Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shellback Dinghy - 100lbs of buoyancy bags enough?

Default Re: Shellback Dinghy - 100lbs of buoyancy bags enough?

Just the information I was looking for thanks for re ignited this thread Tom.

With the restoration of a scruffy Tammie Norrie well underway flotation has crossed my mind repeatedly.

She will be used locally crossing the Currumbin bar for some Mackrell fishing ,Crabbing locally,and hopefully exploring Fraser Is.

Previous swamping with a Ness boat on the Currumbin bar proved once swamped the boat could be sailed downwind toward the beach while swimming behind . I need to add the Ness boat only had the aft flotation chamber built in.
    Another consideration is when emptying the boat ashore framing can be stressed by lifting the boat from the gunwales and dumping water.

I also have several questions regarding the TN posted under Building /Repair if anyone can help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post
    Have you done a capsize test yet? Any further developments?
    Hi. Just saw this question. I never ended up doing a capsize test because I sold the boat. Sorry I could not answer that.

Thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by GPBoatHead View Post
    An excellent idea. But I am having to order in bags the right size and for some reason they are being hard to find. So I would like to get it as correct as possible at first attempt. But I will do capsize tests once I get them installed.
    ---Get a hold of some cheap foam slabs, glue or tape into blocks (even cylinders) that approximate the bag size, then test your boat off the launch ramp. When you find the right location and combination, purchase the bags. -- Wade

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    T...If I swamp the boat I'll haul it to shore and either dump it out or bail and pump there. In many cases if it is windy and rough enough to knock your boat down, it is rough enough to keep you from bailing it effectively. But these methods rely on a lot of "maybes", so having sufficient flotation for self-rescue is a wonderful thing!
    --- Yes. I swamped an 11 foot dory-skiff of the approximate size and shape of the Shellback (though a bit heavier because made of solid wood). This was on a lake near-shore (a gibe event). The waves were high enough to continually re-fill the boat without any floatation. I had to lower the sail while balancing the hull, then get the dory pointed into the waves until I could use the bucket to get some water out, but I used the jib eventually to sail back to the ramp (downwind) mostly full of water still. As I picked up the pieces and noted the interesting blue-ish color of my skin (an October capsize in new England) I pondered what would have been nice. Yes, the float bags along the hull especially to stabilize it as I sat inside bailing (under the the simple side-seat planks I had put across across the rowing thwarts), but also I wondered if one of those high-capacity diaphragm pumps would have been useful, something I could operate with one hand as I floated alongside the hull, to get my weight out of the boat to raise it more above the waves. I think this would have been a far worse situation in coastal waters (though i would be sailing a small open boat in salt water in those conditions). --Wade