Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Boat building clothes???

It was only a matter of time, I guess. LL Bean 2006 Spring catalog has boatbuilder shirts, p19; boatbuilder pants, p 23; and boatbuilder Jacket, p 58.

No I don't work for them and no I'm not trolling, just thought it was somewhat humerous. Are boatbuilders finally getting some mainstream recognition?

It was only a matter of time, I guess. LL Bean 2006 Spring catalog has boatbuilder shirts, p19; boatbuilder pants, p 23; and boatbuilder Jacket, p 58.

No I don't work for them and no I'm not trolling, just thought it was somewhat humerous. Are boatbuilders finally getting some mainstream recognition?

I have a whole closet full of boatbuilder's shirts. At the end there is a small group of other shirts that my says she'll kill me if I get epoxy on them.... If they would make the double knees on those pants big enough and open on top so that you could stick a pad of really dense foam inside, I might actually buy a pair.

I have a whole closet full of boatbuilder's shirts. At the end there is a small group of other shirts that my says she'll kill me if I get epoxy on them.... If they would make the double knees on those pants big enough and open on top so that you could stick a pad of really dense foam inside, I might actually buy a pair.

Maine's rich history of boat-building spans nearly four hundred years and continues to this day. We sought the input of expert craftsmen to help us design a rugged shirt as appropriate for the rough conditions of their workshops as it is for everyday wear. Their request make sure it's functional and built to last without sacrificing comfort was the inspiration for this unique work shirt. We made it of durable, abrasion-resistant cotton canvas that starts off soft and just gets better with age, and then added gusseted armholes for freedom of movement and comfort. Specially designed pockets provide secure places to hold tools and other items. Imported. Machine wash and dry.

Maine's rich history of boat-building spans nearly four hundred years and continues to this day. We sought the input of expert craftsmen to help us design a rugged shirt as appropriate for the rough conditions of their workshops as it is for everyday wear. Their request make sure it's functional and built to last without sacrificing comfort was the inspiration for this unique work shirt. We made it of durable, abrasion-resistant cotton canvas that starts off soft and just gets better with age, and then added gusseted armholes for freedom of movement and comfort. Specially designed pockets provide secure places to hold tools and other items. Imported. Machine wash and dry.

rediculous. what demands does a boatbuilder put on his cloathes that say a house carpenter might not? theres plenty of "work wear" out there thats sure to be bettter made than the imported LLbean stuff and without the added cost of "boatbuilder' in the name.

rediculous. what demands does a boatbuilder put on his cloathes that say a house carpenter might not? theres plenty of "work wear" out there thats sure to be bettter made than the imported LLbean stuff and without the added cost of "boatbuilder' in the name.

One day I ran out of grubbies and was forced to choose my next epoxy clothes from my good stuff. At that point I went out to Sears and bought a half dozen sets of work uniforms- even embroidered the name of the boatshop. Now I have a business- and these uniforms are a legitimate business expense. Makes me feel a little less guilty when I finally chuck them out. And I think it looks sharp.

One day I ran out of grubbies and was forced to choose my next epoxy clothes from my good stuff. At that point I went out to Sears and bought a half dozen sets of work uniforms- even embroidered the name of the boatshop. Now I have a business- and these uniforms are a legitimate business expense. Makes me feel a little less guilty when I finally chuck them out. And I think it looks sharp.

Although the "boatbuilder's shirt" is ridiculous - WAY too fancy for the shop, no epoxy drips or paint splatters, and probably too expensive for a real boatbuilder - the catalog does have a couple of pictures of a very nice wooden peapod.

[ 01-25-2006, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Keith Wilson ]

Although the "boatbuilder's shirt" is ridiculous - WAY too fancy for the shop, no epoxy drips or paint splatters, and probably too expensive for a real boatbuilder - the catalog does have a couple of pictures of a very nice wooden peapod.

Carhart overalls work real good for me for most work. When your done for the night just take them off and hang them in the shop, if your not too much of a slob you can get away with washing them once a month or so.

Cheap throw away tyvek suits and duct tape for epoxy and glass sanding..

Carhart overalls work real good for me for most work. When your done for the night just take them off and hang them in the shop, if your not too much of a slob you can get away with washing them once a month or so.

Best work clothes I've come across are a pair of BDU (or in this case DCU) pants and an old T-shirt.

Chad

Best work clothes I've come across are a pair of BDU (or in this case DCU) pants and an old T-shirt.

Chad

Chad

Trendy, trendy, trendy....

"Er, you're SURE Ralph Stanley got his start this way?"

I'll take a Bud McIntosh Autograph Model in Large, please.....

_H

_H

_H

What's bad is when you're just out shopping and you look for things that won't show epoxy ...

What's bad is when you're just out shopping and you look for things that won't show epoxy ...

Someone tell Chad he'll need to do a little more work before the bottom paint goes on.

Does anyone remember commenting on the WBM ad with for the deck shoes, where the guy has a tool in his hand, but there is no shavings... First thing I thought of when it came to "boatbuilding clothes"

Altho I do like LL Bean. Great duds.

Someone tell Chad he'll need to do a little more work before the bottom paint goes on.

Does anyone remember commenting on the WBM ad with for the deck shoes, where the guy has a tool in his hand, but there is no shavings... First thing I thought of when it came to "boatbuilding clothes"

Boat building clothes, how cool ... "he might be a boat builder, I can tell by his clothes" ... but there is no question if one is a painter.

Warren.

Boat building clothes, how cool ... "he might be a boat builder, I can tell by his clothes" ... but there is no question if one is a painter.

Warren.

Warren.

probably very similar to the fabrics that I look for that won't show dog slobber and eye boogers

probably very similar to the fabrics that I look for that won't show dog slobber and eye boogers

I haunt Goodwill, Hospice Thrift Shop and Salvation Army for my work clothes. Epoxy is an equal oportunity splatterer of my clothes. When my closet is jammed with clean but crapped up pants, I discard the crappiest and move down the line.

I haunt Goodwill, Hospice Thrift Shop and Salvation Army for my work clothes. Epoxy is an equal oportunity splatterer of my clothes. When my closet is jammed with clean but crapped up pants, I discard the crappiest and move down the line.

"Specially designed pockets"

I hope the openings are always up.

A pair of pants as durable and reliable as the rugged wooden boats built by Maine's skilled craftsmen. We designed them to be tough enough for the demands of a boatbuilder's workshop and comfortable enough for everyday wear. Made of rugged traditional cotton canvas. Thoughtful features include innovative thread rivets, double-knee construction and tough double-needle stitching. Canvas fabric 10.5 oz. Imported. Machine wash and dry.

A pair of pants as durable and reliable as the rugged wooden boats built by Maine's skilled craftsmen. We designed them to be tough enough for the demands of a boatbuilder's workshop and comfortable enough for everyday wear. Made of rugged traditional cotton canvas. Thoughtful features include innovative thread rivets, double-knee construction and tough double-needle stitching. Canvas fabric 10.5 oz. Imported. Machine wash and dry.

A boatbuilder's shop on the coast of Maine can be a drafty, chilly place. To stay warm and comfortable, these skilled craftsmen need a rugged jacket built for a hard day's work and ease of movement. This workingman's jacket is made of tough 10.4 oz. cotton canvas, woven from two-ply yarns for an exceptionally strong, smooth fabric. Enzyme-washed for a broken-in, weathered appearance. Four front pockets, two inside pockets, a back pouch pocket and a hammer loop provide plenty of storage for tools or gear. Interior pocket is a secure spot to keep your cell phone. Comfortable, relaxed fit. Imported. Machine wash and dry.

A boatbuilder's shop on the coast of Maine can be a drafty, chilly place. To stay warm and comfortable, these skilled craftsmen need a rugged jacket built for a hard day's work and ease of movement. This workingman's jacket is made of tough 10.4 oz. cotton canvas, woven from two-ply yarns for an exceptionally strong, smooth fabric. Enzyme-washed for a broken-in, weathered appearance. Four front pockets, two inside pockets, a back pouch pocket and a hammer loop provide plenty of storage for tools or gear. Interior pocket is a secure spot to keep your cell phone. Comfortable, relaxed fit. Imported. Machine wash and dry.