Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: White Salmon build

Default White Salmon build

The plans arrived about a month ago and I have been digesting them and collecting the stuff I need to get this done. I had to buy a tape measure and folding stick that measures inches etc. The only tape measure in the hardware store with inches was $2.50, so that was a result!

I wanted to build a dinghy for rowing out to my yacht Haumuri that will stand up in the boatshed, use cedar strip ( as I have the raw material), and look awesome of course!
    I had a look around on the WWW and there are lots of dinghy plans out there, but not many strip built pram.
    The double transom give biggest volume for the length the way I see it.
    I didn't want to pay for something that would then have to be adapted to strip, so it came down to 3-4 options.
    I liked the look of the White salmon, so here I am.

This morning I traced around and cut out 2 of the molds and the 2 bow/stern moulds in 18 mm plywood.

[IMG]20160219_100003 by Craig Slack, on Flickr[/IMG]

I dumped the useless jigsaw that I had, but the thin kerf battery saw makes it easy.
    [IMG]20160219_100514 by Craig Slack, on Flickr[/IMG]

Shaving down to the line
    [IMG]20160219_112100 by Craig Slack, on Flickr[/IMG]

2 done plus the bow and stern forms, 5 more to go.
    [IMG]20160219_115830 by Craig Slack, on Flickr[/IMG]

I still need to decide what material to use for the bow/stern and the fitout. I'm keen to keep weight down so Okume would be a good choice, but I would rather use solid.
    I guess if it going well I can use Kauri, but it would double the cost of the build to get wide planks if even available.

This isn't going to happen quickly, so don't expect to see me rowing any time soon.
    Last edited by Slacko; 08-17-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Default Re: White Salmon build

PLEASE CONTINUE...

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I'm FROM the beautiful Pacific NW. And I hate to break it to you, but there IS no such thing as a White Salmon. It's a Native American myth.

Seriously - nice work so far. I've always had a soft spot for tubby little prams. I look forward to more progress fotos.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

"but there IS no such thing as a White Salmon. It's a Native American myth."

Fear not...there are white fleshed king (Chinook) salmon so that should be good enough...Moe

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    there IS no such thing as a White Salmon. It's a Native American myth.
    The white albino Atlantic Salmon living in the fish tank at L. L. Bean's Freeport, Maine store doesn't seem like a myth.

Benson

Last edited by Benson Gray; 02-19-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Looks like a great project. I built a cheap plywood pram of similar dimensions years ago. It was stored on the beach and used to row out to my boat, therefore very cheaply built in case of thieves. But, it was a great little boat with lots of carrying ability.
    Strip building is fun and relatively easy. However, I just spent the day fiberglassing the inside of my new strip built launch. Yuck. Not a job I enjoy.

Don't forget to cover the edges of your molds with packing tape so your strips don't get glued to them.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

White salmon...white horse...white whale...white buffalo...these and more carry connotations of greatness and are usually spoken of with awe, respect and wonder. Carry on!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

There are white spring salmon, as opposed to red. I am not sure if the colour difference is due to diet or heredity. They are supposed to taste better, but they all taste pretty good to me.

There is a white Kiwi that hatched in an incubator a couple of hours drive from me.
    They are stories of them in mythology, but you can see why they are not plentiful when you visit the sanctuary for a look.
    As kiwi cages are always completely dark you usually you need to stare around for 20 minutes until you either spot some movement or get bored and carry on.
    This white one is lit up like neon and wouldn't last a day in the wild.
    It is not albino either.

I'm not looking forward to glassing the inside either by the way.
    I was impressed with the cross section in the plans shown in the OP. It looks like lots of stability and load capacity right there.

No work today, I spent the day building a playhouse for a 5 year old.

I'm looking forward to this thread.
    I would like to build either a Lawley or Lawton tender.
    Were you against using 3/4 ply for the transom?
    I have a very good sheet of wisa ply that's all.
    Cheers James
    Last edited by Jamesh; 02-20-2016 at 03:19 PM.

I may use ply for the transoms yet. I've not done anything for them yet.
    I got the rest of the molds sketched onto the ply, rough cut around today and one more planed down to the pencil lines.

As I said, this isn't gonna happen quickly.
    I got the last 2 frames trimmed down to the pencil line today.
    A photo of them in order from the bow.

I need to decide what to do for the timber for the transoms.
    A trip to the timber yard is in order tomorrow!

I can get 200 mm wide planks of Cedar for the transoms which will mean I can make them with 1 join.
    I'm now wondering if this is a good method rather than using the 18 mm ply (which I would have to buy a whole sheet of to get the 2 components I need).
    Will the cedar be stable enough in 200 mm wide 19 mm thick planks to not warp and split?
    The dinghy will be dry stored in a boatshed, and left on the mooring when we go racing for the day.
    I'll glass both sides and varnish them along with the rest of the boat.
    That statement is assuming I don't make a hash of it and have to paint it!

I built this pram about 7 years ago, and used cedar planks for the transoms. There has been no issue with the stability of the transoms, they were completely encapsulated in epoxy and cloth. The boat lives on the stern of a cruiser, and is stored under a house in the winter. Total weight came to 55 lbs, could be lifted onto the mother ship by hand.
    rgds

Rick
    oysterbayboats.ca

Thanks Rick,
    It is nice to know that my proposed method has worked in practice.

The guy that I share my boatshed with launched his yacht after being in the hard for a few months.
    His dinghy had sunk at the mooring, and he was hoping it had disappeared.
    After getting back to the mooring and getting Galatea packed away, one of the guys pulled up a loose line.
    A creature for the deep emerged, encrusted in weed and barnacles.
    A fibreglass dinghy may sink, but you are never rid of it.
    We decided to let it drop back to the bottom and deal with it later.
    There was rum to get rid of in the shed!
    A great sail was had on a 1910 gaff cutter today, racing on Haumuri tomorrow, 12-15 knots forecast.

I got a couple of hours work done in the last week.
    I purchased some Cedar planks 300 x 25, which I will use for the transoms, and possibly the thwarts.

I planed the edges of the planks and routed some grooves for biscuits.
    Epiglue was used to join them.

[IMG]20160404_163140 by Craig Slack, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20160404_162747 by Craig Slack, on Flickr[/IMG]

The clingfilm was to stop it sticking to the saw bench and the clamps that were used to hold while the glue dried.
    I then sanded the bow plank smooth and traced the shape onto it.
    [IMG]20160405_080806 by Craig Slack, on Flickr[/IMG]

Partially planed down to the pencil line was as far as I got.
    Last edited by Slacko; 08-19-2017 at 03:32 AM.

The other transom is glued, and waiting for me to sand and trace the pattern onto it.
    I've been busy working on this other yacht at present.

Looks like two cool projects!

I like those plans, too. Though I did notice that they say 1 and 1/2 inches equals 1 inch. I think they meant 1 foot.

Don't want to have a "Spinal Tap" Stonehenge moment at the launching!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

OK, so the work on Mabel is done, so I can hopefully get back to work on the little guy in my "spare" time.

I spent the middle of the day today running wiring for the Nexus wind gear I'm installing on Haumuri.

So, I managed to get the shed I want to build in cleared out a bit so I can use it.
    I also got my fibreglass fizzboat running, repaired the trailer to get it road legal, and SOLD!
    I then built a retaining wall and fence to reclaim some jungle at the back of the house.

I had this pile of cedar cladding from the house that has been sitting around for awhile.

This got ripped on the sawbench and thicknessed down to the matchsticks that are needed.
    Avoiding the obvious rotten bits meant that 75% ended up in the burn pile, but I got enough to get started with.

I then ran it through the convex 1/2 of the router bit after making some guides to keep it steady.
    At each step of the process, more sticks get rejected to the burn pile and I have enough kindling to last a couple of months now.
    I'll cut the concave edge as the pieces get used to limit the damage of storage to the fragile edge.

I'm now building the strongback following the instruction manual.
    After "finishing" it, I was thinking it looked pretty big for an 8' dinghy.

I've lost the $3 imperial tape measure and don't use inches unless forced to so am converting to metric then building.
    The next step was to get the plans out and lay out the positions of the forms and transoms.
    The plans showed that the strongback ends needed to be angled to fit the transoms and also 3 feet shorter than initially built.
    It would have been a whole lot easier to cut the angles with the cutoff saw prior to assembling.

Anyway, the next step was to mark where the moulds get fitted.
    The instructions talked about which face of the mould to measure to.
    The plan on the other hand showed the measurement in the middle of the mould.
    I was going to follow the drawings because there are other discrepancies in the instructions that make me think they are generic to his Kayak designs, not specifically for this dinghy.
    I guess I need to clarify with Ray before continuing.

Keep those updates coming.

In this case the 'White Salmon' comes from the town in Washington. Which is named for the nearby river. Which was named by Lewis & Clark when they noticed all the pale colored, spawned out, Chinook salmon clogging the river when they arrived in the area. They're nigh onto dead by that point, and no good for eating. But don't try and tell that to the eagles, crows, coyotes, etc.

I've got a good friend who lives near there. Closer to the Klickitat river than the White Salmon. He's old... but not old enough, I don't believe, to have greeted Lewis & Clark when they showed up. He's talked with some local Natives who recall elders talking about that visit, though. And the natives still call the White Salmon river by its original name. The river was damned at one point - a few miles up from its confluence with the Columbia. The resulting 'Northwestern Lake' was the site of the first sail of one of our boats.
    Last edited by David G; 03-20-2017 at 11:23 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Slacko, as you well know i have a bit of trouble keeping my project instructions separate BUTT 2 of the items i have held onto, from separate plans/instrictions, is to make sure of and continually check the levelness of my work table(your strong back) and to MARK CENTERLINES BOLDLY(table/strong back, frames transoms

using the boldly marked centerlines has aided in validating my processes as i work tru them

btw, that 2x stock you are using is way better looking than anything i can buy locally

keep the pics coming

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Apologies for the diversion from this lovely build, but as to the existence of white salmon, these folks harvest and sell it. My brother caught a white-fleshed Chinook several summers ago fishing out of Gold River, British Columbia. Now back the build! So nice to see old siding being repurposed, and oh, the sweet smell.

http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/...on_Fillets.htm

I don't mind the diversion at all Bill.
    Most farmed salmon has additives in their food to make the flesh pink.
    I can't remember what causes it to be pink normally in the wild though.

That 2x stock in the photo is also pink from pressure the treatment which stinks, but also caused a stink when it came out because it provides no rot protection at all.
    Wildly expensive too!

Quote Originally Posted by Slacko View Post
    I don't mind the diversion at all Bill.
    Most farmed salmon has additives in their food to make the flesh pink.
    I can't remember what causes it to be pink normally in the wild though.

That 2x stock in the photo is also pink from pressure the treatment which stinks, but also caused a stink when it came out because it provides no rot protection at all.
    Wildly expensive too!
    I know salmon of a harvestable age eat smaller fish almost exclusively. No idea which fish contribute most to the 'salmon' color of salmon flesh. Farmed fish eat fishmeal pellets. They add the carotene (carrot-coloring) to bring the color up to snuff.

There is such a thing as a white elk. And white buffalo exist. But all the 'white salmon' talk is only describing 'lighter' salmon. The only actual white that I've seen is the blooms of fungus that sometimes begin to grow on spawned-out fish even before they die. Sounds lovely, eh? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I'm looking forward to seeing more. I think she'll be a real looker in cedar-strip. The design itself is a sweet solution to the short/burdensome/lovely balance. I think Mr. Klebba - whose work is mostly in canoes... and kayaks... really did a nice job on this one.

And, back to the White Salmon connection for a moment - my oldest boy just left for a solo backpacking trip just North of there this morning. Hiking into Soda Peaks Lake - about halfway between the town of White Salmon... and Mt. St. Helens -- http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/soda-peaks-lake
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Slacko View Post
    As I said, this isn't gonna happen quickly.
    So glad to see this build going together. I remember when you were considering designs and saw you mention in that thread that you've made a start. Fortunately with boat building it can be both the journey and the destination. Very nice recycle-reuse along the way too. Thanks for sharing the build

The 12mm plywood deck on the strongback stiffened things up.
    I stretched a stringline down the centre and sprayed it onto the ply with black paint.
    It wa after this that I realised that the ends needed to be bevelled for the bow and transom.
    This would have been a whole lot easier to do before assembly with the cutoff saw, but reading instructions regularly is a skill too!

This photo also shows the shelf to locate the bow on. I had to adjust the height so that the sheer on the bow was level with the strongback top.
    I levelled the strongbavk with a couple of packers, then screwed it down to the sawhorses.
    I must remember to spray around the feet to show the correct location in case it moves.

The bow clamped in place. The first bit of actual boat in location!

I got forms 1-3 located before running out of time. Form 1 also has a piece between it and the bow to give the shape to the centreline, so took quite a bit of fiddling to get into the correct spot.
    I still need to put braces on the centreline to hold each form vertical.

I got a some more moulds fitted last night. The last one is standing there to show the shape that is forming.

White vs Pink Salmon, ad infinitum: http://www.snopes.com/business/market/pinkcan.asp
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

OK, all the moulds are fitted and I started bevelling them for the planking.
    I thought this would be a time consuming process, but I started in the middle and got to the stern on 1 side in about 30 minutes.
    I Still have to do the transom which has the biggest bevel and is permanent and visible, but was happy with progress.
    I'm using a chisel into the sheer locating notch and a spokeshave for the rest of it.
    It looks like I may have to move one of the moulds as the batten doesn't want to sit correctly yet.
    This will be due I guess to the conflict between the instructions and the drawings.
    I have to assume the moulds are correct at least and they will show me where they need to be located.

I finished bevelling the moulds today.
    I'm glad I did the stern before the bow.
    Even though I was happy with the method I was using there was a moment there when I was ripping into the bow where I thought "I am removing a lot of material here and it could go very bad".

There was quite a change in the bevel, but it just seemed to come out naturally with the batten.
    Yacht racing tomorrow, so no progress expected.

I got some strips on today.

I'm using gorilla glue premium. Quite messy!
    I followed the manual and stripped up to the chines, then started from the keel back down.
    The bow area is a bit of a dogs breakfast and will have to come off again I think. I tapered strips 3 and 4 out from the centre down to 10 mm and used a heat gun to put twist into the strips. Maybe if I had also tapered the first strip out from the centre it may have gone better, but there is a bump after form No 1 that isn't going to sit down as I add more strips.
    I decided to keep going from the sheer to see how far I can get before I hit similar problems. The strips are now wanting to sit on edge, so I going to taper a couple and see if it settles down again.
    I've not done this before and the 1/2 page in the manual on the mechanics of applying the strips isn't quite enough for me.
    There is more about making pretty patterns with the strips!

I decided to remove the bulging strips at the bow by trimming them back and splicing some new bits on.
    I ended up tapering the first 3 out to nothing and gluing them to the centre strip.
    The subsequent ones sit down nicely now, so much happier.

The stern also needs the occasional strip tapered out to 1/2 width to keep the strips sitting down.
    This is where I'm at today. Not quite so much progress, but going in the right direction.