Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Schooner discussions

Default Re: Schooner discussions

Jay Greer has always shared his wealth of knowledge with me freely.
    We should all send our best wishes in what every we can.
    John

"Jay Greer's Red Witch"
    An old post from WB forum 02-28-2019, 05:26 PM
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...quot-recovered
    Thread: A lost photo of "Red Witch" recovered

My friend Mike Anderson, was going though his photo files and found this shot he took of "Red Witch" just before she was run down by a power vessel whilest becalmed. "Red Witch" is number five of the series of common sense 28' sloops designed by west coast designer builder Matt Walsh. This boat is the best boat I have ever owned or sailed. She can produce an amazing amount of speed in a variety of wind and water conditions.
    Jay

Default Re: Schooner discussions

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I am pretty familiar with Ninita; I did the new structural and arrangement design work on her for the owners and for Covey Island when she was built. Very interesting engine installation.
    mmd,
    I may take you up on your offer someday.
    How did the twin screws work out?
    I would think they were great in the harbor docking.

Attachment 94343
    I was thinking of doing a half mold cut along the waterlines of NIŅA but all the line drawings I could rip off the internet are not complete.
    I am checking with the New Bedford Whaling Museum. I don't know where to find accurate line drawings or offsets but the game is afoot.

Here is the beginning of my rendering of W Starling Burgess's NIŅA. Winner of the 1928 Fastnet Race at the The Needles off the coast the Isle of Wright.
    I have defined some of the shapes between the sea and sky but have much graphite to lay down and much to erase still.
    John

Nina at the needles.jpg

Last edited by John Howland; 09-26-2021 at 01:26 AM.