Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: A Beg-Meil for Boston

Default Re: A Beg-Meil for Boston

Quote Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
    I mis-spoke, the planing off is for the inner coaming support clamp, not here. Never mind. I also double checked my screw placement: it was four - bow end, transom end on timber, and two timber frames along the way. With that and epoxy the clamps have successfully lifted the entire boat, seems plenty strong.

Very ingenious, John....I think that would be about the only way to get decent purchase on the end grain of plywood. I will file that away for future use. Thanks!
    Hi John, Jason,

Thanks for the input. I will have faith the epoxy is up to the task. I will put screws only into timber. I read in the West Systems bible about the process you describe, Jason, for installing a fastener into an epoxy filled hole. Did you use a machine screw (as opposed to a wood screw) as described in the book? (It sounds like a lot of work...) I may install a few fiberglass dowels through the clamp and into the plywood end grain.

I have followed the posts associated with both your builds. After seeing how beautiful your work is, I am inspired to try harder.

Thanks again,

Quote Originally Posted by CundysHarbor View Post
    Dean,
    Your build looks very nice; good job. I bought poly tube on EBAY. Mine is three inches wide on the flat. Let me know if this would be helpful. Steam bag is the way to go; it beats a steaming box in so many ways. I left 1 x 1/2 cedar strips clamped on the boat for a day (without the bag) before epoxying.

Thanks for the lead on the poly bag. I will see what is available on eBay. I had found a few places that sell the stuff, but everything seem to be offered in 1000 foot rolls...

Regards,

The clamps are finally on! Two layers of 15mm x 300mm CVG fir epoxied on one at time. It seemed to take countless attempts to fit and took 5 pieces to install 4 decent ones.

Beveling the notches in the frames to accept the clamps:

This is a weird view, but I spent a lot of time lying on the floor sighting down the sheer trying to convince myself the clamp was fair.

It took all my clamps (40+) to clamp the second ply to the first. What a rag tag bunch of clamps...

Both pairs of clamps landed on the stem such that the forward edge protruded past the bevel on the stem. I could not figure out why it worked out that way. The first clamp landed a bit short, too. I'm going to have to do some fairing to fudge this in...

Now it's time to start some serious beveling. A question for those who have done this before:

Should I bevel everything before the first strip plank is laid, or should I "bevel as I go"? I can think of arguments for both sides... Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanP View Post
    Now it's time to start some serious beveling. A question for those who have done this before:

Should I bevel everything before the first strip plank is laid, or should I "bevel as I go"? I can think of arguments for both sides... Thanks for all the help, everyone.
    what beveling? I think I am going to vote "bevel as you go"

After what seemed like months of planing, I finally have started the strip planking process. I'm using 1/4 x 3/4 inch Western Red Cedar bead and cove. I was able to buy 16 foot lengths from Newfound Woodworks in Bristol, NH. I only have a few strips in place, but so far they are installing nicely.

I'm bonding the strips with both West Six10 thickened epoxy and the TotalBoat equivalent. Both come in caulking gun type tubes with disposable static mixers. It's an expensive way to put down epoxy, but there is little waste and it's fast which is important since I am installing the strips solo.

I using Raptor composite staples to secure the strips to the bulkheads and clamps. So far so good. 90psi at the compressor sets each staple just below the surface. These will never be seen again as these strips will get 2 layers (+/- 45) of 1/8" WRC.

I'll post more photos soon. TinyPic.com is not working for me this afternoon...

This is fantastic, so when you flip the boat you'll have frames, floors, bench risers, sheer clamp, center board case, stringers - everything in place and built in.
    That is very cool.
    Have you considered painting the interior parts while you don't have to lean in over the rail to get to those hard to reach spots?

Trev
    Everyman carries within himself a world made up of all that he has seen and loved; and it is to this world that he returns incessantly, though he may pass through, and seem to inhabit, a world quite foreign to it.
    Chateau-Briand, Voyage en Italie.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    This is fantastic, so when you flip the boat you'll have frames, floors, bench risers, sheer clamp, center board case, stringers - everything in place and built in.
    That is very cool.
    Have you considered painting the interior parts while you don't have to lean in over the rail to get to those hard to reach spots?

Trev
    I live not far from John Hartmann and saw his Ilur (same hull design) go together. I was amazed at the planning and precision of the molds, bulkheads, etc. and how everything went together to save time and produce a very strong hull. That is one very talented naval architect.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    That is very cool.

Trev
    Hi Trev,

Thanks for the kind words. It had been my plan all along to paint the interior before I planked it. I became overwhelmed with the detail of determining where to paint and where to mask. As a compromise, I put 3 coats of epoxy resin and sanded each part on the bench (before erecting on the frame). I'm not looking forward to painting the interior, but at least I will have less epoxy to apply and sand.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I live not far from John Hartmann and saw his Ilur (same hull design) go together. I was amazed at the planning and precision of the molds, bulkheads, etc. and how everything went together to save time and produce a very strong hull. That is one very talented naval architect.
    I've been eyeing Don Kurylko's D-18 Myst for many years now.
    I always thought it could be built like this, he gives great detail in the plans for bulkheads and so on. With a little bit of planning it could be done I'm sure.

This thread has inspired me to pull out those plans (again) and have a good old fashioned think!...... (again)
    Everyman carries within himself a world made up of all that he has seen and loved; and it is to this world that he returns incessantly, though he may pass through, and seem to inhabit, a world quite foreign to it.
    Chateau-Briand, Voyage en Italie.

I've installed a few more strips. At 3/4" per strip, even a 15 foot boat seems big. As I've added these strips, it has occurred to me that I don't have much bond area where each strip crosses a frame. The frames are 9mm or 15mm thick. The photo below is a 15mm, shown with the staples that serve a clamps to hold the strips in place until the epoxy cures.

The 9 mm frames have little bonding surface:

For frames that won't be seen in the completed hull, I'm thinking about installing fiberglass tape "shear clips" to beef up the connection.

Like here (inside a buoyancy compartment):

I'm thinking about 4" biaxial (+/- 45) fiberglass tape. Is it sacrilegious to use fiberglass like this?

As always, your input is most appreciated.

I'd suggest thickened epoxy fillets would work every well.

Chris

Hi Dean,

I'm sure others will be along to give advice too, but I think a medium-sized fillet of thickened goop would do the trick.

I did use a fillet and fiberglass tape where my skeg joins the hull, since I wanted super-strength, but it was a messy operation. Maybe a mock-up plywood corner to practice on?

Looking good!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Installing the strips is slow, but I press on. I've been using (TotalBoat) epoxy in the caulking gun compatible packaging. It it very convenient, though I will go through many static mixing tips before I am done. I've also been going through a lot of green masking tape:

Mike and Chris - Thanks for the suggestions on fillets. I mixed up some epoxy and added wood flour and fumed silica to make this fillet in the bow:

Once the planking is complete, I will complete the fillets when the hull is right side up. For now, I am filleting the areas that are within the flotation compartments and are easier to access now than later (I think).

Where the planking meets the transom, also within a flotation chamber, I put a layer of fiberglass tape over the fillet. Again, I will run the fillet and tape all around the transom to planking joint once the boat is turned over. I used 4" biaxial, 17 ounce tape. It's heavier than the application requires, but I wanted biax and did not find many options to choose from.

More pictures to follow...

Quote Originally Posted by DeanP View Post
    Installing the strips is slow, but I press on. I've been using (TotalBoat) epoxy in the caulking gun compatible packaging. It it very convenient, though I will go through many static mixing tips before I am done. I've also been going through a lot of green masking tape:

Where the planking meets the transom, also within a flotation chamber, I put a layer of fiberglass tape over the fillet. Again, I will run the fillet and tape all around the transom to planking joint once the boat is turned over. I used 4" biaxial, 17 ounce tape. It's heavier than the application requires, but I wanted biax and did not find many options to choose from.

More pictures to follow...
    Looking great! It seems to me that the fillets and fillets+tape will be very strong.

Jason

First post in a long time. Strip planking has caused me much heart ache. Some of it has been chronicled here:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ighlight=strip

The advice of many posters proved very helpful. I cut away the twisted strips, found a (more) fair line, and incorporated "stealers" to keep the strips laying fair. After a while, even the stealers had trouble and I started steaming the strips. This allowed me to incorporate the twist between the flat bottom and the vertical stem.

I have been using a piece of PVC pipe as a steam box. It does not take the temperature well, but has served to prove the concept of steaming strips. After steaming, I tack a strip in place, let it dry overnight and epoxy it on the next night. A steamed and dried strip comes out like this:

The process was very slow...

Attached Images Attached Images

Finally, I started to overlap the keelson:

Here, I'm approaching the centerboard well. The plan is to strip completely over it and cut is out after the diagonals and glass have been laid.

I started to sand the completed side. It's still to early to tell if it will be fair.

When I get sick of sanding, there are plenty of strips to place on the other side:

Dean - glad to see your posts, keep up your spirits as you trudge through the sanding....it can be tedious, for sure. I had wondered about this lovely boat and how she was coming along, but here it turns out I missed the thread with all the troubles with the strips. It seems, from what I can see, that you have overcome the issues and will have a nice fair hull. May that turn out to be the case! One day you will look back at the trouble and laugh, "ha, that was way worse than this new issue I have to figure out....." Have no fear, that boat is going to be lovely.....

Agreed. Plus it was nice of you to let me get ahead of you a bit since so much of your internal structure is already done!

Glad to see you coming back after the setback. This

I started to sand the completed side. It's still to early to tell if it will be fair.

looks great!

Got to go get the boy!

MO
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."