Thread: ISO of a small used sprit sail - Great South Bay Ice Scooter

Default ISO of a small used sprit sail - Great South Bay Ice Scooter

I have a 20s or 30s Dodge and Krowl Great South Bay Ice Scooter. She is in very good condition, but is missing the sail rig. I will do a minor clean, paint and polish on the hull before the duck season, but would like to build a sail rig to get her back on the ice some. The style of hull I have it typical for a hunting rig, not a go fast racing scooter like you might still see. This hull will not point well, and likely was only sailed downwind or on a broad reach. I am looking for a small sprit sail, with about a 5ft foot. I will rig on an unstayed mast which will be no more than 8ft, likely less.

I can easily make a new sail, but would really like an older cotton canvas sail for authenticity. Anyone have a blown out sail for cheap?

Any leads appreciated,

Dave

Default Re: ISO of a small used sprit sail - Great South Bay Ice Scooter

You'll probably need to clarify your sailing purpose a bit to give us a better idea of what you're after. I assume it is not the most common type of scooter ice sailing - a round-topped Bermuda main (or gaff-headed on the older ones) paired with a big club-footed jib on a bow horn that actually functions as the boat's rudder by balancing the sailplan's CE against the lateral resistance of the runners. A spritsail alone is not going to do that without mounting a steering runner on the boat somehow, and the first thing that usually happens when you turn any iceboat downwind is that is cruises to a dead stop and just sits there.

Some of the old sneakboxes and similar hunting boats did have single spritsail downwind rigs for liquid water sailing, but they wouldn't work on ice. They often have an interesting short head and a long, drawn-out clew corner. You see old photos of them running downwind with the sheet eased and the sail's foot making a big U-shape. The sails look like this and were usually spritsails, though a few show gaffs supporting a similar profile. It would be pretty rare to find an old one, and even rarer to find one that isn't rotten and trashed, but they can still be built from cotton, or from cotton-look Dacron which is a lot more practical.

Try the South Bay Scooter Club for leads. Some dedicated folks, I had a brief connection with at one time.

https://www.facebook.com/South-Bay-S...6445184778382/

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

So it turns out my Dodge and Krowl Ice Scooter was built in 1905 according to the registration records on file in New York State. I ended up making a simple sail rig strictly for an attention getter when I showed the boat at the Tuckerton Decoy and Gunning Show. I built the mast so that I can use it for a proper sprit sail in the future.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6&l=fe0b983bee

Dave, that's a well documented restoration on Facebook! I hope you dont mind me posting your pic here.
    Where I live is a long way from frozen lakes, even in winter, so it is all new and interesting to me. Thanks!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.