Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: SCAMP New Build

Default Re: SCAMP New Build

Centerboard's a work of art. Love the sand/epoxy filler idea, though I bet it was hard to sand (unavoidable pun not intended)

Heat doesn't transfer all that quick through stainless but the soldering iron will work every time. When I had a bunch of screws to remove from epoxying down the plywood decks, I just held the soldering iron on one head while unscrewing the one I just heated, which seemed to be the right amount of time. That way I didn't have any contaminants when I filled in the screw holes with additional epoxy.

I've been sanding under the side decks so nothing much to photograph. I tried to clean up and finish the epoxy fillet but I only managed to fill a few spot. Nothing is very smooth. I think I have reached the "good enough" spot. It cannot be seen unless you use mirrors and it's smooth enough not to snag stuff.
    Time to prepare and glue in the side fence. It's harder to do than I expected because it has to be inserted bent and I had it boinginga few times before getting it in position for a dry run. Had to trim a little at the front of the piece.
    Put in lots of glue and re inserted the fence. At that point it was a simple job to gradually finalize the position and clamp the part in place.

Shop has been quite cold and it takes a long time to warm up enough to epoxy. We've had a thaw so I could epoxy.

I went around and cleaned up the squeezed out epoxy. A substantial and hopefully beautiful highly visible fillet goes in along the edge.
    There is a little gap at the very front that gets a triangular filler piece and the whole length will have a piece of wood on the edge, a gunnel maybe. I don't know what to call it.
    The starboard side is also ready to be glued.

Glassing the side deck is optional, any suggestions?

In the meantime I've been pre-bending the transom cap. It's been so cold nothing wants to bend. I add an extra piece of wood every few days to bend it more and get it close to the transom arc. I would prefer not to have too much tension on the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine DeMerchant View Post
    I've been sanding under the side decks so nothing much to photograph. I tried to clean up and finish the epoxy fillet but I only managed to fill a few spot. Nothing is very smooth. I think I have reached the "good enough" spot. It cannot be seen unless you use mirrors and it's smooth enough not to snag stuff.
    Time to prepare and glue in the side fence. It's harder to do than I expected because it has to be inserted bent and I had it boinginga few times before getting it in position for a dry run. Had to trim a little at the front of the piece.
    Put in lots of glue and re inserted the fence. At that point it was a simple job to gradually finalize the position and clamp the part in place.

Shop has been quite cold and it takes a long time to warm up enough to epoxy. We've had a thaw so I could epoxy.

I went around and cleaned up the squeezed out epoxy. A substantial and hopefully beautiful highly visible fillet goes in along the edge.
    There is a little gap at the very front that gets a triangular filler piece and the whole length will have a piece of wood on the edge, a gunnel maybe. I don't know what to call it.
    The starboard side is also ready to be glued.

Glassing the side deck is optional, any suggestions?

In the meantime I've been pre-bending the transom cap. It's been so cold nothing wants to bend. I add an extra piece of wood every few days to bend it more and get it close to the transom arc. I would prefer not to have too much tension on the cap.
    I can't make out what kind of wood you're using for the transom cap, being that you already have it bent I would not take it off and start soaking it, but you can just wet it down with water and if you have a heat gun warm it up. I've done pretty well with that. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Hi Denise
    It's a very brittle "meranti" ply. Not bad material but stubborn when it comes to bending and quite resistant to wetting. I've tried the heat gun/wet rags but with limited success. I've had it in that set up for a couple of weeks and add another spacer every once in a while. I've also had the clothe iron on it a few times. Right now it's not under a lot of tension so I think it's working.
    Christine

I did not have to sand it because I was REALLY careful not to let it be higher than the edge. It would have been very difficult to sand.