexta..

We used an 8N,but the neighbour had a Dexta that was so much better.
    I would have married it,if that wasn't against the law.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

R
    Perhaps a step too far - But looking at the photo in #30, I was thinking how great it would be to own one today

Returning to the OP again..

A £63,000 “Chelsea Tractor” has been named Britain’s most unreliable car.
    The Range Rover Sport scored just one star out of five for reliability in motors less than three years old, in a survey by Which?.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/1032...nreliable-car/

R
    Was it gay?

Impolite to kiss and tell.
    IMG_1852.jpg
    Current ride in winter gear.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.