Thread: Bowdidge style strip planking

Default Bowdidge style strip planking

In the last few days I've gotten started with the planking on my current project. It's my first crack at what I guess could be called the "gap strip" method, as developed by Mark Bowdidge. So far, I'm very pleased with the process. It goes fast, but first you have to free your mind from the compulsive need to fit things tight -- and surrender yourself to the dark power of epoxy. Repeat this mantra after me: 'It's just a core, dude..."

One of the key advantages of this technique is that it promotes a very fair surface even with relatively large frame spacings. I'm planking with 9/16" northern cedar strips on molds spaced on 1 meter centers. Ordinarily you could never get away with that, but the vertical 5mm plywood "fairing bands" pull everything into plain. Just hang a bunch of strips, eyeball them, then add the bands where needed. It's advantageous to run the strips in a pattern that avoids twisting them, and that's something I need to get a handle on yet, but I guess I'll figure it out.

It's true that it adds cost to the project, as epoxy certainly costs more than wood, but even amateurs like me have to realize that their time is not "free" -- and significant labor savings can easily recoup your materials cost. It also adds some weight, but in the case of my test samples, only about 6% for the core alone. By the time you add weight of the inner and outer sheathing that looks pretty insignificant.

Tom

Default Re: Bowdidge style strip planking

I'm a fan of Marks. Haven't built a boat with that method yet, but I have looked at it some, and see nothing fatal in the scheme, with several things to recommend it. And his results speak for themselves. Keep us updated, please.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

The tiny bit of detail on their web site concerning the basic hull structure indicates that tile spacers are used between the strips and that the spaces are filled with a mix of light weight filler and epoxy. The construction videos all avoid the basic details as if they consider the hull construction proprietary. The pictures show fiberglass sheathing. Are the gaps filled as you would grout tile? Do they use vacuum resin infusion?

It is certainly bog intensive, but one method i would consider if using strip "as a core", rather than a hull without sheathing both sides.
    Is that some kind of tunnel stern hull you have there?

Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    The tiny bit of detail on their web site concerning the basic hull structure indicates that tile spacers are used between the strips and that the spaces are filled with a mix of light weight filler and epoxy. The construction videos all avoid the basic details as if they consider the hull construction proprietary. The pictures show fiberglass sheathing. Are the gaps filled as you would grout tile? Do they use vacuum resin infusion?
    They used to have their strip planking video available on YouTube, but then they took it down -- no idea why?

Yes, you can grout it just like tile work, with a squeegee, but I put thickened epoxy into empty caulking tubes -- I think it goes faster and wastes less.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    It is certainly bog intensive, but one method i would consider if using strip "as a core", rather than a hull without sheathing both sides.
    Is that some kind of tunnel stern hull you have there?
    Yes, it's the boat from this video, but in 12"=1' scale.

Nice to see the progress, Tom--thanks for sharing! Will the outer skin be glass or dynel?

What sort of boat is it? Quite hard to tell looking at the construction so far.

Hi

is this going to be a "Wellenbinder"? A Artur Tiller Design?

Quote Originally Posted by John hartmann View Post
    Nice to see the progress, Tom--thanks for sharing! Will the outer skin be glass or dynel?
    Thanks John -- I'm having a blast, building is my natural state.

It will be all Xynole, except for a few high-strength areas.

Quote Originally Posted by koederfischgriller View Post
    Hi

is this going to be a "Wellenbinder"? A Artur Tiller Design?
    I'm not familiar with the work of Herr Tiller, but a quick Google search brought some interesting hits, like this page:

http://www.bootsmanufaktur.com/bootsmarkt/tiller-neubau

There are times when I wish I had paid a little more attention in German class, this is one of them.

Danke!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Burnett View Post
    What sort of boat is it? Quite hard to tell looking at the construction so far.
    It's a light displacement, trailerable, cruising launch.

The model in the video has a Kitchen rudder. Will you be using one?

Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    The model in the video has a Kitchen rudder. Will you be using one?
    Yup -- paper pattern expanded layout of K. rudder shells:

Just need to get some 3/16" silicone bronze sheet, and then it will have a date with my plasma cutter.