Thread: What’s the most lost thing you have found?

Default What’s the most lost thing you have found?

I’m always finding things I’ve misplaced. It’s just the way I live and I’ve accepted it. From one moment to the next, the tv remote, or the fork I was just using, can vanish without a trace.

The are several things I’ve been keeping an eye out for for years, but they have not turned up yet.

The most lost thing I found was a wallet. I later found that instead of putting it into my jacket pocket, a perfectly reasonable thing to do, I had stuck it into the jacket arm (it was draped on a chair). I must have checked the jacket pockets a dozen times.

Default Re: What’s the most lost thing you have found?

My wife lost her keys and phone almost every day.

I bought her the ringer finder thing..

Best thing ever.

Renovating a kitchen in an old house we'd bought we found a gold chain bracelet with gold and silver tokens on it. There was an old phone number, but throught the older neighbours we found a woman in her 60's, who'd lost it when she was 8.

I found a species of ciliate that's been missing since 1833.

I rediscovered an old girlfriend from h.s. who I thought had died. Instead she'd moved to Belgium and had no idea how word had gotten back to the U.S. that she was deceased. She came back to Oregon in her late 20's, and looked up some old friends, including me. We had a glorious reunion. The physical part was better than ever. But we had most definitely grown apart. She was looking for a church-oriented, middle-class, 'normal' life. I was a hippy/bohemian woodworker who raced cars, rode motorcycles, and had, at that time, 2 existing girlfriends.

Back from the dead is definitely the 'most lost' recovery for me.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Found a little Buster Brown saddle shoe in a wall in our kitchen. It was kinda creepy.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

My wife lost her keys, very unusual for her. Car key with the electronics ie expensive. School key, they changed the locks, stuff like that.
    About 6 months later she put on an apron. It had a pocket.

I lost my wallet. Really frustrating. 6 months later I went back up onto the roof of my house I was building at the time and found it jammed in the guttering.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

My youthful idealism, I'm still looking.

Pocket knife

Just when I'm about to go and buy a new one I find it either between the couch cushions, or buried between the car seats etc.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Pocket knife

Just when I'm about to go and buy a new one I find it either between the couch cushions, or buried between the car seats etc.
    That wee hole is for a lanyard Joe. Just sayin'

About 2 years ago I was messing around in my late dads workshop, he's been gone for 25 years or so now but the shops still there and has most of the tools in it. I was looking on a high up shelf for a box of bits I thought I'd remembered, and found a brand new Mills 1.3 model airplane engine, still in its box, never been opened. Mum said that Dad had bought it for my birthday when I was 12 and seriously into model aircraft, and had forgotten where he'd put it so had bought me another one.
    Now I've got two.
    Thanks dad.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

When I was working in PNG We flew back and forth to Adelaide quite a bit. Until the time when we were due to return to PNG and I could find my passport. No way to get back there without it. Took about 10 weeks to get a new passport and to get my PNG work permit into it. The job was pretty hands on, but we managed to keep things ticking over. About a year later we decided to repaint our living room. Moved the couch away from the wall and there it was.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

I can't remember seriously losing anything and then finding it again.

Oh, wait . . . .
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Lost my wedding ring within the first year (age 61, second marriage) that we had bought as a set of 3 rings in St Thomas, BVI. We had been on a cruise with three other couples. One couple returned to St Thomas a year later with a family cruise, so we gave them the name of the shop and a sketch of the ring's details. They brought back a duplicate ring a size smaller. Another year later I found the first ring under a berth cushion in our boat. Now I've got a spare ring.

Anne lost her wedding ring at a bush house my parents owned. There were insects, she waved her hands, it was gone. A couple of years later we were walking down the path and….wallah… there it was glinting in the sun just above her head hanging on a small twig.

Lost the garage door opener remote after setting it atop the car before leaving home. Searched the roadside at the first corner I would have turned and found someone elses garage remote! Walked the neighborhood and tried it at every house and it worked on a house about 2 blocks away. Returned it to its rightful owner but never found mine so I guess that doesn't quite qualify. I did lose my wedding ring after slipping it into my t shirt pocket before changing into my team jersey in the field before a soccer match. Went back to the field that evening after mine and 2 other games had been played in the rain and found it after about 10 minutes searching. That was in 1978 when I I had only been married one year, homing in on year number 43 now.

Bruce

Late one night, back when I was working as a manager in a petrol station, a customer came in with a small digital camera. "I found this on the forecourt!" It had been driven over multiple times, and was totally broken.

The memory card in it, however, was not. I shoved it into the PC in the back office and saw a young couple's photographs of a holiday (north Italy), some shots of their house and garden, and - finally - a christening they'd gone to. There was a photo of them, all dressed up, standing under a lychgate outside the church in question. He was wearing a kilt. The church must be in Scotland, right?

No. A sign on the lychgate, almost unreadable, placed the church in Cheshire. I rang up the vicar the following day and asked about any recent christenings. Long story short? The card and camera was returned to the owners. They have no idea how they got it back!

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

My glasses, I need them to find them.

It's easy to find things you misplaced. They show up just as you get back from the hardware store with a replacement. Just found some electrical components that apparently had been sitting on the shelf for 15 years, waiting for the replacement run.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    My wife lost her keys, very unusual for her. Car key with the electronics ie expensive. School key, they changed the locks, stuff like that.
    About 6 months later she put on an apron. It had a pocket.
    Similar situation. Lost an expensive-to-replace car key. Found it a year later in a pocket of a suit jacket that I rarely wore.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Best way to find something is to look for something else.

2nd best (& the one I seem to use often) is Dan's method in #21.

Probably the most lost thing I found was a white Toyota Tercel rental in a supermarket lot in Sint Maarten. 99% of the rental cars when I was there were white Toyota Tercels. Lot must have had 100 of 'em. Pre-remote door lock days too...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Taylor View Post
    I found a species of ciliate that's been missing since 1833.

Was it under something?

Late 80s I received an "expedition" watch for Christmas from my mother. She thought it was pretty funny, because she ordered it for $19.95 from the back of a magazine.
    The next fall I was helping to string a kayak slalom course for a race on the N.F. of the Snoqualmie, east of Seattle, right below the 'Twin Peaks' (Mount Si) featured in the television show. At the end of the day I realized that the watch had fallen off my wrist, some time during the day.
    The next spring we were stringing the slalom course again, and I noticed my watch broached on the upstream side of a loaf-of-bread-size rock in the sand on the river bank. During the winter the river had flooded, and the watch was likely under several feet of water.

That river section is a strange place, I could go on and on with stories. Upstream of the slalom course is a Class V-VI section, called Ernie's canyon.
    In this link the opening shot shows Mount Si, and the river runs along the base of the mountain face:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVjbDP8tprI

Oblig. ref.:

fav_strip9_full.jpg

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Was it under something?
    It was under a long strand of carnivorous bladderwort.

The weird thing is, it was lost in Berlin, but refound in a suburb of Ottawa.

Not my story, but close...

When I was a kid my Mom, sister, brother and I went by train to Montreal to go to Expo 67. Dad had to stay home and work. Dad saw us off at the train station in Halifax, giving hugs to all of us. On the train, Mom discovered that the solitaire diamond in her engagement ring was missing. The train staff were wonderful in their sympathy and thorough searches of all the places Mom had been on the train, but to no avail. She was mightily upset, and I am sure that it ruined her vacation. About two months after our return home, Mom was getting clothes together to go to the dry cleaners and took out Dad's suit that he had worn the day we boarded the train. He wore the suit at least once or twice since seeing us off, so it had not been hanging idly in the closet. As Mom took the suit pants off the hanger to be laid out on the bed, she heard a little 'plink' on the floor and a flash of reflected sunlight caught her eye. Getting down on hands and knees, she spied a little piece of glass under the bed. Yup, it was her diamond. The best explanation was that the diamond was dislodged from her ring while she was giving Dad a goodbye hug at the train station and somehow the stone fell into the cuff of Dad's pants. Miraculously, it had stayed lodged inside that pant cuff for almost three months and at least one or two wearings, only to come back into the world when Mom laid the pants out on the bed.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Taylor View Post
    The weird thing is, it was lost in Berlin, but refound in a suburb of Ottawa.
    Sounds like a Disney movie, a cat, a dog, and a ciliate make an incredible journey.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Sounds like a Disney movie, a cat, a dog, and a ciliate make an incredible journey.
    The heartwarming tale of a poisonous elephant-trunked mixotroph that simply would not give up.

It was a tearful reunion, after 180 years.

Back in 1975 I was attending the University of Manitoba and my good wife was working in the library there. I had just sat down in an English class in St John's College when I saw an earring on the floor. I picked it up and showed to to several young ladies who were seated close by but none of them claimed it. After the class I took it up to the office in that building and left it with the ladies there to put in their lost and found box. A day or two later my wife showed me one of her earrings and told me she had lost the mate. It looked familiar and went back to the office in St John's College and sure enough, the one that I had turned in matched the one my wife had lost. My best guess is that it had been caught on my sweater and had fallen off when I took my coat off and sat down in the classroom.

A second story with another sort of happy ending. I have a nice Seiko watch that my wife gave me as a gift when I graduated from law school in 1980. It is a nice thin watch that fits under my shirt sleeve. Many watches are too thick for my taste. A month or more back it needed a new battery. I dropped in to a local jewelry store and had them put in a new battery. A few days later I attended an evening meeting with my son. We sat next to each other and he reached down and picked a small battery off of the floor. He showed it to me and I assumed it was a hearing aid battery that someone had dropped. I put it in my pocket. I looked at my watch a bit later and noted that it had stopped. My immediate thought was that the new battery was no good. We left the meeting and I went home. When I took my watch off, I discovered that the back of the watch was gone as well as the battery. I called my son and asked him to look on the floor in his truck to see if it might be there as we had made one stop on the way from the meeting to his house and while he ran in to get something from a store, I pulled my sleeve back and reset my watch to see if it would keep time if I reset it so I wondered if it had fallen out then. I was on my way back to the meeting which I hoped was still ongoing to look on the floor where he had picked up the battery. While I was driving over there he called to say he had found the back to the watch under the passenger seat in his truck. I thought it was my lucky day. We took the watch into a different jeweler as I had lost my confidence in the first fellow who had failed to properly set the back on the watch. The new fellow (horologist) put it back together but it did not work. He had a closer look and discovered that there were more pieces missing. He agreed to try to find parts and fortunately he was able to do so and I got the watch back a week or two later (just before this virus lock down started). Altogether, that new battery cost me $185 but I am happy to have my watch back.

Was cutting a drainage way for a plot of blue berries last year during a particularly wet spring. Some how set my brush ax down in the brush at days end and forgot it. 3 Months later looking for my pet tool I was lucky enough to reconstruct where I had laid it last and there it was just as I had left her, with just a bit of surface rust. Was a happy camper as I made the handle myself from left over white oak.

Over the years have found 5 axes , 4 in the bush and this one on beach embedded in a round of cedar , no handle , just a rusty looking hatchet head . It looked pretty rough after spending some months or so in the saltchuck . A few minutes of scraping the scale off and then on the wire wheel showed it was still usable and holding up fine . Made in Sweden probably H&B rusty h.jpg
    We need to protect wild places , they aren't making any more