Thread: Starr and Dershowitz joining Trump's defense.

Default Starr and Dershowitz joining Trump's defense.

Dershowitz promises to keep his underpants on.
    Carpe Librum!

Default Re: Starr and Dershowitz joining Trump's defense.

Because Giuliani is now a co-conspirator?

Starr has been very public making 'helpful, arms-length, civic minded' suggestions to the Dems for a while now. Part of a pre-deranged disinformation campaign, methinks.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Dersh hilariously frothed, bridled, and generally came unglued on CNN, MSNBC etc. if another talking head TV commentator described Dersh as representing the Trump side of whatever question brought them there.

"I am not a Trump defender, I'm just defending the law." He said regularly, e.g., to Geoffrey Toobin.

Hmm. Says the guy now officially tapped as one of Trump's leading defence lawyers.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I wonder how they expect to defend against reality. And with a client who counsel can't trust not to undermine them because he's driven by demons --

‘Jealous’ Trump mocked as a ‘self-loathing manbaby with crippling insecurities’ after latest Bloomberg rant

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/01/jea...loomberg-rant/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

All they have left is what Priebus signalled the other day: not claiming that Trump's actions didn't happen. Just that they weren't as bad as all that.

Not outside the scope of bipartisan prior (and ongoing) behaviour, and certainly not impeachable.

It's bull, of course. As someone wrote the other day, it's a defence kinda like if G. Gordon Liddy and the Plumbers went on TV interviews saying "Sure, we did the Watergate thing, at Nixon's direction. But don't be such weenies about it!"
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

[IMc - I am sure that plenty of media folk are collecting assorted Starr quotes from the Clinton persecution (not prosecution) to air in contrast to what he spouts now.]

Published on Friday, January 17, 2020, by Common Dreams

'Are You F*cking Kidding Me:?' Monica Lewinsky Reacts to Ken Starr Joining Trump's Impeachment Defense Team
    "That's the message Trump wants to send for his impeachment?" asked another critic after president announced legal team for Senate trial.

by Common Dreams staff

Monica Lewinksy was among those expressing shock Friday morning after it was announced that Ken Starr and Robert Ray—both of whom served as special prosecutors in the investigation that led to the impeachment of President Bill Clinton in the 1990s—were appointed by President Donald Trump to be part of his legal defense team during the U.S. Senate's impeachment trial.

As Politico reports, Starr and Ray, along with Harvard Law School's Alan Dershowitz and former Florida attorney general Pam Bondi, will "serve as clean-up hitters behind White House counsel Pat Cipollone and Jay Sekulow" for Trump's six-person team of lawyers.

Trump's legal "dream team" left other critics also unimpressed:

"Of all the lawyers in the country, Trump chose Ken Starr—who was fired from Baylor University over a rape scandal—and Alan Dershowitz—who helped pedophile rapist Jeffrey Epstein stay out of prison," tweeted Keith Boykin, a political commentator for CNN. "That's the message Trump wants to send for his impeachment?"

How does one defend a client who perpetually shoots himself in the foot? By the time Fox gets done spinning, downplaying, or outright ignoring these things... his base remains clueless. But the same will not hold true for a judge, nor - most likely - a jury --

Trump again denied knowing Lev Parnas. So Parnas' lawyer posted more robust proof.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/89009...e-robust-proof

Despite a warning from Lev Parnas, President Trump claimed not to know him again Thursday. "I don't know Parnas, other than I guess I had pictures taken, which I do with thousands of people," Trump told reporters in the Oval Office. "I don't know him at all, don't know what he's about, don't know where he comes from, know nothing about him. ... I don't believe I've ever spoken to him."
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Dershowitz will implode but not before defending trumps lies and immorality to the best of talking head television commentary. I met that fool when he was defending OJ. He is almost unable to get out of his own way if he get the limelight.

I have little to no respect for Dershowitz and less for Starr. One can hope they give the most incompetent performances of their lives. Dershowitz is an accused philanderer in his own right of course.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Dersh is trying to make the argument that he isn't really a member of the defence team. Just that he had been invited to make an hour long presentation on Tuesday about why the impeachment charges don't square with the Constitution.

Which as Neil Katyal observed is a role which courts define as being a "witness". An "expert witness for the defence" is how I think it would normally go.

So apparently the Senate is having some even before Senators take a vote on whether they are allowed.

So he'll be the witness to testify why we don't need witnesses to testify? Now that's an expert witness.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Starrs and Barrs are destroying the Stars and Bars.

I loved Lewinsky's reaction. Priceless.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Starrs and Barrs are destroying the Stars and Bars.
    Nicely done, sir.

Nicely done!
    Rattling the teacups.

Pam Bondi is on trumps* legal team? Really? This is rich:

Great line at #13 but this is the "Stars and Bars".

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Great line at #13 but this is the "Stars and Bars".
    Yeah, poetic license.

And laden with irony. I actually love it. Imagine if Starr and Barr were actually about destroying the bigotry, hate, and ignorance represented by the Stars and Bars.

I went to Waco where Baylor is some years ago to watch one of my grandsons graduate.
    Ken Starr was handing out diplomas.
    I despised Starr then and I despise him now, although I love my grandson, Christian, and always will. He went on to law school in Pencilvaner and now has a family of his own, while Starr remains a POS!

More guns for hire………. just throw money

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Dersh hilariously frothed, bridled, and generally came unglued on CNN, MSNBC etc. if another talking head TV commentator described Dersh as representing the Trump side of whatever question brought them there.

"I am not a Trump defender, I'm just defending the law." He said regularly, e.g., to Geoffrey Toobin.

Hmm. Says the guy now officially tapped as one of Trump's leading defence lawyers.
    I'm not working for the guy who's paying me. That makes sense?
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Strange times. Trump keeps denying knowing people who have proof to the contrary. Lev has produced considerable supporting documentation.

More information continues to come out, and even if it's not introduced in the trial, the senators, and their constituents, will know about it.

We now have an official government agency stating emphatically 'TRUMP BROKE THE LAW". That seems to put the Great Alan D. under water.

If enough information comes out, all of it damning to the president, and polls show his popularity shrinking considerably, his acquittal may not be a foregone conclusion. Or it may not be by as wide a vote margin as has been predicted.

My gut says he loses support every time new information is made public. If his 40% (which I believe is what it is) drops to 35%, 33%, 30%......

is there a point where he simply becomes toxic?
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

This should settle the whole thing. Change the laws that affect him. Maybe even do it retroactively?

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump...052319359.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    How does one defend a client who perpetually shoots himself in the foot? By the time Fox gets done spinning, downplaying, or outright ignoring these things... his base remains clueless. But the same will not hold true for a judge, nor - most likely - a jury --

Trump again denied knowing Lev Parnas. So Parnas' lawyer posted more robust proof.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/89009...e-robust-proof

Despite a warning from Lev Parnas, President Trump claimed not to know him again Thursday. "I don't know Parnas, other than I guess I had pictures taken, which I do with thousands of people," Trump told reporters in the Oval Office. "I don't know him at all, don't know what he's about, don't know where he comes from, know nothing about him. ... I don't believe I've ever spoken to him."
    Now R John Dean - of Watergate 'fame' - is saying something similar --

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/john-...b632117615d4b2

Dean dismissed the arguments as a “scorched earth” strategy that could alienate the many lawyers in the Senate. “I think it’s actually going to insult some of the lawyers in the Senate. If their more detailed brief is of the same tone, they’re making a serious mistake,” Dean said. “Lawyers are not going to buy into this. Most members of the Senate, both parties, are lawyers.”
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks