Thread: Man delights me not

Default Man delights me not

Our Secretary of Culture, a "controversial" minion of a populist government, just posted a video speech that looked a bit like a trial balloon. In his speech he declared that Brazilian art would henceforth be "heroic" and "national", and he quoted Goebbels extensively. The video emulated Nazi aesthetics, and in case someone didn't get it, the background music was Wagner's Lohengrin.

The flood of outrage goaded even the the Trump brown-noser Bolsonaro to fire the fellow, who is but one of a stable of incompetent fanatics that make up his government. It is said that what tipped the scales - Bozo never fires underlings for being too outrageous - were the demands for his head from both the Israelite Confederation of Brazil and the president of the Senate, who is jewish.

However...

When Bolsonaro was a candidate, he made an infamous speech for the "Israelite" elite at their club. He compared rural blacks to cattle, and said they were no good even for breeding. He got a standing ovation, and their support for his campaign.

What is most dismaying to me is reading commentary on news sites and Facebook. Brazil is an interesting experiment, because it has a connected and politicized population that is the product of a failed education system. Most have no more notion of what Naziism was and what it did than they do of the Paris Commune or the Roman Republic. They are blank slates, and as such do not automatically reject, or even recognize, Nazi allusions and methods. And a good bit of the people eat it up... Everything I find pathetic and repulsive about it is a huge success with 20-30% of the populace. Naziism, it turns out, works.

My parents' generation had direct experience with Naziism, and therefore had no patience for it. My generation had direct contact with them - access to primary sources. But the new generations seem quite capable of losing its outlines in the mists of history, and even some modern Jews seem capable of relativizing it if it suits them. Bolsonaro has already said that the Holocaust was forgivable without losing their support.

Denazification, it turns out, was a failure. Perhaps it is not even possible.

I am really starting to think that in the long run, if humanity is to survive, we will have to find a way to identify certain personality types and exclude them from politics for the safety of the rest. This is hard for someone as libertarian as me to entertain, but you can't have a planet with dozens of governments brandishing nuclear weapons and surveillance-state technology, and the occasional one going Nazi on us.

Default Re: Man delights me not

jesus
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

It is an pandemic! From one end of the globe to the other. Freedom loving people be strong.

The "information age" is a misnomer, misinformation is more accurate.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

I am really starting to think that in the long run, if humanity is to survive, we will have to find a way to identify certain personality types and exclude them from politics for the safety of the rest.
    A fellow libertarian type, I came to this conclusion years ago. We need to add business & religion too. Also, while speech should be (essentially) unrestricted for individuals.. it should _not_ be so for groups (parties, business, media etc). If Joe Idiot wants to proclaim males are better than females - this color better than that, we can laugh at him. If a group of gawd fanciers says it - they must be Stopped. Unfortunately, it's all those types 'in power' - and the human animal, for all its claims of wisdom, is no smarter than any of the other animals. Meaning, in the long run.. likely short, we are goners.

The "information age" is a misnomer, misinformation is more accurate.
    It has been point out to me that our problem is Dis-information, not simply mis-information - meaning, intentional lies carefully crafted to trick people thru mostly fear - aided by ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    I am really starting to think that in the long run, if humanity is to survive, we will have to find a way to identify certain personality types and exclude them from politics for the safety of the rest. This is hard for someone as libertarian as me to entertain, but you can't have a planet with dozens of governments brandishing nuclear weapons and surveillance-state technology, and the occasional one going Nazi on us.
    The exclusion idea won't work, apart from the moral objections.

All we have is law to restrain such types. Law, including the resolve to enforce it, of course. Force.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    A fellow libertarian type, I came to this conclusion years ago. We need to add business & religion too. Also, while speech should be (essentially) unrestricted for individuals.. it should _not_ be so for groups (parties, business, media etc). If Joe Idiot wants to proclaim males are better than females - this color better than that, we can laugh at him. If a group of gawd fanciers says it - they must be Stopped. Unfortunately, it's all those types 'in power' - and the human animal, for all its claims of wisdom, is no smarter than any of the other animals. Meaning, in the long run.. likely short, we are goners.

It has been point out to me that our problem is Dis-information, not simply mis-information - meaning, intentional lies carefully crafted to trick people thru mostly fear - aided by ignorance.
    The experiment continues…………...

I am really starting to think that in the long run, if humanity is to survive, we will have to find a way to identify certain personality types and exclude them from politics for the safety of the rest.
    Seriously? Then you want to turn around and decry an internet forum that doesn't want to allow politically motived vitriol to overwhelm what is otherwise a place dedicated to science and discovery? Remarkable.

This will be my only post to this thread. Enjoy.
    Nosce te ipsum

I am philosophizing, grumpy Dryfoot. And not all that far out. You can't run for office on a Nazi platform in Germany, and the world is better for it. You Americans can't have a Communist party, and criminals are not allowed to vote.

Read the OP and get some context. About one third of Brazilians on the internet are supporting a fellow who dresses up as a Nazi and defends Nazi ideals. In Germany, he would be imprisoned for what he did.