Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Thread: SCAMP New Build

Default Re: SCAMP New Build

Quote Originally Posted by Christine DeMerchant View Post
    I posted this image on my facebook page and Simeon Baldwin suggested building up the edges of mast ramp to allow for a boot to sit on the opening to stop rain from coming in. He suggested 3/4 on an inch to allow for snap fittings to be installed.

That seems like a very good idea. Any reason why this would not be advisable?

It all depends on where the rain winds up. If on the cockpit floor, I don't see how it really matters. If down into an otherwise dry bilge, then the mast boot might be worth it.
    -Dave

Looking great! Regarding the scamp ramp, I've built one into my sweet pea as an 'improvement', it stands clear of the deck and I've glued a doubler about 2 cm's high around the top. I'm planning to make a canvas boot to seal around the mast, with a drawstring that can be tightened around the ramp box so water running down the mast is kept out.

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    Looking great! Regarding the scamp ramp, I've built one into my sweet pea as an 'improvement', it stands clear of the deck and I've glued a doubler about 2 cm's high around the top. I'm planning to make a canvas boot to seal around the mast, with a drawstring that can be tightened around the ramp box so water running down the mast is kept out.
    It seems like a great idea. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Great work. I've been building mine for nearly 5 1/2 years. You've nearly caught me. I'd better get back onto mine soon and get her wet.

Sent from a phone.
    Hi Bruce. I think you are quite a bit ahead of me. I still have a tremendous amount of finishing to do. Still I'm hoping to be sailing her this summer.

I prepared the extensions for the mast case. I tried them on for size and realized I did not like the look of it. I think I will live with a bit of water coming in when it rains. If it's a problem then I can easily modify the case.

Prepared the glass and cut the opening for the mast case.

Epoxy went on with no problems, except a few lumps in the resin. It's crystallizing because of the cold shop. I've brought it in and will soak it in warm water for a few hours. That should fix the resin.

Glass draped nicely around the corners. I taped the sides to put a bit of tension to get the cloth to stick to the sides better. Worked well.

Trimmed the edges while the epoxy was still slightly flexible. It's too soft to sand. I guess that's the roof done.

Yes! Looks great! That is one serious amount of camber on that cabin top.
    Do you think you'll launch this summer? I guess the rig will take time...

Cheers!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

I'm hoping to launch this spring. Water is really cold till June so I have a couple of months.
    I have the mast mostly made so I only have the spars to construct.
    I also have to make the doors for the big locker under the roof.
    Other than that it's all about finishing.

I'm planning to turn this week. The bottom should be fairly fast to epoxy and glass. Then there are the skegs. Then .... sigh!!!

The rig will take some time but maybe not too much. I'm not planning to change anything from the plan.

Lots of work
    Christine
    Last edited by Christine DeMerchant; 03-13-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Hi Christine, your build is looking great! Regarding the boot, I had originally thought I would need something to divert rain water, but after using, the water just runs onto the floor and around the edges back to the drain. Even when I am sleeping I stay dry as long as I stay out of the little edge drains.

Marty

What kind of outside drains have you got? Or do you just use a bucket or sponge? I still have not made any outside holes to drain the scamp. I expect it is quite a dry boat so maybe it is not necessary. There are the the little channels on either side of the floor and the collection area in the stern, is that enough?
    I read some threads where the venturi drains were not very effective so I don't think I'll go that way.

Yes I have read that the Venturi bailers do not work as well. I installed a Super Sucker (Brand) bailer in the port sump. It is designed to work at low speeds and works great for me. I capped the starboard sump as all it was doing was collecting dirt...... It is a dry boat but I like having the bailer for when it is raining or I spill water while filling the tank.... In addition, if I open the bailer the cockpit will drain even at anchor, docked... and I don't have to worry about the boat filling with water. The catch is that the Super Sucker bailers are quite expensive. I believe I paid close to $200 for mine which is why I only have one. Initially I was just testing and planned to instal a second if it worked but found I really only need one.

Would you have a photo of how you have it in?
    I would be very interested in seeing this.
    Christine

Time to turn the boat over. A bit tricky. My ceiling is not supposed to carry much weight so I built a quick (ish) frame. I had lots of ratchet straps and I used 4. Overkill but I thought I might have to gradually lower the boat by myself and many straps make it easy.

In the end I managed to get help and the turning went very fast with all the preparation I had done. I posted a youtube video of the process.

https://youtu.be/52S4M68plMo

Now I have to finish the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine DeMerchant View Post
    Time to turn the boat over. A bit tricky. My ceiling is not supposed to carry much weight so I built a quick (ish) frame. I had lots of ratchet straps and I used 4. Overkill but I thought I might have to gradually lower the boat by myself and many straps make it easy.

In the end I managed to get help and the turning went very fast with all the preparation I had done. I posted a youtube video of the process.

https://youtu.be/52S4M68plMo

Now I have to finish the outside.

Nicely done. I'm not sure if you've done it, but at that stage I put a support under the mast trunk as well as the trestles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Nice work.
    -Dave

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Congratulations on turning the boat over!
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

You do such nice work. I always look forward to your update. Fun to watch the flip folks at work.

It takes a better writer than I to make sanding interesting!!
    I've been scraping drips and sanding and cleaning up the bottom of the hull in order to glass it.

I'm amazed at how well this fancy little scraper works. Razor sharp carbide blades made in Germany.

The centreboard area needs some trimming and a bit of filling. did I mention sanding?

I also had to fill the area between the bottom and the first plank. It was not badly glued but I had worked mostly by touch when I attached the first plank. The inside has fillets and glass tape. The outside had not been touched since I had put the planks on.

The front in particular, needed some filling.
    I had already glassed in the bow panel.

I rounded the front and did not like the look of it. The radius was too much and it looked odd besides the smaller radius I had used on the bow panel. So I filled it again and re rounded the front.

I put a radius around the bottom. The tricky part was to get an even curve on 2 surfaces that change angles. Eventually it was GOOD ENOUGH.
    Last edited by Christine DeMerchant; 04-08-2018 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Appaling grammar

I put a small radius around the centreboard case and touched up various spots, (and sanded the touch ups of course.)

I also put a small radius around the transom to allow the glass to go around. After a good clean up, vacuum, brush, tack cloth, I was ready to glass.

The widest distance around the first planks and the bottom is unfortunately wider than the glass so I decided to do the sides, with overlaps over the bottom and then glass the bottom separately. This means some extra finishing and fairing but I prefer that to having a bare spot. I also considered making a seam along the length of the bottom but the glass I had was from 2 different orders and I was suspicious that they might be different.

No photo but I trimmed the glass to curve along the bottom of the first plank.

Glassing went fine. I let the glass set for a couple of days because I wanted to sand the seam smooth. I took the cats to the vet and a great time was had by all.

I cleaned up the edge of the glass and sanded the area smooth.

I rough cut the glass then went back and took a bit more off. The glass is softer and quite different feeling from the rest of the glass I have used.

I mixed the resin in smallish batches. This glass is more difficult to wet out so smaller batches work better. I did the transom first and moved towards the centreboard case. I had meant to cover the filling hole for the water ballast tank before glassing. I might have some clean up to do there. Not much I can do now.

The hull is done. I have put a third layer on the very front of the bottom. This is the spot that will touch first if I beach her.

After a few minutes some small creases started appearing lengthwise. I increased the contrast in the photo so they would show up better. There was no tension in the cloth and it was smooth when I applied it. It's almost as though the cloth had expanded in one direction. I went back later and managed to push them down just a bit before the resin solidified completely. The cloth is well covered in resin and not floating. I guess if it's a problem I can add another layer of glass on top after sanding of course. I might be able to fair it and avoid having to re glass.
    I had no trouble with the sides using different cloth but the same resin.
    It's the first time I've had trouble with defective glass. I still have a bit, I'll run some tests to see what happened. Anyone else have this problem?

"I'm amazed at how well this fancy little scraper works. Razor sharp carbide blades made in Germany. "
    Sounds like something I need.
    What brand name is on the scraper? Where did you acquire it?

Randy

Hi Randy, Funny you should ask. I wrote a page on the new scraper, I was so pleased with it. It comes from Amazon, I have a link.

https://www.christinedemerchant.com/scraper.html

I thought it was a bit pricey but after using it I could not imagine not having one. I'm keeping the used blades and will try sharpening them later.

Hi, Christine --

That joint between the two bottom panels where they come together at the bow between the bottom panel and the bow transom is the same as on my dinghy build. I too had to think about what to do with it (Yours is much neater than mine) -- and what I did was to cut a 1/4" square piece of hardwood (leftover gunwale stock) the length of the seam, and epoxied that into the gap. Sand it fair and then tape and epoxy over that. Gave the dinghy a bit of a hard nose.
    "The future is already here it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

I think that would have been a more elegant solution. There is something that rebels against big chunks of epoxy. My gap was already mostly filled with epoxy from the assembly and I just continued with it. In hindsight wood would have been more satisfying.

I was a bit worried about the small ridges in the cloth but they were more visual that anything. I put a layer of microsphere thickened epoxy and the problem disappeared.

Lots of sanding but the surfaces are quite smooth now. What is taking a long time is getting a nice smooth fillet between the strakes.

I think I've just about reached a point where no matter how much I sand and finish the fillets they are not improving. It's just the skill level I'm at.

I've ordered the paint and it will be here this week. I decided to go for a one part polyurethane. I considered 2 part paint but I did not like the fact that once mixed the paint must be used up. It's quite toxic as well. There is a nicer colour range in 1 part paint too.

It took me almost 3 weeks to get to this point from turning it over. I was bitten by an unknown cat and had to get rabies prevention treatment. If you're interested I wrote about it. https://www.christinedemerchant.com/rabies-scare.html While this was going on my heart was not into sanding. It doesn't take much to get me off sanding!

In between sanding sessions while filler was setting, I made my tiller.
    I had bought a lovely piece of black walnut when I visited my local lumber guy. Simeon Baldwin had sent me a copy of the pattern he had used. I drafted it but added a bit of a longer end through the rudder and a bulge at the handle.

I glued the pattern on and cut it out on the bandsaw. I'm not planning to sculpt it very finely. If I don't like the look of it I can modify it later.

I used a spokeshave and a router, then the sander with 60 grit, to shape the tiller. I'd never worked with black walnut before.

It finally was "good enough" so I put a first coat of varnish.

I'm using Epiphane varnish. It's really nice to put on and the wood just popped. Now I have 5-6 more layers to put on.

The SCAMP has 2 skegs on the bottom so that was the next step. I went to the big box store and got a nice 2x12 board. Spruce.

Made a pattern from the hull. I could have used the cradle for the pattern but I had dismantled it and I was too lazy to put it back together.

The pattern is a bit "put together patchwork style" but I did not have a wide enough board or plywood so I used what I had around.

After drafting the skeg on paper I cut 2 copies and used them to lay out the skegs. I had to cut the board using my jig saw because the wood was too heavy and awkward to use the bandsaw. To make a long story short I screwed up and the jig saw cut was not square. I think 1 1/2 inches thick is a bit tricky on a jig saw. Worse still the wood actually warped overnight so I decided to use plywood and start over.

Starting over with the plywood I just laid my pattern and made one good skeg piece.

I used the router with a flush cut bit to cut out 3 more copies. I had used the jig saw to rough cut the pieces. It's easier to use the router to refine the edges than to cut through big panels of wood.

I had used screws to keep the pieces aligned when I cut them and I used the same screw holes to align the pieces while gluing. It worked fabulously well.

The next day I put the 2 skegs together and gave them a quick sand and rounded the edges slightly so I could glass the surfaces.

I had bought some aluminium strips to cove the bottom of the skegs and I took some time to shape them before gluing the skegs on. Metal fabricating is not my strong point.

I made a bunch of punches and shapes to clamp the metal and bend it. Sadly the metal did it's best to bounce back only slightly bent.

I eventually made all kinds of forms and using my clamps, eventually got the metal shoes to fit more or less.

I'm planning to countersink the screws and use 3M 4200 to seat and glue down the shoe. Next, glassing the skegs and gluing them onto the hull.

I've already marked where they are to go. My trailer has 2 long boards so the Scamp has to fit around these boards.

I made a plywood pattern and used a pattern set up in the router to cut the hand-hold in the skegs before gluing them on. The SCAMP is so wide that it might be hard to grab the edge or even the centreboard if capsized. Having a hand-hold on the skeg can be useful. Hopefully I will never have to test this except in the test capsize.

Sorry about the extra image, I can't figure out how to delete it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Christine DeMerchant; 05-10-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: extra image

I glassed and smoothed out the skegs before gluing them. I did not glass the inside of the hand-holds. I see the glass more as protection for the surface than for strength.

It took me a long time to decide exactly where to put the skegs. Finally I measured the trailer and went as close to the opening of the centreboard as I could. It will be about an inch. Enough for fillets and for a plastic guard if I decide to put one in.
    I did not glue the skegs at the same time but rather let one set, then did the other. It's easier to control the positioning and the sliding around.

Finally I made some fillets.

I ordered and eventually got these very pretty bronze pintles and gudgeons. The legs were not very straight and I was worried that the metal would be brittle. I had seen bronze pieces just break while someone was trying to straighten a piece. It seems that the metal, called gun metal alloy, is malleable and could be bent.

I straightened the legs easily once I was confident that it was safe.

I was very lucky that the width of the rudder box is just a millimetrelarger than the hardware. It would allow me to make shallow grooves in the case. This will mask the fact that the legs of the pintles/gudgeons are quite rounded. It will also allow some bedding compound in there.

I had to remove a layer of glass and one thickness of veneer. It was easy with a chisel. I could have used a router. I also rounded the corner so the pintle / gudgeon would fit more closely.

I will wait till the transom is right side up to install the boat parts. I will also wait to drill the bolt holes. There is a little bit of wiggle in the set up and that will deal very nicely with the uneaven fittings and the lining up of the pintles/gudgeons.

Started making the spars. There is a boom and a yard.

Getting suitable lumber is tricky. I have access to a very fine lumberyard but it's quite far and expensive, and delivery for long pieces is a lot.

I checked out the local shops for nice 2x lumber but it was not a success. This is construction season and most of the wood is either very wet, or has lots of knots. It is also likely to warp as you watch it. Fine if you plan to nail it down next day but not so good for spars.

I eventually settled on clear pine. Not as strong as I would like but the grain was good and I could get long pieces.

I plan to laminate to get thickness.

I cut the boom pieces and glued them. The wood absorbed quite a lot of epoxy. On the left side of the images are the pieces I'm planning to use for the yard. I'll put them together using birdmouth construction. I had to splice a few pieces.

There is a bevel on the spar so I marked it on along with the length and cut it using sander and block plane.

After rounding the edges and putting a layer of epoxy I remembered that I wanted to drill a hole at each end so I'll do this before varnishing.
    The boom is much firmer now that it's glued up and epoxied. There is some bend too. I think it will work just fine. I had added a couple of millimetres to the dimensions to compensate for the weaker wood.

Bump.

Any news? I'm loving your work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book