Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I always wondered what happened to Dennis the Menace when he got older...

Wink I always wondered what happened to Dennis the Menace when he got older...

I always wondered what happened to Dennis the Menace when he got older...

Could this be what happened??

I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

Default Re: I always wondered what happened to Dennis the Menace when he got older...

He turned into a failure icon?

Default Re: I always wondered what happened to Dennis the Menace when he got older...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Come on big un, it is only a humorous cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Good one.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Come on big un, it is only a humorous cartoon.
    Uhhh, it's not a VISIBLE cartoon.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Norman, sometimes... you are no fun at all.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Uhhh, it's not a VISIBLE cartoon.
    I thought that it was large enough, are you having trouble seeing it?

And sometimes it doesn't matter.

LMAO

One of my coworkers many years ago knew Dennis and his family. He was a sad kid. He was the subject of a lot of teasing at school because of the strip. Dennis's mother asked his father to give up the strip because of that, and he refused. Family ended in divorce.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    I thought that it was large enough, are you having trouble seeing it?
    Pictures posted from your email do not show up.

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    One of my coworkers many years ago knew Dennis and his family. He was a sad kid. He was the subject of a lot of teasing at school because of the strip. Dennis's mother asked his father to give up the strip because of that, and he refused. Family ended in divorce.
    I had no idea it was based on reality. I know Erma Bombeck's adopted daughter. What a truly hilarious family.

Inspiration for Dennis the Menace[edit]
    Dennis Ketcham is the inspiration for the comic strip Dennis the Menace, created by his father Hank Ketcham.[1] When Ketcham was four years old, he once refused to take a nap and somehow messed up his whole room. Hank tried many possible kid names for the character he was drawing on his desktop in his home at Carmel, and translated them into some his rough pencil sketches, but they seemed unsuitable for the character. Later his studio door flew open and his wife Alice, in utter exasperation, exclaimed, "Your son is a menace!" Thus the "Dennis the Menace" name was used. The "menace" epithet and the image of the tornado stuck. The character of Henry Mitchell bore a striking resemblance to Ketcham himself, who also became a fixture in the strip.[2] The comic strip that was inspired by Ketcham, was carried by 16 newspapers within five months. By May 1953, 193 newspapers in the United States and 52 abroad were carrying the strip to 30 million readers.[3] It is now written and drawn by Ketcham's former assistants, Marcus Hamilton and Ron Ferdinand, and distributed to more than at least 10,000 newspapers in 48 countries and 19 languages by King Features Syndicate [3]

Childhood[edit]

Unlike his cartoon alter ego, Ketcham did not lead a storybook life. He had learning disabilities as a boy. An alcoholic mother and a father with a busy work schedule meant there was little time left for him.[2]
    After his mother filed for divorce in 1959, he was sent to a boarding school . Soon after, his mother died from an accidental drug overdose at age 41. His father remarried to Jo Anne Stevens and moved the family to Geneva, Switzerland.[3]Ketcham had a difficult time in Swiss boarding school, so his father sent him to a boarding school in the United States while Hank and his new wife remained in Europe.[2]

Military service[edit]

After graduating, Ketcham joined the Marine Corps and served in Vietnam. Upon his return, he was treated for post-traumatic stress disorder and drifted from one low-paying job to another. In the late 70's Dennis worked at the old Ohio Penitentiary in Columbus, Ohio. By 1990, he was living in Ohio and estranged from his father. Hank commented on his own marital breakup and his son's loss of privacy, "These things happen, but this was even worse because his name was used. He was brought in unwillingly and unknowingly, and it confused him."[1]

Family[edit]

Meanwhile, Hank Ketcham, now a multi-millionaire, divorced and married the former Rolande Praepost with whom he had two children, Scott and Dania.[3] Hank, who died in 2001, told People in 1993, "I hear from Dennis about once a year, mostly when he needs money."[2] Dennis Ketcham also married, divorced, remarried and is estranged from his daughter.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

I wonder what Snoopy would look like as a very old dog! Or Charlie or, Lucy! She must be a looker!

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    I wonder what Snoopy would look like as a very old dog! Or Charlie or, Lucy! She must be a looker!

Here is Barbie now (allegedly)

Do you think there really is a barbie? My! If you look at the doll and compare the measurements most seem interested in, they are almost impossible for a woman to actually have.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Phillip did the same thing once. He posted a link to something in his email. Of course, none of us could see it.

When I pointed this out to him, he totally freaked out, accused me of hacking into his email, and went crying to Scot to have me banned.

A classic Phillip move: no matter how obvious it is that he made a mistake, his only reaction is blaming and accusing me. It never once has occurred to him that he might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    Phillip did the same thing once. He posted a link to something in his email. Of course, none of us could see it.

When I pointed this out to him, he totally freaked out, accused me of hacking into his email, and went crying to Scot to have me banned.

A classic Phillip move: no matter how obvious it is that he made a mistake, his only reaction is blaming and accusing me. It never once has occurred to him that he might be wrong.
    Where did that come from? PA has not even posted to this thread and he still gets skewered by a bullying gas bag.Don't you have anything better to do???

Quote Originally Posted by cathouse willy View Post
    Where did that come from? PA has not even posted to this thread and he still gets skewered by a bullying gas bag.Don't you have anything better to do???
    Rude dudes they just can't help themselves.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Do you think there really is a barbie? My! If you look at the doll and compare the measurements most seem interested in, they are almost impossible for a woman to actually have.
    Plastic surgery or not perhaps this lady comes close.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/a-r...&NewsCatID=353

With a teeny waist, disproportionately large breasts and wide, icy-blue eyes, 21-year-old Valeria Lukyanova says she is the real natural deal, a real-life Barbie, the ABC news reported.

That’s what she claims anyway. Many are crying foul to her claims of her au natural Mattel-branded looks. Whether she underwent plastic surgery or uses photoshop to carve out that waist remains unclear. On her blog, the model notes that she is the most famous woman on the Russian Internet because of her doll-like appeal. Hundreds of photos on her Facebook page show a wide-eyed, nearly fake-looking Lukyanova posing in a variety of scanty outfits. But with nearly 8,000 subscribers to her Facebook page, it’s unclear whether Lukyanova exists at all, or whether it’s all a hoax thanks to the world of photo editing.

If she is real and does not use photoshop on her photos, she likely underwent a barrage plastic surgery. Dr. Malcolm Roth, president of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, said plastic surgery should never be used to transform oneself into a favorite celebrity or, in this case, a play toy. “We believe evaluating any and all issues that may affect our patients’ well-being, including psychological factors, is part of providing total patient care,” Roth said in a statement. “Additionally, Valeria is also only 21, so certain milestones in growth and physical maturity ought to be considered before plastic surgery is performed. ASPS cautions patients to keep in mind that plastic surgery is real surgery with real risks, just as with any operation, so the decision should not be taken lightly.”

Whether Lukyanova is real or fake, photoshopped or plastic surgery, Diane Levin, professor of education at Wheelock College in Boston, said the mystery of her existence is not the issue. The problem is that her flaunted image epitomizes and exemplifies the issue of objectification of women in today’s society.

Barbiem, the real doll, has been in existance for how many years? Answer that and tell me how long plastic surgery has been in vogue for non medical reasons?.

Barbiem, the real doll, has been in existance for how many years? Answer that and tell me how long plastic surgery has been in vogue for non medical reasons?.
    Barbie the doll made its debut at the American Toy Fair in New York on March 9, 1959. This date is also used as Barbie's official birthday. So she is 56.

Apparently according to this source http://all-that-is-interesting.com/b...smetic-surgery (it may not be a acceptable source for left wing Democrat supporters) plastic surgery is older than Jesus has been in vogue for cosmetic reasons for 2000+ years.

Now you have the answers to your questions, what is the point you are trying to make or establish?

PS Are you unable to access Google on your computer? Please do your own research if you wish additional information.

Not cosmetic surgery unless for repairing damage what a person suffered in an accident or traumatic event. We're talking about breast reduction or enlargement, butt enlargement, enlargement etc. Just to make people feel good about themselves. Unnecessary surgery at the least. Not done much until what, the late '70's, 80's or more recently .(certainly not in 1959 unless you know someone who did) PS it's often referred to "Elective SURGERY rummy!
    Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 01-29-2016 at 03:21 PM.

It seems that a more generously proportioned Barbie is on the way along with several skin colours and heights.
    http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/0...-new-toy-range

"Rude dudes they just can't help themselves."
    There's abit of that about at present, boredom and frustration probably.
    The trick is not to be provoked.

It is!

Not cosmetic surgery unless for repairing damage what a person suffered in an accident or traumatic event. We're talking about breast reduction or enlargement, butt enlargement, enlargement etc. Just to make people feel good about themselves. Unnecessary surgery at the least. Not done much until what, the late '70's, 80's or more recently .(certainly not in 1959 unless you know someone who did) PS it's often referred to "Elective SURGERY rummy!
    So what is the concern/point you are trying to raise?

Quote Originally Posted by cathouse willy View Post
    Sheesh, I merely pointed out that the error Rummy made in post #1 (i.e, linking to an image that is contained in his private email directory) has been made before.

Here's a clue, guys: if you want to post something on the forum so that other people can see it, it can't be a link to a private, password controlled email account. And if you do make that mistake, don't feel the need to blame others.

I don't know, you're the one who brought up Barbie and posted a pic. of a lady that has had tons of plastic, elective, surgery. I also pointed out the Barbie created in 1959, as you say, does not have measurements like most, all women of that period. you used an example of a woman born in the eighties, at best, as an example to prove my post wrong which I suspect you were attempting to do. At best, it was supposed to make your point.

Back on ignore rummy!
    Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 01-29-2016 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Unfortunately i can't upload it as I can't put it into photo bucket as that site is down for maintenance.

In the interim here is a description of the cartoon:

Frame 1 : Drawing of Dennis the Menace with hands out in front of him

Frame 2 : Picture of Donald Trump in a very similar pose.

Yes it is better if you actually can see it

Can you see these two frames?
    Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 01-29-2016 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Nope that try didn't work :) Will try later

Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    Sheesh, I merely pointed out that the error Rummy made in post #1 (i.e, linking to an image that is contained in his private email directory) has been made before.

Here's a clue, guys: if you want to post something on the forum so that other people can see it, it can't be a link to a private, password controlled email account. And if you do make that mistake, don't feel the need to blame others.
    Thanks for pointing that out.

I suspect that, as Photobucket was screaming about tech. problems all day, I'd expect that, as none have been posted recently, the issue must have been fixed.

I don't know, you're the one who brought up Barbie and posted a pic. of a lady that has had tons of plastic, elective, surgery. I also pointed out the Barbie created in 1959, as you say, does not have measurements like most, all women of that period. you used an example of a woman born in the eighties, at best, as an example to prove my post wrong which I suspect you were attempting to do. At best, it was supposed to make your point.

Back on ignore rummy!
    I posted the 'Barbie picture to go along with the theme i.e. "I always wondered what happened to Barbie Dennis the Menace when she got older…"

Then you asked what a couple characters would look like now so I posted somebody that possibly came close. See #18.

You also asked if Barbie really is a Barbie in Post 14.

Wasn't trying to prove anything.

Tried to post the information that you asked for.

Was wondering what your point was once you got the information.

If that was too much to ask and it overloaded your grey matter, please accept my apologies.

Fine, Barbie had nothing to do with Dennis, so go for it. Not worth posting a response here. You like deflection so carry on!

Fine, Barbie had nothing to do with Dennis, so go for it. Not worth posting a response here. You like deflection so carry on!
    In 12 you digressed :

I couldn't find anything on
    Charlie or, Lucy so I posted the Barbie picture.

I'm being sarcastic. Why, because I can see a comic strip and recognize it' for what comics are and know that Dennis or Snoopy are not dolls. Sure, they make dolls AFTER the comic strip appears DUH!This seems to be a problem for ya! Dolls change over time, comic characters never do. Can ya handle that Rummy? There are no comic strips starring Barbie as far as I know!

You have a brain Rummy, use it please!
    Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 01-29-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Gi Joe last fall. Heard he got called to the middle east for a private security outfit.

And in a related story, Ken now can get benefits from his domestic partner and fiancee, active duty sergeant GI Bruce.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 01-29-2016 at 05:37 PM.