Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Penobscot 14 in Canberra Aus

Default Re: Penobscot 14 in Canberra Aus

My thread is back to where it was but there may be one or two photo's out of order.

I hope others go to the effort but I realise my thread is only three pages long and it just took me a couple of hours so I shudder at some of the really large and picture intensive threads.

Funny thing is that I was just about to pay for a piad subscription to Photobocket because the adds were driving me crazy, but thankfully I didn't as the Smugmug site is add free and doesn't cost a great deal for me on the basic subscription.

Now back to what I enjoy - which isn't the computer.

Mark

I managed to get the first coat on the sheer plank, caps, rub rails etc. But it is perhaps a bit cold and the epoxy was thick so I have a few runs to clean up before the next coat.

This is one of my row locks showing how the colors are going to show through. Also showing is the limber hole through to the bottom.

and finally the breasthook

There is still lots of finishing needed to go but I am very happy with my timber choices and how they are starting to clean up.
    If I am lucky the rain will keep going for the rest of the weekend so I can stay in the shed working on the boat rather than in the garden building garden beds.

Mark

Mark and family

She is beautiful, the eye follows her lines in a pleasing saunter. And the cap on the breasthook is WOW!

Thanks for sharing the photos

Kent and Audrey

I have had some time off for the school holidays and thought I would be able to smash out the boat work but alas - sick kids, cold weather, a broken tank pump, broken bore pump, and a beautiful wife telling me it is time to make a garden bed - all conspired against shed work and now I have started to come down with whatever the kids had....just in time to go back to work tomorrow!

This was taken about an hour ago so I am not sure when I will get into the shed today. Since I am up to varnishing I might forget about this morning and just go into town with the wife for a coffee and try this afternoon.

This is the start of the garden bed for the wife so far - funny that I have been bleeding money for the yard and she doesn't mind that but just one order from Classic Boat Supplies and the inquisition starts - but she asks so nicely:

I managed to get the first coat of varnish on the top sides yesterday but it has shown up some flaws even I can't ignore and there is a couple of places where I need to take it back and re-apply. Funny how these areas didn't show up during sanding and now stand out big time. Anyway overall the first coat look great to me and shows how dark my timber choices are. The cream paint will be needed I think to offset this darkness.

In respect to how much effort I am going to put into the final finish...I know the term workboat finish is frowned upon by some on this forum but I am showing this boat warts and all and I am just as proud of where I have had to fix up a mistake as to when something fitted perfectly - the below photo of one of the oar locks is case in point. I chipped a big piece out of it and after retrieving my chisel from across the yard repaired it using one of the West systems colored fillers with my intent all along to not hide the mistake. It is smooth and not structural and I figured that if I tried to hide the error it may have looked like a bad tattoo cover up. Thus I will be more than happy with the two foot standard of finish.

I do like how the transom is coming along - the middle bit will be a Norglass Marine paint and the tint is called American Cream:

This is the first try at Parel Beads. These are made out of West Australian Jarrah and as I have never used a lathe before I am being assisted by an enthusiast from work. I think these may have to be rounded a little more but on the mast they seem to roll quite nicely. These are just finished in a protective furniture wax rather than varnish. I am wondering if for routine maintenance that the wax is the way to go since it can be very easily applied after each outing rather than varnish which is a bigger task for the end of the season.

I would also like to congratulate all those who are resurrecting their posts since the Photobucket controversy. I hope everyone can get back to where we were just a couple of weeks ago. I know in another thread some people were highly critical of how difficult it is to put photo's on this site but I think it is straight forward once you have done it once. Hopefully we just get to steady state and Smugmug stays as easy to use as it currently is.

Mark