Thread: I think smaller boats are more fun

Default I think smaller boats are more fun

This isn't a very good photo, but it's the only one I have of the skiff we built a few years before I was of driving age. Had to slow down for a guy named Loomis to take this photo

In an age where the big outboards were 40hp, this little boat was quite fast and a bunch of fun2.jpg

I also had the Snark's Sunfish type and that was great fun.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Default Re: I think smaller boats are more fun

Agreed. Some of my fondest memories of growing up are the pair of small rowing skiffs at the cabin. And the pair of tiny hydroplanes. And the 8' plywood pram w/3hp Evinrude and oars we kept at home.

Smaller boats are easier to manage, and therefore get used more often. And they are more immediately engaging.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Its been said before, and there is much truth in the saying, that "the amount of fun you get from your boat, is in an inverse ratio to the size". A big boat is a big commitment, a small one can be there just for fun rather than a lot of hard work.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Foryears I sailed an Outred Macgreggor canoe, I still have it, and with the restrictions in place here now I am sailing it again. It can sail more or less on a couple of inches of water if needs be.

I agree. I just got rid of my "big boat", my SeaSprite 23 and bought a Montgomery 17. Small boats bring your closer to the water and the essence of boating.

Growing up my best friend had a small skiff with a 40hp that he traded in for an IO powered boat with a GM4 (iron duke powered) and finally bought a Formula with Twin V8s. While the Formula allowed us to go out into the ocean, it was no more fun than the skiff because of it's fuel bill to use it. 5 gallons in fuel was all day in the skiff vs 100 gallons in the Formula.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

And where do you draw the line by restoration and rebuilding? Do we really have to have this old argument? Small boats are good for some people in some situations. Big boats are good for others. I'd hate to cruise oceans in the boat pictured in the OP. And to be honest, if my wife got in, it might actually sink🤣

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    And where do you draw the line by restoration and rebuilding? Do we really have to have this old argument? Small boats are good for some people in some situations. Big boats are good for others. I'd hate to cruise oceans in the boat pictured in the OP. And to be honest, if my wife got in, it might actually sink��

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    This was a hell of a lot of fun when the wind picked up.

mach112.jpg
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

The most enjoyable boat I ever owned was an 18' Lund with a 25HP 4-stroke Suzuki. Next to no maintenance, very economical, rowable in tight spots, no worries putting it on a cobble beach, and fast enough to outrun the weather.

Amen brother John, write idea but wrong type.

IMG_4824.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I believe this would be perfect. I'd been contemplating different ways to put a small electric motor on it, but in reality I'm better off using this as it was designed--as a dual rowing/sailing craft.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    IMG_4824.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I believe this would be perfect. I'd been contemplating different ways to put a small electric motor on it, but in reality I'm better off using this as it was designed--as a dual rowing/sailing craft.

Jeff C
    Get the "Southwester" A couple of feet better than the Skerry, but can handle a small outboard in the optional well.

SW Dory Port Townsend 091115 -010.jpg
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    This isn't a very good photo, but it's the only one I have of the skiff we built a few years before I was of driving age. Had to slow down for a guy named Loomis to take this photo

In an age where the big outboards were 40hp, this little boat was quite fast and a bunch of fun2.jpg

that thar looks like a skimmar

Since learning to sail, my feeling is that small boats are more fun to sail, big boats are more fun for entertaining like anchoring and serving multi-course dinners, often involving some form of grilled or smoked meat. Big boats also hold sway for traveling and liveaboards, though Dinghy Cruising by Margaret Dye holds to the contrary.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post

When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.