Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89

Thread: An Ilur in PA

Default Re: An Ilur in PA

John,
    I wouldn't be worried about handling an asymmetrical chute single-handed. It really works more like a genoa... therefore sometimes referred to as gennaker. I'd just do as was done on my Johnson18, furl (roll up) the jib and have fun. Mr. Vivier said that it would not make all that much of a difference on Ilur and I suspect that he is right since we would not expect Ilur to start planing. Regardless, at some point I suspect I won't be able to resist the temptation

http://www.ruach.net/Sailing%20JN-18%20Oct07.AVI

I'd been thinking about how to best store my Rocna anchor. I wanted it to be readily accessible without flopping around and becoming a potential cause of interference with any lines or feet. Eventually I decided to build a little chock into which the fluke fits snugly when bungeed into position. The shank points forward under the deck so that it cannot get entangled. I have the chain and rode directly behind in a canvas bucket underneath the forward thwart. The chain can be secured to the shank before embarking on an outing.

Great anchor but as it's made of steel not aluminium be watchfull that it and any chain is not dumped next to a traditional compass one day or it will literally have a bearing on it.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 11-28-2017 at 06:21 AM.

Good point.
    I mount my compass much further back on the CB trunk and have not noticed any deviation but will double-check at the beginning of next season!

I purchased this 9 lb Rocna specifically upon John Hartmann's recommendation as he has had extensive positive experience with it under a variety of conditions.

My only complaint so far had been that the ends of the hollow arc are open and lodged-in mud kept leaking out of the two orifices (a prodigious amount) after I had cleaned off the anchor and stowed it back in the chock... as a result the messy goop got all over the floor boards and inside the flotation chamber underneath. Nasty stuff! After cleaning everything out, the problem was easily solved by plugging up the two openings thereby preventing muddy lake bottom from digging itself into those holes - ever again.

Not all problems have such easy solutions!