Thread: Young 3.3 Dinghy

Default Young 3.5 Dinghy

Got hold of a new project! This is allegedly a Young 3.3, although I can find no information on it. Length is more like 3.5 m over all, and 1.6 m wide. It has sat unused for many years, but most of the plywood seems to be in good condition. There is some rot around the starboard stern area which will have to be addressed, as well as the skeg/keel. It's got a stayed alloy rig with main and jib, and a trailer which also needs attention.

(EDIT: I changed the title since I've found some references to Young 3.5's)

If anyone knows more about the design, please let me know!

Last edited by tdem; 02-20-2016 at 10:07 PM.

Default Re: Young 3.3 Dinghy

Jim Young is a legend. He describes himself as an intuitive designer ..... all his boats are good boats.
    I've used his 2.7 dinghies before but don't know that particular one. Looks like I'd expect one of his to look like though.

Yes I agree it has the look! Looking forward to getting it on the water. It looks like there's a Young 3.5 design, so I guess that's what it is.
    Last edited by tdem; 02-20-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Nice!
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

I'm sure no-one here would be surprised that once I started digging...

I've added some more photos to the album:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/443654...57664848544556

I've hammered and prised away most of the bad plywood. Unfortunately the transom is in a worse state than I initially thought. Most of the bottom was solid epoxy filler, covered by several layers of random bits of ply epoxied and siliconed on top.

The worst discovery is the stringer (cleat?) which runs along the bottom on the inside of the buoyancy tank is completely toast. It's unfortunate because it continues well into the area where the plywood is still fine. This means I might have to remove a lot more good ply than I'd like. Unless I can get at it through the hole. I could just leave it in, it seems that if the rot was to spread it would have done so already. On the other hand is is like a sponge with a layer of porous fibreglass over top.

The second problem is how to approach replacing the ply. The sides and bottom curve, and the transom is somewhat curved as well. Being a stitch and glue boat there is no frame once I remove the ply, and I loose my references. Also, in the original boats construction the seat tops would have been put on last, but I'd like to avoid removing those as they are fine.

The ply that has to be replaced is basically the last 2 feet, from the port chine across to where the starboard buoyancy tank starts. As well as the lower foot of the transom across this same region. (As well as that pesky stringer, which might be rotten all the way to the front of the tank).

Any suggestions on the easiest way to do this? I'm thinking make a template of the transom, then replace the necessary ply on the bottom (basically the last 2 feet of ply), followed by the lower half of the transom. This would give me access to do the fillets inside the buoyancy tank through the open transom. Then add some framing and screw the transom on.

The alternative is to do the transom first, then put in essentially chine logs and framing and put the bottom on that way. This seems easier to me.

Also, scarf in the new bottom section, or butt block?

This shows the stringer, as you can see I was able to push a screwdriver right into the end of where it extends under good ply.

Looks like your`e right ...3.5 m

This is from a fellow Kiwi on his blog .....

And I still have plans for a Jim Young 3.5m stitch and tape sailing dinghy, if I get really ambitious.
    Maybe worth contacting him ?

Blog link below :

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...CDmH6Yj5LMLMrw

Tdem, you have a major job here. I would do the refit this way.
    Make an exact copy of the transom, and set up right inside the old one. You should be able to do this by measurement.
    There is no kelson (inside hull keel) as it is stitch and glue hull which makes it a challenge.
    Set up hull upside down and brace both gunwales so they are square. On the worst side remove from the centre as far forward
    as the butt block where the sheets join. Use what is left to pattern a 2 new bottom sections.
    Doing one side at a time stitch and glue into position each bottom section and join to the old hull bottom at the butt blocks.
    Start the second once the first side has dried.
    You have a big challenge with this job.

Was shocked to see it's been almost two years! The boat has been sitting outside on a trailer, covered with a tarpaulin. I've made sure there hasn't been any water sitting in it.

I finally got stuck in and made some progress. My annual leave coincided with a sudden week of constant rain, so really nothing else to do!

I ended up partially following Don Macleods advice, with some lazy shortcuts and also wanting to try out some different techniques.

I started out with a template of the transom, then cut away the bottom panel on one side. Next I made a template of the remaining bottom panel. The rot had spread through the side panel of the buoyancy tank so I made a template of this too and then removed it. This also gives me access to make the chine joint on the inside.

I decided to keep the top bit of the transom as it's sound and saves me a ton of work. I simply glued the new transom right over top of what remained of the old transom.

I've also cut away part of the other bottom panel. This bit I will try to do with butt joins with glass on each side. The larger panel I will try to scarf in at the old butt block location. The rest is all standard stitch and glue.

So far the work has been about equal amounts of staring and jigsaw work. The jigsaw with a metal cutting blade will cut right through the copper ties which is great. Other than that a lot of sanding, mostly angle grinder and some random orbital. Very unpleasant with all the fibreglass dust.

Templates have been interesting. By the time I take a pattern off an existing hull, cut it out, trace it and cut it out again I lose a lot of accuracy. Luckily for this project I don't care.

Some more progress.

Album

Is that unpainted wood a doubler put in to strengthen already weak ply?
    If so the bottom stiffeners were cut back (one on one side and two on the other) and will need reinstated properly.
    Nice little dink.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Looks great. Your workmanship has addressed all the challenges.
    Thank you for sharing your work with us

Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Thanks for your comments. I'm currently halfway through fitting the new seat/tank side. After that I'll fit new doublers for the bottom as suggested.

Nice video! Unfortunately my sails aren't as fancy. Also interesting to note that boat has a keel stepped mast whereas mine is basically deck stepped.

Some more progress last weekend:

Apologies for the crappy pictures. It doesn't really seem worth getting out the camera for this, but I'll take some good photos when it's all done.

Fitted the keel/skeg and cut to shape. That's the last new piece of wood I think! Also glassed the joins and did a second coat on all the glass tape. The outside is ready for some fairing and then paint.

The gunwales still need some attention as they are partially delaminated and slightly rotten in places. Not worth replacing at this stage. The thwart also needs to be re-glued. It's a bit tricky as the wood seems to have shrunk and no longer fits completely across the width it is spanning. Will have to un-epoxy the existing cleat and re-fit.

Nice recovery. It almost looked like you would have been better to start from scratch at one point there.
    I have plans for a 2.7 version stashed away.

Progress is still creeping along. Most of the sanding is out of the way now. The hull has been painted on the outside and is almost ready for painting the inside.

The seat has been removed, as well as all the fittings. I've also remade the cutout in the transom (although I did make it symmetrical and level, neither of which is used to be).

It's been a bit of a mission trying to get paint and epoxy to dry. It's the kind of weather here where a towel in the garage takes 4 days to dry. I've now got a tarp and fan heater which does a good job of drying out the boat. I've also moved back into the garage, now that all the sanding is done.

Last night I epoxy coated all the interior exposed wood, some of which was a little soft. The next session should see some interior paint, hopefully!

Fixing the top of the centreboard case:

Replacing the cleats for the seat:

Painting some of the loose pieces:

Painting of the hull is also coming along. A few more coats on the gunwale and then it's time to put the fittings back on!

The end is in sight...

Wow, I wouldn't recognize her as the same boat that you started with. Fun colors!
    "Oh my god, Triscuits are, like, the best." L.F Herreshoff, The Compleat Cruiser

Thanks! It's definitely not a showpiece but looks good from a small distance. The inside colour is actually light grey, looks a bit blue in the pictures. It's amazing how a coat of paint suddenly transforms the boat!