Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An Ilur in PA

Default Re: An Ilur in PA

Quote Originally Posted by cmosheh View Post
    I made sure of that before gluing up the two sides of the CB trunk. I also followed John Hartmann's example and epoxy filled the inside of the truck with graphite for additional abrasion insurance.
    Hi C,

I decided to follow the group and ordered some graphite powder from Jamestown Distributors. Did you put the graphite into the resin at the first application (fabric wet-out) or just the fill coats? Now many coats have graphite? This morning, I put a layer of Zynole (polyester fabric) on the inside surface of one half of the case. So far, I have used only neat resin. As soon as the graphite arrives, I will post some pics. Your pictures are a huge help. Keep posting!

Graphite was added with fill coats, two or three, I don't recall. After the coats had cured I sanded and then wet sanded to get a super smooth and slippery inner wall. I've used epoxy and graphite on the bottom of one of my wooden kayaks and this combination really works in terms of greatly resisting abrasion and scuffing.
    Last edited by cmosheh; 04-11-2016 at 11:13 AM.

Time for an Ilur update from Driftwood Boatworks
    I've tried to do a bit every day without getting too obsessive (as some members of my family would say) I just call it passionate
    Anyway - I have made progress...
    All of the strakes have been glued, edges sanded - one pair at a time to ensure I had totally matching pairs. The new puzzle joint seems close to perfect.

I also completed the "manufacture" of the transom.
    Sapele is on top.
    I opted for the sculling notch to be on the starboard side of the transom... most Ilur builds seem to have theirs on the port side but as I envisioned myself standing to scull, I mentally tried either side and definitely opted for this side as being my preference.

When all the preliminary steps were completed, I began to assemble the station molds:

Once that was completed it was time to install the bulk heads and the center board trunk.
    Here everything was dry-fitted except for the CB trunk which was already glued into place.

I had been very frustrated to source timber for the keelson. Finally our local lumber store received a shipment of Cypress. I was hoping for some good 4/4 and 5/4 stock in sufficient length (14') to make a keelson and false keel. They did not have that but instead had quite a nice Cypress piece of 8/4 x 8" x 16'

My dear friend and wood work and boat building guru made himself available just as I picked up the piece and he helped to re-saw this piece on his 19" band saw into pretty much exactly what I need. I'll have plenty left over for oodles of battens which will be needed once the hull is completed and ready to turn around.

I had unloaded all of my wooden kayaks from my kayak trailer so that I could safely transport some pretty long boards. Happy to say that it worked like a charm.

Last edited by cmosheh; 04-26-2016 at 07:14 AM.

Before I am gluing everything in place - and prior to installing the keelson - I am installing an inspection port underneath the future side benches. The design does not call for inspection ports but it just seemed to me common sense to better air out the flotation foam which will be there.

Obviously it was going to be a heck of a lot easier to cut these round ports prior to installation. So I ordered two ports and then cut holes to fit the ports which will be installed much later.

So now I have to do a bit more gluing and a final fitting of the stem before it too gets permanently attached.
    Then it'll be on to the keelson.
    So far so good.
    I can only echo what John Hartmann already said on more than one occasion: the tolerances of the kit pieces are AMAZING!
    As snug a fit as Lego pieces

Before gluing in the keelson, I decided to drill in limber holes in both mast steps. I figured that it would be a whole lot easier to do on the bench than after the fact.

Then on to the keelson... prior to gluing it got trimmed to the proper dimensions based on the widths allowed for by the station molds. The center line greatly facilitated the process. Then I measured for the three large mortises

which eventually become the home for three 36mm wide tenons by which the sizeable skeg is firmly secured.

a trial fitting:

A clothes steamer did a great job in helping to bend the will of the garboard into submission and hug the stem.
    I actually dry fitted (with the steamer) the garboard for 24 hours so that the actually installation would not be a surprise for the board.

After looking at various color charts on-line, and ordering several for an actual printed copy and looking at color charts in local paint stores. I started to narrow it down to a shade of light green. A conversation with George Kirby confirmed that they do custom colors all the time and are able to match anything you send them.
    Once I had settled on a particular shade, I looked at it for several days in various day light conditions before I felt completely decided.It seems that lighter colors tend to vary quite a bit in appearance as they reflect their surroundings and various light conditions.

To make a long story short, I decided on a semi-gloss light olive-like green hue for the outside of the hull and another rather lighter cream tone for the interior. I sent to color samples to Kirby and they were able to make a perfect match.

I have not yet decided on the top strake other than that it will be contrasting and quite possibly bright... perhaps some stain if for no other reason than to neutralize the appearance of the puzzle joint.

Here are the two main colors:

Just a brief update... I won't be posting pictures that more or less illustrate the same process John Hartmann already showed so beautiful in his build of Waxwing on his thread. I am currently installing strakes #6. Port side is installed.

Wow, she's looking like a boat! Very nice......

Just a brief update... I won't be posting pictures that more or less illustrate the same process John Hartmann already showed so beautiful in his build of Waxwing on his thread. I am currently installing strakes #6. Port side is installed.

Plank #7 port side is on!

Cutting gains on the bow is getting a bit harder as I have to crouch down.
    Cutting gains on the transom is no longer necessary.
    You win some you loose some
    Overall, the planking is getting easier in as much as I no longer need to invoke the services of my steamer.

GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE ---

The Ilur is such an awesome design!!! Thank you, Francois Vivier!

Has anyone seen Goeff Kerr's very recent build of an Ilur!

He is a master craftsman and I owe much to him and John Hartmann in giving me the courage to commence with a glued lapstrake!
    It all started with Geoff Kerr's review (in Wooden Boat Magazine) of Francois Vivier's amazing design and John Hartmann's build of his fabulous Waxwing Ilur and his most informative thread on this forum.

And then there is this amazing series of videos on the OffCenterHarbor web site in which Geoff takes you step-by-step through the process of lapstrake boat building... in this case a Caledonia Yawl. Right there you've got your money's worth... and there is so much more.

For this novice lap-strake builder, sufficient courage and enthusiasm was mounted to order the Ilur... and the kit I received from Hewes & Co. was worth every penny! For sure!

Chris
    Last edited by cmosheh; 06-14-2016 at 06:37 PM.

Last weekend we went sailing in the new Ilur Cloud Atlas in Salem harbor. It was blowing a steady 25mph, gusting 35+, according to the Salem harbormaster. So we put in a triple reef. The wind was blowing from the shore, so there was no chop, or none of this would have been possible. And, maybe this was not exactly prudent, but we had four aboard: myself, my wife, my wife's cousin, and his 12 year old son. And sail we did, wearing our buoyancy aids, across the harbor and back, twice. When under way, every time I noticed a crease spreading up the sail from the clew, I hauled back on that three part downhaul, and flattened the sail right out. My wife, who was in front, got completely soaked, but the rest of is stayed reasonably dry. I can confirm that the Ilur is a weatherly little boat.

And guys, about that loose thwart: it happens that Geoff Kerr built my Ilur with both thwarts loose. You can lift them right out of the boat. I've been wondering if this is a good thing. And we've been sailing her with the aft thwart left behind in my basement, and the forward thwart just sitting on the riser (you need at least one thwart, in case someone has to do a little rowing). On Sunday she had a pretty good test, blasting along at hull speed with a full load. I didn't notice any working of the boat at all. I think she is just very stiff with the glued plywood frames.

Some lessons learned:
    1. a little ballast would be a good thing. I ordered 50lbs of lead shot. I'll start with that much.
    2. the sheet on the misainer rig is not attached to the boat anywhere. if you neglect to tie a stopper knot the sheet might get loose and drop into the water and sink.
    3. its possible to row an Ilur in a near gale with four aboard, and the mast up. that might come in handy.
    Last edited by photocurio; 06-14-2016 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks for that report, Photocurio!

I had noticed the beefy keel bands on your boat. Geoff took some superb pictures and shared on FB.
    I guess you've got a pretty good weight right there at the very bottom of the hull. I liked the arrangement for excellent protection of the bottom of the hull. So I ordered the same keel bands and will follow pretty much the example on your boat.

I like sailing when it gets wet and woolly... and I am glad to hear that Ilur is more than up to it.

When it is forecast to blow 30+ knots, I leave my current sailing chariot - a Johnson18 - on the trailer... there is no reefing on this boat and I don't want to break a mast. I'll expect more of the Ilur - once reefed

C.

Photocurio, I've been out a couple of times in conditions like you described--once with three up, once with an empty boat, sailing solo. Here is a picture of the solo session:

Main is fully reefed, and the mizzen is also reefed. What is noteworthy about that image is that the boat was docile enough for me to manage the sheet and tiller with one hand while using the other for juggling the camera in F5-6 winds.

here is a picture of the boat loaded with a week's worth of gear, in busy but not boisterous conditions:

photo by Christophe Matson. Winds 15-20, gusts 25. First reef in the main, full mizzen.

And a brief video clip of the boat in 15-20, with the steep waves of wind vs current on the St. Lawrence River last year, Gabrielle at the helm, and me blethering from a comfy ( and dry) seat on the floorboards:

she is a rugged little boat, for sure.

cmosheh, how do you plan to rig yours?

It'll be a lug-sloop rig.
    In the newest iteration of this rig, Vivier makes the bow-sprit to be easily retractable... something I consider a big advantage at certain types of dock.
    The boat already has two mast steps in the keelson and I am planning to have two mast partners. One for the sloop rig and the other for the optional balanced lug. In that case, the re-stepping of the mast would involve having to lift and drop it through the mast partner - not to be done whilst at sea!

For the sloop rig, the mast will partner up with the deck as with the other designs... the only difference being that the deck goes a bit further back.
    C.
    Last edited by cmosheh; 06-15-2016 at 06:47 AM.

Thank you, John, for posting those wonderful pictures of Waxwing in action!

Yes, I had already suspected from Geoff's pictures, that Cloud Atlas actually has two removable thwarts.
    I also saw that the thwarts are not connected to the centerboard trunk. I suspect that instead there might be a small stringer running underneath the middle of the thwart plank for stiffness. I gather that the thwarts are not an integral part of the form stability and structure of the hull.
    Any thoughts on that?

/C

I suspect that instead there might be a small stringer running underneath the middle of the thwart plank for stiffness. [Yes] I gather that the thwarts are not an integral part of the form stability and structure of the hull..
    That does seem to be correct. I was skeptical, btw. But John demonstrated that the aft thwart is not necessary, and after sailing Cloud Atlas in a big breeze, I'm pretty sure the forward thwart isn't either. But I might screw it down to the risers anyway because I don't like it bumping around.

I'm excited to see your sloop rig. That should be the fastest Ilur. And maybe a real handful at times.

I got a comment on my facebook page that there is a sloop rigged Ilur that sits on a mooring in Rockport, MA. This was not from the owner of said boat, so its purely a rumor. The guy said he didn't know the owner, but has seen the boat.

Photocurio, check out John Hartmann's solution to keeping his removable thwart in place. Very nice and neet!
    I suspect you'd be able to do the same - instead of screwing it down into the riser.
    I have actually been thinking of a simply bungee solution... similar concept to how I keep my hatches snug and in place on my wooden kayaks.

So, I just completed strake # 7 - port as well as starboard

Looks great!

I must admit that it is getting a bit harder (at my age) to climb underneath the structure to clean up epoxy squeeze out from inside of the hull... albeit probably not nearly as hard as it would be if I did not do it.

Thank you, Garth!!

Pretty soon you and I have to get together on what wood options might work best for the rail... (for the uninitiated: Garth is my Pittsburgh wood-working and boat building guru and "support system" - check out his web site and you'll understand)

I hope I'll be able to source enough cypress for floor boards. But then there is the deck, thwarts etc. I guess it'll depend a lot on what overall color scheme I aim for.

On that count, I still have not decided on the sheer strake: paint, stain, deks olje...
    If paint, I have a pretty good idea of what it would have to be.

I will definitely abstain from varnish on this boat.
    In that regard John Hartmann led the way - and - having varnished three kayaks plut one 12' pram to the finest sheen
    ...Ilur is requesting for an "au natural" treatment, s'il vous plaît. - How can I say no to that?

Isn't it fun to have options to day-dream about?!

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Jones View Post
    Looks great!
    I 2nd that, looks great!

So, port side #10 strake is installed.
    Thanks to John Hartmann's description of how he solved the matter of setting up the final strake, I did not have to agonize over a solution and simply used his method. It worked like a charm.
    Tomorrow I'll be cutting the last gains for Ilur on starboard strake #10.
    Pics to follow!

Tadaa - #10 starboard strake installed last night.

Well done!

Wow! Looking very fine. I met up with Dean P. (Beg Meil in Boston) today at the boat show. Also spoke to Geoff Kerr for a second.
    He seemed very enthusiastic about the Ilur he had built. He may have another commissioned for the winter.

This is getting to be a popular design. I blame you, John!

Here's hoping we all have fun and successful builds. Great work Chris!

Mike O
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Apologies for my delayed update!
    July is going to be a very slow Ilur month... on account of various family festivities and related preparations plus a paddling/camping trip with the Outcast Paddlers to the 1000 Island region... leaving tomorrow morning.

In the meantime I did in fact make a little progress.
    In so many words the false stem and the false keel are now installed.

Obviously there is still a ton of stuff to be done before planning the turning-over party.
    I do hope that by the end of August I am getting close to that point though.

So here are some update pics:

Laminated false stem detail...

Dry fitting false stem and false keel...

planning the false stem detail... This shape will probably be more suitable to the bow sprit stem fitting for the lug/sloop rig...

I gotta say: I LOVE my Lie-Nielsen spoke-shave! What a tool!