Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: SCAMP New Build

Default SCAMP New Build

I finally gave in and started a new boat. A John Welsford SCAMP.

I've been a little timid going out solo in my Tanzer 22. Lake Erie is a sneaky lake and it comes up in just a few minutes and gets pretty fierce in my Tanzer. The boat has no trouble but I do, getting the sails down and bringing her onto her mooring is tricky.

I'm thinking that for a doddery old lady, a sturdy, easily sailed little Scamp is just the thing.

Mostly though I like it.

I spent a happy January cutting a lot of plywood parts. I'm building from plan.

I've just started on the centreboard gluing up the blank and I have all the mast staves milled and cut for the birdsmouth mast.

Soon I'm going to have to start putting some of this together.

Default Re: SCAMP New Build

Cool, we can't possibly have too many Scamps on the water.
    -Dave

PIECES, PIECES & MORE PIECES

little flat ones, large flat ones, long skinny ones...

ONE LARGE PUZZLE, during assembly & when finished will provide many smiles and great satisfaction

WTG, G

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

SCAMP is a great little boat and good on you for working from plans only. It takes a little more fortitude to do it that way but very rewarding.

I've been thinking about one of those too. Keep the photos coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave B

Well done Christine, youre at least over the starting hurdle. All power to your building adventure. I have the plans for SCAMP somewhere so will be following this thread
    A

There was a period of just staring at the plans and manual. I cleaned the shop, sharpened the tools and just puttered around before starting. Cutting out the pieces was useful because it gave me a good sense of what goes where.
    CD

Hi Christine, welcome to the SCAMP Family, you are looking good so far, keep it up.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Christine, I have enjoyed your website, and based on what I've read there, I'm sure this project will turn out well for you. Are the rest of you familiar with http://www.christinedemerchant.com ?

Following your build,
    George

Christine's website is fun and informative. Do check it out. This is going to be a fun thread.

Welcome and enjoy the build.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

I spent the last few days preparing and glueing up the SCAMP mast. After getting the staves ready, preparing the core pieces and tapering the staves I spent a harrowing couple of hours glueing the mast up. I had a close call because the epoxy was setting off towards the end. Turned out OK but not perfect.

I've spent a pleasant day listening to Ella Fitzgerald while rounding the mast. I'm mostly done the rough sanding.

Nasty cold weather. I finally got out to the shop and put a couple of layers of epoxy on the mast. I think I need a third thin coat then I'll then start with the varnish. I'll put a bit of stain to even out the mast colour and disguise the many joints.

The centreboard is marked up and I made a template for the edges. I'm ready to start shaping it.
    In the central part there is a flat area where I will be putting some lead.

Started to shape the centreboard today. I roughed in the trailing edge using a router and smoothed the steps with a plane and finished with the sander. Tomorrow I'll do the leading edge.
    I still have to do the transition and the bottom.

I used the router to shape a fence that was the same shape as the blank so the router lines are parallel to the edge.

Nice job on the centreboard Christine, if thats your standard I can't wait to see the rest.

Lots of good work there Christine.

Great little boat.

My standard is middling to fair. I get bored with finishing so things are never perfect. I really admire people who can do a perfect mirror finish on their boat. I'm in too much of a hurry to get on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine DeMerchant View Post
    My standard is middling to fair. I get bored with finishing so things are never perfect. I really admire people who can do a perfect mirror finish on their boat. I'm in too much of a hurry to get on the water.
    I totally thoroughly completely agree with that and doesn't the pox and power tools fit in with that work ethic!!!!

Looking good, Christine! A very nice start, looking forward to following along

Cheers from the west coast...
    Dale

Great work Christine. I've been building a SCAMP slowly for several years now. It's a fun build.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I finished shaping the centreboard. The leading edge was much trickier than the trailing edge but it's done.

I did not do much shaping on the bottom edge. From what I can figure out there is no real reason to shape the bottom other than give it a slight radius.

Does anyone know better?

My Tanzer got a new rudder and it was almost blunt at the bottom and it performed really well, so it can't be too bad to have a blunt bottom? The centreboard is likely to run aground occasionally so a strong bottom is an advantage I would think.

BEAUTIFUL WORK!

just a ponderment and please understand i don't know squat about SCAMPS ...

some high end canoe paddles have epoxy tips to prevent damage when using as a push pole

what about cutting a relief in the tip & re-building it w/ thickened epoxy to take the grounding w/o damage to the plywood ?

like i said, just a ponderment

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I finished shaping the centreboard. The leading edge was much trickier than the trailing edge but it's done.

I did not do much shaping on the bottom edge. From what I can figure out there is no real reason to shape the bottom other than give it a slight radius.

Does anyone know better?
    Mine is the CNC kit from Small Craft Advisor/Turnpoint Design, photo below (before any sanding). The bottom edge is blunt, and only received enough rounding to ensure the glass cloth would conform.

lead ingots cast to go in foils by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Another shot, with glass being applied:

centreboard glassed, trimmed excess cloth while still green by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by dsimonson View Post
    Another shot, with glass being applied:

centreboard glassed, trimmed excess cloth while still green by Dale Simonson, on Flickr
    Dale: When I followed your Flickr link to the Gartside daysailer, I was delighted to find that she had been built by Michel. He helped build our MAGIC at Jespersen's and has remained a close friend. We spoke with him by phone the other evening and will be visiting with he and France aboard La Rose in a few weeks. He has been retired for about 4 years now. Just a minor correction on his history: The whole family had to scramble ashore when their ketch went ashore that dark night on the island off the Panamanian coast. All are well and M&F are grandparents. Cheers,

My apologies for drifting Christine's thread. My bad.

Craig and Vicky Johnsen
    Last edited by MAGIC's Craig; 02-20-2016 at 09:03 PM. Reason: apology due.

Hi Steve, I think I will opt for a variation of this and put a couple of layers of glass on the bottom part.

Do you know what the radius of the bottom edge is. I've put about a quarter inch or maybe a hair more, just enough to allow the glass to come around.
    I believe the kit is a true NACA foil. The plans allow for both the modified and the true but with extra glass to allow for the reduced material.
    I chose the modified naca since it is easier to work on a foil that has a good flat spot and I don't really care about any improved performance.

Christine, it's really well hidden inside a case right now, so I can't measure it for you! I used a 1/8" round-over bit in a router around the edges of the top (6 oz Eglass wrapped that radius just fine), but did the foil by hand. It wouldn't have been much more rounded than that, perhaps as much as a quarter inch. And, I've watched and chatted with many "Scamp Camp" builders as their boats come together (mine is from Camp 1), and the bottom edges on their boards all look something similar.

Performance-wise, I suspect you're on track... We've had quite a few opportunities to compare our boats against each other in the Port Townsend area (a 3-hour drive for me, but worth every minute!), and no matter which boat he's in, John Welsford is always the fastest. Some are loaded with hundreds of pounds of water, food and camp-cruising supplies, some are completely bare, and the deciding factor is always sail trim and helm, which way you go and reading the wind and current always trumps everything else!

Quote Originally Posted by MAGIC's Craig View Post
    Dale: When I followed your Flickr link to the Gartside daysailer, I was delighted to find that she had been built by Michel. He helped build our MAGIC at Jespersen's and has remained a close friend. We spoke with him by phone the other evening and will be visiting with he and France aboard La Rose in a few weeks. He has been retired for about 4 years now. Just a minor correction on his history: The whole family had to scramble ashore when their ketch went ashore that dark night on the island off the Panamanian coast. All are well and M&F are grandparents. Cheers,

My apologies for drifting Christine's thread. My bad.

Craig and Vicky Johnsen
    Craig, good to hear from you. I'm barely acquainted (only through the purchase of the boat) but my Dad got to know him and visited them on La Rose a few times. I imagine his last project at Jesperson's was forumite Dave Lesser's La Vie en Rose... now that's a real Gartside!! Thanks for the update, and correction!

Sorry Christine, back to scamps...

Christine, can I suggest that you round that with quite a big radius, there is a theoretical advantage when sailing with the board partly up.
    On my own centerboards I make a tenon shape and fit a piece of hardwood across the end of the board. It means that any damage tends not to get far enough in to let water into the plywood endgrain.

John Welsford

Does anyone know better?

My Tanzer got a new rudder and it was almost blunt at the bottom and it performed really well, so it can't be too bad to have a blunt bottom? The centreboard is likely to run aground occasionally so a strong bottom is an advantage I would think.

An expert is but a beginner with experience.

I modified the shape of the bottom as suggested. I don't dare make the bottom too fine because there is a good chance it will touch bottom. I'll add extra cloth on the bottom to beef it up some.

Life got in the way of boat building but I started getting some weight in the centreboard.
    I had a bit of trouble locating lead, or iron so I gathered up weights, and bits of tire lead and glued it all together. It's actually almost solid metal except for the top layer.

Used the router to make a cavity and will put the weight inside. It took longer than I expected.

I took several gradual layers off but this plywood is hard. By the end my bit was getting quite dull. I'll have to figure out how to sharpen it. I had to leave little tabs because my router base is narrower than the cavity and I was too lazy to make a custom larger one. The little tabs came off with the chisel.

Cavity is ready, weights are ready but the weather is cold so I have to heat up the shop before I can glue in the weight.

This is a superb thread.

Got my new epoxy (I'm using East System epoxy. It's made in Canada and is a much better price than the other epoxies I can get.) I'll report on how it works after I've had a chance to really test it out. I have nothing bad to report so far. It is a bit thinner than MAS or West.

I glued in my odd assortment of weights and washers. No real issues to report.

I put a layer of cloth at the bottom over a wood flour thickened layer to fill in various small dings I had made with the router. Not a bad thing really because the dings will help anchor the weights in. It also seated the weights. My weight plug was only slightly glued together and a piece broke, not really a problem, it fit right back in. A black ankle weight is visible under the washers and this is mainly what I used.

I used epoxy mixed with sand to fill in the irregularities mostly at the top. Under the washers is quite solid weights. The sand mixture flowed in well enough. I couldn't think of a reason why sand would not work. It's the heaviest filler I have.

I now have to fair the cavity and the board can get some glass.

I've been working on the centreboard. It took a bit of work to fair the weight hole and get it flat and perfect for glassing but this is done now.
    So far the board weights in at 40 pounds. A bit more than I was expecting but not a bad thing once it's together. I'm using heavier ply than the kits I think.

The glassing was a bit tricky to figure out because I was not confident I could handle the weight suspended on nails so I could glass both sides at once as I had planned.

I decided to do each side separately and stretched the glass and taped it on the underside.

It was quite easy to epoxy this way and no question of dropping it or nails bending or falling out. I'll trim the underside before it has hardened to get a smooth edge.

I'm using East epoxy and it's been very nice to work with so far. No blushing at all either.

After the photo I added some epoxy to fill the weave a bit better but everything is wet out and no major bubbles.