Thread: Morbic 12

Default Morbic 12

Hi All, have been a big fan of the forum and magazine for a couple of years now and thought it was high time I started a little project of my own. This thread will be my build diary documenting the (slow) construction of a Francois Vivier designed Morbic 12.

I had originally considered building a larger double ender but as a first time builder with time and space constraints along with a desire for a simple build and a boat that's easily single handed by a novice I reconsidered and settled on the Morbic 12.

Factors that influenced the choice include:

• Size - (relatively quick to build, easy to handle, easily launched from a trailer (and a trolley if necessary) and easily towed to various launch sites)
    • Simple traditional rig - Simple, affordable and easy to set and maintain.
    • Sail and oar boat - A traditionally inspired no-nonsense workboat-like design. 12' is a little on the small side but I'm optimistic that I'll be able to enjoy some inshore exploration and dinghy cruising.
    • Clinker ply / glued lapstrake construction - A relatively forgiving construction method using readily obtainable and easily managed materials.
    • Detailed design - As a first time builder I was keen to be able to draw on detailed plans & support and the architect of this design has a reputation for both.

The lack of a suitable space in which to build was the biggest issue for me and having explored a number of options/locations I decided that the most cost effective and practical solution was to erect a temporary garage / tent for the duration of the build. I wired it for light and heat (in the interest of epoxy cures) and added a firm timber floor to ease setting up and improve comfort. It has worked out well so far despite the fact that I'm building a 3.7m boat in a 3.6m tent through a wet and (relatively) cold winter. Where there's a will there's a way!

To recap on the timeline to date:

Purchased study plans - July 2015
    Purchased plans & patterns - late Aug 2015
    Cut station moulds - Sept 2015
    Purchase ply - Oct 2015
    Cut and laminate - Oct 2015
    Setup building frame - late November 2015
    Started planking - Dec 2015
    Finish planking - late Jan 2016

The full size patterns that FV makes available for this design make layout quick and easy

a41dda37-eb4a-43ff-b63d-1039ced45e59.jpg

First thing I did was cut the station molds and supports and then I moved on to the plywood components such as the transom, centreboard and bulkhead 5.

72eeecad-567f-402b-bce9-4484d63e4433.jpg

4ee22309-925a-4b63-9c4e-124092cd4aea.jpg

7af2c56b-71d4-459b-aa03-b07694b5624e.jpg

And the false stem was then laminated around the plywood inner stem:

6d275d6f-b16a-4a32-9dd6-71cb990b861a.jpg

This post is probably already too long so I'll stop there for now.Thanks for lookin!
    Last edited by rochfordk; 03-05-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Default Re: Morbic 12

Next up was scarfing some of the longer plywood components, starting with the sole:
    84360b57-83c5-4155-b93c-f73b17893a9c.jpg

and then the full 8' sheets for the planks. I made up a jig using the tracksaw that made quick work of the scarfs on the 6mm (1/4") sheets.

c50fd486-e629-43ec-96c7-e8f444b9fa22.jpg

These were then laid out, pinned together and the planks cut in pairs (that's the building shelter in the background.

02b4cb8e-c748-4232-bb9d-fe5178dad8a2.jpg
    Last edited by rochfordk; 03-05-2018 at 01:34 PM.

She looks like she'll be a fine one. Thanks for sharing!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

OK....I have to admit to "clamp envy""

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    OK....I have to admit to "clamp envy""
    Really?!? I reckon I need a few more!

Quote Originally Posted by rochfordk View Post
    Really?!? I reckon I need a few more!
    I know for an absolute certainty that I do! I'm restoring an old Mirror and I've already run out just doing one outwale. They never seem to show up in local garage sales and it's a loooong way to any decent shops. AND I'm painfully cheap....harbor freight may prove to be my best friend for clamps.

Thanks Kevin!

So, the next step was to set up the building frame. It was great to get a better idea of the size and shape of the boat.

d6aa019f-3954-4253-a47c-ba4e838adf9c.jpg

The sole and garboard went on fairly easily

008880f9-a52d-407d-8a0e-62e044c89693.jpg

and planking progressed fairly smoothly from there

1ad5ff8b-3655-4de9-b8f9-938699534460.jpg

And that about brings me up to the present day.

I have made some minor deviations from the plans such as using 12mm ply where 10mm was specified (after consultation with the designer) and that has had some knock on effects with regard to layout and spacing. I’m moving at a slow enough pace that I can think those though and see any potential issues coming.

Another change I’ve made was to fit larger hatches to the side buoyancy chambers so I’ve added reinforcing in way of the openings:

a68b77c9-9fbe-4023-93ac-8999bf3567cc.jpg
    Last edited by rochfordk; 03-05-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    I know for an absolute certainty that I do! I'm restoring an old Mirror and I've already run out just doing one outwale. They never seem to show up in local garage sales and it's a loooong way to any decent shops. AND I'm painfully cheap....harbor freight may prove to be my best friend for clamps.
    I'm thinking about using a modified (wider) version of those plywood lapstrake clamps for the outwale and rubbing strips. There are still a few Mirrors around these parts and a british magazine Classic Sailor is doing a series on the restoration of one.

Thanks for what looks to be a great build thread. Morbic is a lovely boat! The picture below is of a particularly fine one built by Adrian Donovan in the UK. There are a couple of Beg-Meils and Ilurs that have been, or are currently, being built and shared on the forum. Welcome!
    [IMG]morbic by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

That's very nice!

A few things to note in that photo:
    first: see the oar neatly stowed under the seats? how sweet is that?
    second: how about the bronze ring that holds the yard to the mast? That's way better than rope.
    third: how neatly the sail, yard, and boom sit on the seat, all inboard. The boat is totally clear for rowing.
    This is such a nice, well thought out boat.

Adrian Donovan's build is really fantastic and while I'm not sure I'll achieve such a high quality result I have taken some inspiration from it including the storage of the oars. In fact the designer has included that oar storage detail in the drawings now but the cutouts in bulkhead 1* and the brackets built into bulkhead 3* have not yet made it onto his full size mylar patterns.

* going by the naming on the plans

I saw the Adrian Donovan pro built Vivier Morbic 12 at the Southampton Boat Show a year or two back. Here's some pictures I took of her. A very nice boat indeed.

[IMG]
    Morbic 12 by Edward Pearson, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Morbic 12 by Edward Pearson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 02-09-2016 at 12:51 PM.

And how about that centerboard? A single shock cord holds it in either an up or down position. No pennant or cleat needed. And the pivot rests in a slot.. I'm not sure, but I think you can just lift the board straight up out of the case to remove it. Thats very clever.

Quote Originally Posted by photocurio View Post
    And how about that centerboard? A single shock cord holds it in either an up or down position. No pennant or cleat needed. And the pivot rests in a slot.. I'm not sure, but I think you can just lift the board straight up out of the case to remove it. Thats very clever.
    Yes that's how Vivier arranges it. I have been very impressed with Vivier's plans. He clearly puts alot of traditional and original thought into every detail for each piece of a boat's structure to make it function better.

Nice pictures of Adrians work; and a very sorted 12ft dinghy. Good choice.

Thanks for posting those great pictures Edward - there are details there that I hadn't seen before.

I've turned mine over and started cleaning up. Also got the seat riser and inwale glued on and began on the rubrail

152cf89d-cc31-4e8c-a2c8-af1d398aaf03.jpg

ad14f926-4495-4666-ade5-0dddc15a30fd.jpg
    Last edited by rochfordk; 03-05-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Play was temporarily suspended due to the requirements of the day job and the arrival of a new member of crew (daughter!) but I'm back at this now.

I’ve got the side benches / floatation chambers finished out

40e94cbb-8ea7-4020-b7f8-614daeb51961.jpg

and then turned my attention to the centreboard and case. I wanted to use a larger diameter pivot and used a piece of stainless rod that a friend had to hand. I first ‘cast’ an epoxy plug in the centreboard and then drilled and set the pivot.

ce653901-c0cd-4ecb-9339-ac9cc1e89605.jpg

Having used Okume ply, I glassed the inside faces as per the recommendations. Here you can see the slots into which the pivot drops. I used the offcuts as plugs to set the glass cloth into the resin and it worked well.

2752de7b-c055-4ad6-8c62-d480a5e578b7.jpg

Aft quarter knees in Iroko to match the inwhale

The plans show the mast set through the ply foredeck with a doubler affixed below for reinforcement. I’m not too keen on the potentially exposed plywood edge and wanted a better wearing surface so came up with the following collar that incorporates a hole for the tack purchase to pass through. I’m trying to teach myself CAD at the moment so I drew it first

MastPartnerCollar.jpg

then made it in Iroko at the router table:

MastPartnerCollar.jpg
    Last edited by rochfordk; 03-05-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Centreboard case attached and trim applied to side benches

b3d663c1-85ec-499d-b583-05564e5ce169.jpg
    Last edited by rochfordk; 03-05-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Very nice. I'm impressed by your speed and craftsmanship.

You are making great progress. Thanks for sharing.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Great boat, very seaworthy looking for her size. Looking forward to seeing on-the-water pictures. Always had and have a soft spot for this one, I do.

Just a few more pics to record the progress. Inside is all cleaned up and (mostly) sealed. Moving on to painting next before I turn her over and start finishing the outside. I'm going to use Hempel epoxy primer undercoat and then finish with their two part polygloss top coat.

20160819_125542.jpg

20160819_125607.jpg

20160819_125557.jpg

I've put a very gentle sweep to the aft edge of the little foredeck. It didn't feel right to have a straight line amongst all those gorgeous curves!
    Last edited by rochfordk; 03-06-2018 at 08:00 AM.

All the pictures disappeared, at least for me.

But I wonder, was the boat ever completed and if so, how did it turn out?

So not to be too totally off topic, but I was having a right crappy day until I viewed the pics of that Morbic above. My outlook on this day got instantly better.

Thanks for sharing the simple pleasure of a nice wooden boat. And to the OP, best of luck with your build.

CG

Hi Robert,
    I had to relocate and have been separated from the project for over a year . I should be reunited with her soon though so expect regular service to be resumed then. It's anyone's guess whether she'll see the water this year but little by little we'll get there.

20161121_162316.jpg

This is pretty much where I had to leave her. After undercoating the inside she was turned over, the sole glassed and the skeg fitted. I still need to finish the rudder and make the spars (and its proving very difficult to get good timber for them).

I've enjoyed every minute of the build (and day dreaming since) so if you're considering building one I'd say go for it!

I'm going through the posts now to fix the broken image links.

RochfordK,

Hey, the pictures are showing up again, congrats. And thanks for the update, following these build threads is among my favorite things to do on this site.

I considered building a small boat for myself and have been researching and studying for the better part of the last few years and have just recently made the official plunge. I am in fact in the very beginning stages of ordering a kit for the Morbic 12 from Clint Chase, of Chase Small Craft. I will most certainly be looking towards this thread as a guide of sorts, and wish you the best in getting back to your project. I do find it a bit funny how you stated your enjoyment of day dreaming about the project, even when you were unable to continue work. Just dreaming of a small boat kit has sustained me for months and months, ha. This site, along with offcenterharbor and smallboatsmonthly subscriptions have been well worth the price of admission. I have even spent hours on the sites of all the small boat designers I could find, there are many good options making it very difficult to decide what to choose and whom to do business with. I am eagerly looking forward to getting started.

Best of luck to you.

Yes, Harbor Freight. I don't buy anything else there, but I have about 30 of their very inexpensive bar clamps, and they do the job. HF also has C-clamps (which they call U-clamps) with 5", 8", and even 12" throats—hard to find elsewhere and useful helpmates in a boat shop.

Finastkind.

Looking good. I was looking at a car toppable 12ftr, but i didnt want to sit on the sole due to knee issues, a boat Morbics size is a bit better suited, but most likely (with my back) will need a trailer.

Another build by Adrian Donovan, I poached this from the Small Boat pron thread. I think I like this one even more, he certainly is very skilled. I especially like the interior layout of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eojnXZ_MtA0

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Looking good. I was looking at a car toppable 12ftr, but i didnt want to sit on the sole due to knee issues, a boat Morbics size is a bit better suited, but most likely (with my back) will need a trailer.
    Since you're looking for a lighter boat, but have an interest in the Morbic.. I was in exactly the same thought pattern when I asked Francois Vivier if I could do the Morbic 12 in strip plank to save weight. My target was around a bit over 60 kg (140 lbs). He said it was possible if held to 11 feet. Hence was born the Morbic 11. There's another thread on that, so I won't repeat here, but wanted to add a reference to it in this thread in case someone else is looking for something lighter than the planked Morbic 12.

Link to the Morbic 11 build (it's complete now): http://brownz.com/?page_id=279

Rochfordk, keep up the good work - doesn't look like you have too much more to go.
    Gary

Fine build indeed, as above thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by robertjhall1 View Post
    Another build by Adrian Donovan, I poached this from the Small Boat pron thread. I think I like this one even more, he certainly is very skilled. I especially like the interior layout of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eojnXZ_MtA0
    Very big thanks, one of the best sailing videos I have seen - going to start a new thread about the My classic boat channel