Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: An Ilur in PA

Default Re: An Ilur in PA

Three more pics...

and finally... the shape of things to come...

looks great!

I'm about to embark on the same trip.. my ply kit finally arrived today, so tomorrow is the official start.

looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by cmosheh View Post
    I glued them up in pairs to verify that each set had the matching curvature. So far each strake set has been spot on. The lower five strakes are being reinforced over the joint with a fiber glass patch which will face inboard.

I saw that john hartmann also only backed the lower 5 plank joints but i don't see that distinction from the plans - what determined that choice? (i'm pretty pro it for later clean up/fairing reasons!)

Jeff,

Delighted to hear that another Ilur will come into play in this hemisphere!!

So, for me it was primarily a matter for reinforcing the bottom planks that will support the weight of the boat while on the trailer where my boat will probably spend a fair bit of time. I am personally not convinced that this is essential... even so, a bit of insurance is added peace of mind

~~~_/)~~ Chris

Hey, thanks for the reply! I think i'll go with the consensus and glass the bottom 5 only too.

The Zen of SANDING!

...preparing for a coat of CPES before priming.
    I'll post a couple of pictures when I consider being done with sanding at this point and before and after applying CPES

back to sanding!

before CPES

and...

after CPES

Dat looks so purty

Despite many interruptions... I am making some progress toward completing the outside.
    Today I put on the final coat of paint. Once it has cured I'll install the brass keel bands and then we should be ready to lift this puppy off of its scaffold.

FIRST though, I've gotta figure out a place where I have enough height to do the job
    AND moreover what to put it on once it has been turned right side up.

After second coat:

after final coat... paint applied in part with brush and wherever possible rolled and tipped...

the color tone is very difficult to get in artificial light... especially with a subtle hue such as light very light "warmish" green.

The top of the transom is sapele and the gunwale will also be sapele. The transom already received stage one of the Deks Olje treatment as will the gunwale and the top strake.

Awesome! That first photo is very inspiring. You can really see the attention you paid to your gains up there at the bow. So important
    to the looks of this beautiful design!

Looking forward to photos of the turnover.

Mike

P.S. If you have time, could you tell me the dimension of your skeg? The "height" or "depth"from where it meets the transom to its bottom edge?

I'm going for 8 inches or so, but can't find anything specific in the plans. Thanks!
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Okay Mike, excuse the crude hand drawn info but it'll give you the dimensions I think you are looking for.

Note that the keel sits on top of and becomes part of the skeg. On one side you can still see the line where the skeg and keel lay together. The keel represents about 20 mm over the skeg on my boat. The instructions call for 18 mm I believe. I allowed for a bit extra but guess I did not shave off quite enough.
    So the aft length to the top of (or if you prefer "bottom") the skeg is 280mm. If you run a bisecting line to the aft corner you get 205 mm.

Overall, the keel appear to run "down" a bit from the height of the CB trunk area...
    So you've got a very gentle curvature (rocker) from the transom to the trunk.
    From the trunk forward it's pretty straight.

Hope that helps.
    Chris

Thinking about what'll happen once the Ilur is right side up...
    Something like that perhaps...

Looks awesome. I just am getting started with the box and girder of my ilur. Just took my kit out of storage after a year.

Mike, probably no surprise at all, since Chris and I both have kit boats, but I just measured Waxwing's skeg, and the measurements match Chris's exactly.....so there you have it...four eyes are better than two.

Chris, the paint looks lovely! The CPES really gave you a nice smooth surface to cover--I had the devil of a time catching epoxy runs and orange peel in the later coats of epoxy...I also think your sapele transom is going to glow once you get the D2 on. Nice work!

Thanks John!
    Yeah the CPES worked quite well. I did give it a light sanding before priming.

I'll have to review your comments about turning the boat over.
    Looks like you accomplished the job with five or six willing and able bodies?

I think that I'll have to roll my construction out into the open - my garage ceiling is probably not high enough to raise the hull above the forms ...and since my driveway has a fairly steep slope I might actually have to roll it into the street (not much traffic to worry about). I'll really have to think this thing through.

Any words of advice?

Quote Originally Posted by ilur View Post
    Looks awesome. I just am getting started with the box and girder of my ilur. Just took my kit out of storage after a year.
    Yet another Ilur? Cool. Where do you plan to be sailing, and how will you rig yours?

She looks great, fantastic job with the paint. Really nice.....
    D

After second coat:

Photocurio, I am planning to rig this Ilur in the lug/sloop sail plan. So, a jib will fly on a bow sprit and the main is a balanced lug sail. The mast is stepped a bit further after than the misainier (standing lug) sail plan. In fact, I installed both mast steps which will enable me to sail this Ilur either in the lug/sloop mode or - with mast stepped forward - with a single balanced lug sail. In the most recent iteration of Ilur, Vivier has changed the set-up of the sprit. In my mind it is an elegant improvement. The inboard part of the sprit attaches to the mast on a simple gudgeon and then runs through a "bow iron" (essentially a bronze ring) which is fixed on the bow. It will be very easy to unhook the sprit from the mast and remove it in tight quarters or when trailering. I might use a small furler for the jib.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Thanks Jason!

Photocurio, I am planning to rig this Ilur in the lug/sloop sail plan..
    Chris, I know yours will be a sloop (and I sure hope to see her one day!). But another forum member named "Ilur" posted that he (she?) is also starting a build from a kit. Have we heard about this one yet?

In other news, I've been getting good sailing time on Cloud Atlas the past two weekends. The wind was strong both times. Last Sunday I sailed across Boston from Winthrop to Quincy and back. On the return sail I was triple reefed and barreling along at hull speed—5.5kts. The amazing thing was how completely steady and solid she felt. I did have 100lbs of ballast in the bilge though, which makes a difference. And holding the tiller with "Huntingford's Helm Impeder" is another nice improvement. It makes steering less tiring.

Peter, I too have been impressed with the Ilur's good performance and docile behavior in boisterous conditions. The picture is last October, Northern Isles of Lake Champlain, and the fringes of the last hurricane of the season that hit Boston and Portland pretty hard....F5/6 winds, and I could sail single handed, with one hand free to take the picture:

had my usual 50# of ballast aboard, have since gotten an additional 50# for single handing in stronger winds with an unladen boat.....

The tack downhaul and mainsheet attachment at the clew let you keep a very nice shape as the sail is reefed.
    Glad to hear you like the Huntingford impeder set-up....I am strongly considering adding it as a replacement for my current set up.

Not heard of mine yet. I don't want to start a thread until I make some decent progress. I was going to have this kit built by someone else but have decided to try it myself.

I am right outside Pittsburgh. Prob name my thread "ilur in my basement " beings Chris took PA. I am actually not too far from you. If you need help turning her over myself and the guy from village boat shop would be interested in helping u.

I laughed when u described ur garage and driveway. I used to live on Salem drive in lebo and had the exact same setup.

Michael, you'll be more than welcome to help with the flip-flopping of the boat. (hopefully more flipping than flopping I am getting pretty close. Yesterday evening I installed the first brass strip section. Once that is competed, I'll have to make the contraption to hold the hull securely while I climb in and out. I'll communicate with you directly once I have a possible target date.

Peter's and John's descriptions of the boat makes me salivate with excitement!

I am curious as to how and where you secure the weights. Do either of you have a picture you could share?
    Are the weights secured sufficiently so that in the event of a capsize they would not drop out?

~~~_/)~~ Chris

I am curious as to how and where you secure the weights. Do either of you have a picture you could share?
    Are the weights secured sufficiently so that in the event of a capsize they would not drop out?

I second that! Pictures, please....

Quote Originally Posted by ilur View Post
    I am right outside Pittsburgh. Prob name my thread "ilur in my basement " beings Chris took PA.
    How about a thread "Ilur in the 'Burgh?" I will be following with interest.

Chris, thanks so much for the measurements. And John for the corroboration! I'll start laminating my skeg soon. I will probably deviate from the plans and assemble my external or "false" keel from a few parts, the way that the Oughtred boats use.

Don't want to hijack your thread, Chris, and I could start a new thread to discuss this, but...

After seeing Waxwing's fully battened main, I can't seem to think of a reason why all mainsails are not made this way. Seems like sail shape is fine if battens are flexible enough, and reefing and dousing are easier. Any thoughts? I'm certainly leaning in this direction.
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

No worries Falcon1... the sail plan and sail design is totally part of the overall Ilur discussion.

I very much like the full batten design on Waxwing and obviously they make reefing a much cleaner affair.
    On the balanced lug main I am thinking that the advantage of full length battens may be less noticeable.

I have to think about it and also discuss with the sail maker.

Given that smooth, clean and quick reefing is an important function on Ilur I am going to think about this a lot more.
    On previous boats I had a jiffy reefing system that essentially allowed me to reduce sail with a single line.

I welcome any input but expert balanced lug main reefers.

~~~_/)~~ Chris

~~~_/)~~ Chris
    I use John Hartmann's method: 25lb bags of lead shot, put into sturdy Lead Sled bags. You can get this stuff on Amazon.

The bags are stowed under the lifting floorboards, alongside the centerboard, and under the oars and other gear. And yes it could drop out if the boat happened to turtle. I might think of a method to secure it better. So far the ballast has never shifted, since it is between the ply frames, and the hull has nice deadrise.

At first I was doubtful that these little bags could make much difference to boat handling, considering that a Herreshoff 12 1/2 has over 700lbs on her keel. But actually they do make a big difference in sailing ability in a reefing breeze. My current thinking is to always have 100lbs in the bilge for single handing, 50lbs when sailing with crew. I'll post a photo when I get a chance to take one.. unless John beats me to it!

Here we are in Boston's outer harbor, triple reefed. I had her double reefed, but she started yawing a lot in the rising breeze, so I just put her to the wind, dropped sail, reefed, raised sail, and carried on. I've been doing a lot of that drill lately and its now easy enough. It helps that she makes very little leeway while lying to.

Here's a pic of the Helm Impeder. It works so very nicely. But you do have to attach a lot of hardware to you tiller, and it was very hard to drill into that lovely tiller that Geoff Kerr made me. There is a clam cleat on the far side of the tiller that holds the tensioner line. It sets up with brass clips, so its easy to remove it

Last edited by photocurio; 01-28-2017 at 11:11 AM. Reason: clarity

Thanks for these details, Peter.
    Love those pictures!
    BTW, what wood did Geoff use for the seats and thwarts?

Meanwhile... making progress on the brass bands - no tubas took harm

~~C

Some detail work on paint lines still needed but you'll get the general idea - (with Geoff Kerr's brass flourish - as he explained in his excellent glued lapstrake build series on the Off Center Harbor video series).

Last edited by cmosheh; 09-02-2016 at 09:15 AM. Reason: add text

That is absolutely gorgeous.

Uh-oh, better not let Jim see those unclocked screws.

Thanks for these details, Peter.
    Love those pictures!
    BTW, what wood did Geoff use for the seats and thwarts?

Meanwhile... making progress on the brass bands - no tubas took harm

~~C
    He used some sort of cedar. Its very nice wood. I should probably be oiling it soon..

WoodyHuscarl: What do you mean by unclocked screws? Not familiar with that term.

WoodyHuscarl: What do you mean by unclocked screws? Not familiar with that term.
    There are those who align all their screwheads in the same direction, usually fore-and-aft (12-6), sometimes perpendicular (3-9) to that.

Some insist that even the screws covered by bungs and plugs must be clocked.

I am not that picky, but my wife sure can be.