Thread: Ninigret pipe dream

Default Ninigret pipe dream

Not wanting to hijack Paul's pipe dream thread, my own wild dream of late has been building and enjoying my own Ninigret for fishing and fun on Lake Erie.
    Such a beautiful boat and looks very capable on the lake. Seeing stuff like this just fuels the fire:

More Ninigret -ness

This would be a huge outlay of cash for me and will most probably remain just a dream, but it is fun to dream...
    I would likely want to stay with a 25 to 30 hp four stroke outboard - brand new, of course, as long as we are dreaming...
    Might as well include live wells either side of the outboard well. A new trailer too, what the heck.
    I guess if I had to pick from all the boats I would like to build or have - or both, the Ninigret would win.
    I might just by the plans and see where it goes from there... in the end it probably won't ever happen but thanks for listening to my dream.
    Feel free to share your own dream, just tell me I'm goofy, or fuel the fire with more Ninigret stuff.
    Last edited by timo4352; 02-10-2016 at 03:53 PM.

Default Re: Ninigret pipe dream

Neat video. I'll need that crew to help carry the Rambler out of my backyard.

When I first saw the video I thought, wait a minute that doesn't look like a northern lake. It looks like the low country. Sure enough it's near Charleston.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

It is a pretty cool way to launch a boat but I might have trouble rounding up that may friends at one time ---- or at all for that matter!

Love the design, love the song, a perfect pairing!

An acquaintance of mine fell in love with the design, as you have, after building an Abaco dinghy with his kids years ago. Unfortunately, age and timing ran against him ever repeating the experience building the Ninigret, so he contracted the Maine Maritime Museum to build the bare hull. They have a great program using volunteers for the hard work and using the build as an educational display so that he wound up with a good hull faster and cheaper than he could have built himself.

He then got to finish it out with his now adult children on weekends and they all got a great looking boat they all worked on fast and relatively cheap.

Bath, Maine ain't that far from NE Ohio if you get any wild assed crazy ideas.
    Plures Naves Quam Mentes!

More Boats Than Brains!

WONDERFUL color selection!!!!

I have a set of plans...
    Steve Martinsen

I built a version of Ninegret, blended plans from Atkin, Harry Bryan's Handy Billy and Bateau.com's Nina. Nice boat, powered with a 25hp 4 stroke. Top speed 23mph according to gps.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    I built a version of Ninegret, blended plans from Atkin, Harry Bryan's Handy Billy and Bateau.com's Nina. Nice boat, powered with a 25hp 4 stroke. Top speed 23mph according to gps.
    Yeah? Let's see it! I've got Handy Billy plans too. I finally realized I don't like going that slow so never built it. Would love to see your boat and hear how she performs.
    Plures Naves Quam Mentes!

More Boats Than Brains!

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't consider 23 mph to be slow.
    Heck in my early 20's I had an 18 foot Lyman islander with a 60 hp flathead - I'd say it ran about 18 mph flat out. Even being a younger guy, possibly a bit reckless, etc. I never considered that boat too slow. It was a fun ride.
    I guess i'd like to reclaim some of that with a Ningret.

I would buy the plans if I were you ,and see what that leads to . Maybe you would then make a model .

It would be high on my list too
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Willin' View Post
    Yeah? Let's see it! I've got Handy Billy plans too. I finally realized I don't like going that slow so never built it. Would love to see your boat and hear how she performs.
    You can see the history of my build on my blog, here is a link.http://cruisinghouseboat.blogspot.com if you click on the pictures they enlarge.
    Last edited by Oldad; 02-11-2016 at 08:41 AM.

Two years later and the dream has resurfaced with fervor. Can't stop thinking about it now.
    A new 30hp runs between $5000 and $6000.
    I'm on the edge of buying the plans...
    Anybody have a bill of materials list for the Ningret? Or just number of sheets of plywood required?

I also thought seriously about Ninigret but my mooring field has a 20' limit. If I got on the waiting list for a different mooring field I would die before getting it.

you been dreamin about this for years but you don't have plans yet?!? get to it man! theyre only 50 or so dollars.

the Atkins never really included much in the way of a bill of materials. I have several of their plans and none of them indicate board footage or the #of ply sheets needed. judging by the size is imagine you're looking at about 10 sheets, or more. I'd be more curious about the requirements for framing it out.

Harold payson and co, of instant boats fame, also has a version of the ninigret - drawn for paysons "down east dories" by John. http://www.mcssl.com/store/hhpaysonc...ns/beachcomber

...some clue as to framing requirement from the Atkin Ninigret page:

"Ninigret's principal dimensions are 22 feet 1/4 inch overall by 20 feet on her waterline by 6 feet 8 inches beam and 1 foot draft. She is constructed of 3/8 inch rotary-cut Bruynzeel waterproof plywood over 5/8 inch by 2 1/2 inch white oak frames spaced on the stations"

I still have lots of nice Douglas fir that could be planed down to 3/4" for the framing...

...Well is it going to happen or not???
    ...still not sure... but I did order the plans, and getting myself mentally prepared for it... so that's a start...
    I have been missing building something...

Which book on lofting would you recommend for this hull?
    I'm thinking it is a somewhat simple hull and don't want to overload my brain with lots of extra lofting info that might not apply to my particular situation, like round hull , curved transom, etc.
    Seems to me that too much info there would just confuse things unnecessarily. A simple approach might be better.
    Thanks

The Ninigret plans came in the mail today.
    They look good to me. Scantlings are listed, but not number of sheets of ply - I'll figure it out...
    Looking forward to moving forward with the project.
    I'll start a fresh thread for the build if you are interested.

I am definitely interested, Timo.

Good luck with the build.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    I'll start a fresh thread for the build if you are interested.
    I'm definitely interested, too. After finishing a LYS, I am thinking about the next project, and Ninigret is on the short list.

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    Which book on lofting would you recommend for this hull?
    I'm thinking it is a somewhat simple hull and don't want to overload my brain with lots of extra lofting info that might not apply to my particular situation, like round hull , curved transom, etc.
    Seems to me that too much info there would just confuse things
    unnecessarily. A simple approach might be better.
    Thanks
    For lofting I used The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction book and Greg Rossel's Building Small Boats. Greg's explanation of diagonals actually made sense to me. I was getting stuck there.
    Get some plywood, paint it white and have at it.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Ninigret is on my list of contenders also. So a build thread will be welcomed.

Does anyone know how the word, Ninigret, is pronounced? I'm uncertain about the first i.

Jeff

According to a Ninigret owner at the SRR, it sounds like the nin in nincompoop.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White