Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 78

Thread: An Ilur in PA

Default Re: An Ilur in PA

Thanks!
    This Ilur sail plan has a total of 151 sqft (14 m2) of canvas.
    So, even in a small puff she latches on and gets into a groove.
    I am still learning her ways... and enjoying it greatly.
    C.

So there she is:

Yes, with ample sail area and firm bilges, the Ilur stiffens up and accelerates in a puff very pleasingly. Looking forward to seeing you in Brooklin, Chris! Safe journey, and with Clarisa, Cloud Atlas and Waxwing, we'll soon have a passel of Ilurs sailing in company! Whoot! Whoot!
    cheers,
    J

I know I can't stop grinning when I think of it. I was fussing with Cloud Atlas all the long weekend.

All along I had 100' of rode for my anchors... but in the final instructions which I had not received until just a few days ago, SRR requires 150' of rode. So I immediately ordered and just received my new 150' rode. This is also when I learned that we would keep the boats at anchor. Still have to figure out how to best secure the sail while at anchor.

I decided to make the trip in three days. Two 7 hour rides and the final leg just a shortish hop from Augusta so that I can arrive early enough and am not all bushed from a long trip at put in and setup.

Super excited to meet and share company with Waxwing and Cloud Atlas and my fellow sailors!
    Wishing everyone a safe trip.
    C.

I upgraded my ground tackle. Fortunately I had a 16lb Claw anchor, which I use for temporary moorings in Maine. But I didn't have a 10 foot long 1/4" chain, so I ordered that.

When I first read those specs I thought it was overkill. But, if a thunderstorm comes through at night, I know I'll sleep better with the boat on that big chunk of metal.

It will be very interesting to see how the three rigs compare. I hope you post a full report guys! It will be especially useful as the hulls are all essentially identical(kits) and new.

Have fun! And take lots of photos/videos.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

planning to do just that!

the Small Reach Regatta is an unforgettable event.
    Well organized, superb camp ground (Oceanfront Camping at Reach Knolls) near Brooklin ME, great sailing, wonderful weather and many new friends. It was more than worth the 17 hour drive to get there, though I will plan my time differently so that I'll spend more time there as a ratio to travel days.

We had three Ilurs there:
    John Hartmann's (by now famous) Waxwing in the Lug Yawl configuration
    Peter Mumford's Cloud Atlas in the original Misainer sail plan
    and my Clarisa with the Lug Sloop sail plan

Here, Peter and his delightful mate Adriana set anchor next to Waxwing

On the second day, the afternoon presented a wonderful breeze as we broad-reached back to our mooring. Would probably have had to put in a reef if I had needed to go upwind. After the first couple of puffs, winds kicked up a significant notch so that I could not hold camera and sail at the same time...

...and here a bit earlier getting a better view of the scene with the Blue Hill Bay Lighthouse to starboard

John and Peter discussing the finer points of Ilur sailing

the morning sail starts out with light air whereas the sea breeze in the afternoon gets more exciting.
    Either way, the sailing was superb.

Two islands and one of many lobster boats ahead with the Blue Hill Bay Lighthouse in the distance.

Peter's Cloud Atlas sneeking up on a Caledonia Yawl

This wonderful picture of the Ilur Trio at anchor was taken by Clint Chase.

awesome! I want to go!
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Quote Originally Posted by cmosheh View Post
    ...the Small Reach Regatta is an unforgettable event. ... It was more than worth the 17 hour drive to get there, though I will plan my time differently so that I'll spend more time there as a ratio to travel days. ...
    Chris, it sure does look like a great time to be out on the Penobscot Bay. I just checked, and the one way time from Atlanta, where I live, to Brooklin is about twenty and a half hours. I have, though, dreamt of sailing in Maine for, now, what is half a lifetime, since I started reading WoodenBoat Magazine and the other literature of the wooden boat renaissance and small boat sailing back in the 1970s. Maybe next year.

In any case, I wanted to be sure to offer my thanks for your contribution to the aforementioned literature, these lovely words and pictures.

Here, Chris eases CLARISA through thin water at the bar at the inside end of Naskeag Harbor, while my crew Erika Bodin gives chase with the aid of an amazingly fast and terrifyingly red mizzen staysail. Harris Bucklin and crew in a a Caledonia yawl would have flown a staysail as well, but suffered a wardrobe malfunction which discounted that option (someone hauled the wrong end of the staysail halyard, lofting the bitter end out of reach at the mizzen masthead.....) Thinking quickly, they soon deployed a pair of very large sun parasols as SHAFT MOUNTED SPINNAKERS to great effect....this isn't a one design race, after all, and the committee boat was well into it's second round of lemonade and on the way to the lunch beach at Babson Island by this time*......

*there WAS no committee boat, actually. This isn't a race, after all....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John: what a wonderful shot!!!

Also: after so many communications and email consults over these past years, it was such a thrill to finally meet you and Gabrielle.

Thanks for posting the picture. I certainly remember ghosting through that narrow passage and you stepping onto that wonderful chase boat to capture this great perspective. BTW, that was an excellent article in the new Small Boat Monthly on your mizzen stay-sail. I guess, the equivalent on my rig would be a gennaker (asymmetrical chute) and FV offered to draw on. I am certainly well familiar with that type of a sail from my years on the MX-Ray and Johnson-18. For now though, I'll stick with learning to make best use of the two sails I have. I will most likely get rid of the jaw on the boom. Earlier versions of this rig did not have this feature and while I can see why it was added I think I'd prefer the simpler option. First I need some more leather

Chris Noto: while Google told me that my trip would be 14 hours, it took 18 driving hours to get home - with bad weather and bad traffic.
    My advice is that the time at the SRR is incredibly worth any small wooden sailboat sailors time. Next time around I will make sure that I will be there for more than just the SRR. 4 driving days and 3 sailing days simply is not the right ratio. I am already thinking of options for next time around.

The SRR is - justifiably - very gear-intensive. It's all about safety and being able to operate independently in potentially adverse and challenging conditions. I have a bare-boat certificate, so this was really very normal stuff. That said, the SRR provides superb support. The venue, the camp-ground, the organization and the food were all top notch. Of course, the Maine coastal region is simply awesome and the sailors, crew and support teams all make for a fabulous event.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Last edited by cmosheh; 08-03-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Here a picture taken by my friend Gardner Pickering (with Hewes & Co who had cut the Ilur kit) as we were ghosting side by side into the Eggemoggin Reach: