Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Penobscot 14 in Canberra Aus

Default Re: Penobscot 14 in Canberra Aus

My thread is back to where it was but there may be one or two photo's out of order.

I hope others go to the effort but I realise my thread is only three pages long and it just took me a couple of hours so I shudder at some of the really large and picture intensive threads.

Funny thing is that I was just about to pay for a piad subscription to Photobocket because the adds were driving me crazy, but thankfully I didn't as the Smugmug site is add free and doesn't cost a great deal for me on the basic subscription.

Now back to what I enjoy - which isn't the computer.

Mark

I managed to get the first coat on the sheer plank, caps, rub rails etc. But it is perhaps a bit cold and the epoxy was thick so I have a few runs to clean up before the next coat.

This is one of my row locks showing how the colors are going to show through. Also showing is the limber hole through to the bottom.

and finally the breasthook

There is still lots of finishing needed to go but I am very happy with my timber choices and how they are starting to clean up.
    If I am lucky the rain will keep going for the rest of the weekend so I can stay in the shed working on the boat rather than in the garden building garden beds.

Mark

Mark and family

She is beautiful, the eye follows her lines in a pleasing saunter. And the cap on the breasthook is WOW!

Thanks for sharing the photos

Kent and Audrey

I have had some time off for the school holidays and thought I would be able to smash out the boat work but alas - sick kids, cold weather, a broken tank pump, broken bore pump, and a beautiful wife telling me it is time to make a garden bed - all conspired against shed work and now I have started to come down with whatever the kids had....just in time to go back to work tomorrow!

This was taken about an hour ago so I am not sure when I will get into the shed today. Since I am up to varnishing I might forget about this morning and just go into town with the wife for a coffee and try this afternoon.

This is the start of the garden bed for the wife so far - funny that I have been bleeding money for the yard and she doesn't mind that but just one order from Classic Boat Supplies and the inquisition starts - but she asks so nicely:

I managed to get the first coat of varnish on the top sides yesterday but it has shown up some flaws even I can't ignore and there is a couple of places where I need to take it back and re-apply. Funny how these areas didn't show up during sanding and now stand out big time. Anyway overall the first coat look great to me and shows how dark my timber choices are. The cream paint will be needed I think to offset this darkness.

In respect to how much effort I am going to put into the final finish...I know the term workboat finish is frowned upon by some on this forum but I am showing this boat warts and all and I am just as proud of where I have had to fix up a mistake as to when something fitted perfectly - the below photo of one of the oar locks is case in point. I chipped a big piece out of it and after retrieving my chisel from across the yard repaired it using one of the West systems colored fillers with my intent all along to not hide the mistake. It is smooth and not structural and I figured that if I tried to hide the error it may have looked like a bad tattoo cover up. Thus I will be more than happy with the two foot standard of finish.

I do like how the transom is coming along - the middle bit will be a Norglass Marine paint and the tint is called American Cream:

This is the first try at Parel Beads. These are made out of West Australian Jarrah and as I have never used a lathe before I am being assisted by an enthusiast from work. I think these may have to be rounded a little more but on the mast they seem to roll quite nicely. These are just finished in a protective furniture wax rather than varnish. I am wondering if for routine maintenance that the wax is the way to go since it can be very easily applied after each outing rather than varnish which is a bigger task for the end of the season.

I would also like to congratulate all those who are resurrecting their posts since the Photobucket controversy. I hope everyone can get back to where we were just a couple of weeks ago. I know in another thread some people were highly critical of how difficult it is to put photo's on this site but I think it is straight forward once you have done it once. Hopefully we just get to steady state and Smugmug stays as easy to use as it currently is.

Mark

Not much has been happening because of a spate of wet and cold weather but I have managed to get some coats of paint on my boat. Unfortunately there are a fair few issues in my finish which I am going to have to address once the paint hardens and I can sand it back in a few spots. The worst was condensation on my shed roof dripping on to the still wet paint over night. Other problems are mainly runs from epoxy I missed until the gloss paint showed them all up to laugh at me.

This photo was as the tape was starting to come off a little while ago. I still have to do more coats on the green hull color:

and the interior - really dusty brightwork sorry. The color was a bit more off white on the color card than it is dry, but my wife said it is fine as it is so I guess it stays:

seats are going to drive me mad I think. All the same batch of wood, all the same type of tree, but distinctly different shades after the first coat of varnish. I'll see how they look once a couple of coats dry but I may ditch the lighter planks and try again, again!

I also started to mount the rudder hardware prior to refinishing the transom. I want a bit more security than the four screws in each fitting as I am sure they could pull out if I hit a submerged item or grounded suddenly. I have a tube of 5200 and was thinking of using that - is it recommended?

Mark

Ahoy Mark

She looks awesome, the colors really pop! Really like the green y'all chose and the bronze bits are great accents.

For your seats, I like seeing the slight differences in the shading, the important thing will be what your Skipper says that she likes. As the Builder you might be too close to this part and could step back a bit, squint at it through one eye and decide that it fits just fine.

As for 5200 on the fittings I think all that would do is peel off the top layer of ply. You might consider screws with acorn nuts. For our boat I was content with wood screws because we will be rowing and sailing in chest deep water most of the time, over a sandy bottom. If something were to knock off the rudder, say like a dolphin or mullet, we could row the 200 yards back to shore...or walk.

Time for you to start figuring out how you are going to keep your rudder and centerboard down. And to figure how much of different size line you need for rigging, an amazing amount of 4, 6, 8 and 10mm for a small boat. We found a Sta-Set vintage line from New England Rope that we liked. Here are some of the sizes we tried.

10mm
    bow line
    stern line

8mm
    Mainsheet
    halyard

6mm
    parall for boom
    beckets
    lug lacing
    downhaul
    reef lines
    centerboard uphaul/downhaul
    rudder uphaul/downhaul
    sheet bridle
    tiller tie
    sail ties

we ordered over 200 feet of line, and had some left over, but not a lot.

plus you'll be rounding up leathers, blocks, cleats etc...

Fun times!

Kent

thanks for the feedback Kent, I had never given the line any thought at all so that is something else to add to the list.

I think you are right about the seats and apart from one of them I am hopeful that they will darken a bit. The leathers are another thing I have never tackled before so I am not sure if I should get a kit or try from scratch. I figure I need four - two for the oars when I finally stop thinking about them and make them, and one for the boom mast point and another on the yard mast point. Make that five - I forgot the point where the mast goes through the mast partner...hell the little jobs just keep coming.

For the oars I have plans for 8.5ft versions - is this about right for this boat?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mwethers View Post
    thanks for the feedback Kent, I had never given the line any thought at all so that is something else to add to the list.

I think you are right about the seats and apart from one of them I am hopeful that they will darken a bit. The leathers are another thing I have never tackled before so I am not sure if I should get a kit or try from scratch. I figure I need four - two for the oars when I finally stop thinking about them and make them, and one for the boom mast point and another on the yard mast point. Make that five - I forgot the point where the mast goes through the mast partner...hell the little jobs just keep coming.

For the oars I have plans for 8.5ft versions - is this about right for this boat?

Mark
    Howdy Mark

Just here to help

As for oars, I talked to our friend who has rowed his P14 over 1200 miles. He started with 8 foot, used those for quite a while and cut them down to 7 which he likes better. We are liking our 7.5 footers so far, rowing from the forward station. So maybe start with the ones that you want to try out and you could cut them down as desired.

Cheers,
    Kent and Audrey

"seats are going to drive me mad I think. All the same batch of wood, all the same type of tree, but distinctly different shades after the first coat of varnish. I'll see how they look once a couple of coats dry but I may ditch the lighter planks and try again, again!"

I've done a fair amount of wood working, and one thing I always remember is this: You can solve a lot of "problems" by making things look intentional. For instance, alternate your colors so that it looks like that's what you intended all along. You have one that looks the lightest, make it the leading (or last) edge. Good work!

I thought I had better show some life on this build. Spring and warmer weather has come as has more yard duties my wife has wanted doing so hard to get time in the shed. We have also gone from heavy frosts to unseasonal heatwaves in under two weeks so trying to varnish has been fun.

The interior is now complete except for some scratches I need to repaint - I made them when cutting the wood plugs on the side seats. The final job was to seal the watertight compartment hatches which I did the other night.

The tiller all varnished and I am really happy. Had it hanging from the roof to varnish it and managed to hit with my head just about every time I walked past so good to get it down

I am currently varnishing the spars so that hopefully I can start making some dust in the shed on the oars. The spars are coming out ok but they sure are a pain to try and get done in one go. The mast looks ok but I will be the first to admit my first attempt is not round, or oval for that matter...more like a cross between the two. But unless someone runs their hand along it they won't know like I do and as long as it it as strong as it seems then it will do fine.

Boom Jaws

mast fittings

Boom end...I figured since the sail has to be laced to the boom and the general approach seems to drill the boom that I would just create some lacing holes during construction thereby saving the integrity of the spar. Turned out ok.

Apart from the oars I hope to get the boat on the trailer this weekend so I can work out what needs to be done on it before registration. I have also just done the order for a heap of line for the halyard etc as well as some other bits and pieces like the stem eyebolt which I totally forgot about before thinking about the trailer.

Mark

Wow! You've been sneaking in work while we slept. Your boat looks great!

We considered a stem eye but went for this look instead, got the idea from some of Pete Culler's work.

Last edited by signalcharlie; 09-28-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Hi Kent, i considered that option but a bit cautious remembering some of the times growing up when we had to resort to skull-dragging a boat onto a trailer due to steep river banks or trying to beat foul weather etc and the bow eye of the boat was just the perfect point. In the end the bow eye is a brushed bronze Davey item which should go well with the bright stem.

Have you been able to get out in yours for more shakedown cruises?

Mark

Looking great Mark. Which varnish are you using?
    Do you have a 'splash time' in mind?
    Sent you a pm also.
    PeterW

You have been sand-bagging us! Great work, I guess we'll let it slide! I especially love that tiller. I plan on laminating mine, but I love the added touch of "feathering" out the top piece to create the dark, light, dark contrast. I just might plagiarize that idea. Might be the risk you take posting pictures, pretty soon every boat you see will have a tiller just like yours!

Ken

Wow Mark, I’ve just had a very pleasant afternoon watching the AFL and catching up on your build - what a great thread and a stunningly built boat!! You have done some absolutely beautiful work here that would be well appreciated down in Hobart at the WBF if you could get her down there in 2019.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Howdy Mark

That bronze bow eye is going to look nice. We had not heard of Davey, that is a great resource! We also put an 8 foot piece of brass quarter round along the front of the stem and wrapped it under the forefoot.

As for sea trials, we found out the our unweighted rudder and centerboard needed downhauls, so we rigged those.

I tweaked this downhaul a bit after trying this setup, went down to 1/8 inch nylon line, moved the lower eye to the side of the rudder yoke and added small stainless shackles to the eyes so the line moves freely.

We also figured out that we wanted a rope bridle attached to the quarter knees with one small block for the boomless sprit mainsheet. The mainsheet runs from the clew, down to the block then forward to the Skipper.

And the Skipper suggested a tiller that can raise up and down a bit like our Sunfish and Drascombe Lugger and Daysailer. In the picture above you can see how I notched the tiller and yoke, and also rounded the aft end of the tiller so it could rotate. It is pinned with a 1/4 inch bronze pin.

Cheers
    Kent and Audrey
    St. Jacques Build Log

Thanks to all for the encouraging comments. It is quite humbling really. One thing I have learnt of late is that finishing is as much an art as building the boat and I have a lot to learn especially when using high gloss finishes. I am still looking at the Vivier Koumeleg 20 as a possible future boat and will take more time and energy on the finishing of a second boat.

For now though I just want to "mess about in boats" for a while with the family.

Kent - I am so appreciative for the photo's of your rudder setup. I have been wondering how to go about this and your setup is so simple I think I will use it on mine.

To answer the questions:

Peter - I have been using mainly Wattle Weatherfast High Gloss Marine Varnish. This was ok to apply but I have found that the Feast Watson's High Gloss Spar Varnish a bit more superior and my spars are finished in that. To look at there is no difference but the Feast Watson's just looks and feels a better finish.
    Regarding a splash time - today is the second really really nice day of spring so I don't want to miss many more before we start with the summer heat. I don't want to give a firm date but the next couple of weeks depending on how the trailer fits would be great.

Ken - I am fairly sure I copied the tiller from someone else on this forum so copy away. This is just a great resource and if I am able to create a discussion point or something to try for others then I am really chuffed with that. The laminations were a desired outcome but I had no idea how to do them on purpose so they just sort of happened as they did. Where the edges meet on the top aren't sharp geometric lines - more organic - which I thought I would hate but looking at it now I think it is perfect for a boat with no straight lines anyway.

Larks - Thanks for your feedback. I was also watching the AFL. My team won last year so it was just good to see the underdog get up again. I fully intend to get to the next Hobart festival. I went in 2013 but it was during return to Aus leave from deployment and the sudden change of tempo and masses of people meant I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I wanted. I have already told my new boss, and the minister of fun and beer tickets, that I will be taking leave for the next one.

The spars are still tacky from last nights varnish so this morning is shifting dirt in the garden rather than sanding. I have started the oars and the blanks are now glued and sitting on the shed floor waiting to start shaping. What thickness leather should be used for the oars?

These are the oar blanks and one of the templates:

I am also having a go at making rope strop blocks for the traveler and boom. These are being made out of bits and pieces I had lying around in the shed. The timber is Blackwood and Silky Oak on one and Blue Gum and Silky Oak on the other. The sheaves are Tufnell and a small bronze pin holds them in place. This is a work in progress and I am happy to make more if need be but I am looking forward to having a go at the rope work once my hemp gets delivered next week.

These are my components:

Roughly Assembled:

Glued and rough sanded this morning:

That's all for now. Sun is shining and still cool so some digging to do.

Mark

Hi All,

I could have launched by now except my wife and kids flew out to do the family thing and I was threatened with all sorts of horrible deaths if a drop of water touched the hull in her absence. As it was we had a bit of a flash flood go through my property a couple of nights ago and I have spent all time after work cleaning that mess up - it's amazing how much like mud piles of sawdust looks like when wet...that will teach me to vacuum more often!

Anyway I have been playing with my blocks and oars. The oars are shaped and in the process of varnishing - I have read many times on this forum to not use varnish on the handles - what do I use instead?

The blocks have turned out alright I think. Certainly when I hung off them with them attached to the shed roof there was no sign of the grommet giving way or my wooden thimbles breaking. For these first ones I didn't use hemp as I felt I wanted to keep all lines in the boat uniform so I used dyneema - not traditional I know. I also had to seize the ends together rather than braid which does not sit as flat as I want but as I said this is my first attempt and will help me get launched. They cost about $15.00 in materials and if I make my own sheaves next time it will be a cheap and satisfying hobby to perfect over time.

I am going for a 2:1 setup for the main sheet and will attach the larger block to the boom by one end, the main-sheet end to the lower thimble then run the sheet to the smaller block on the rope traveler before back to the boom block. Hope it works.

Regardless of how they work this has been fun and I am sure I will make some more soon.

Mark

Leave the oar handles unfinished, just bare wood. Feels great on your hands, and won't be living underwater so the lack of finish is fine.

You boat looks great!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Getting closer. I now have a boat sized hole in the shed. Next is to register the trailer this week now I know the boat fits well and everything works as it should

Unfortunately once I put the mast in the first time I realised that I made an error in the hole in the partner and it was about 1\2in out. To save trashing a beautiful and not cheap piece of blackwood I made a dougnut out of blue gum to fit over the top of the now enlarged hole and made a piece to fit underneath.
    A clean up with the flush trim bit, a quick sand followed by a some west special clear epoxy and it is ready for varnish.

I have to lace the sail to the yard now. Would anyone have some good quality photo's showing how they have set up a lug sail yard? Some references I have say drill the yard at both ends for lacing, others say to just bind it.

Looking at wetting the hull this weekend if there are no probs with the trailer. If I can't work out the sail by then it will still be good for a row at least.

Mark.

Lookin' very good Mark!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Beautiful boat, well done!

Quote Originally Posted by mwethers View Post
    I have to lace the sail to the yard now. Would anyone have some good quality photo's showing how they have set up a lug sail yard? Some references I have say drill the yard at both ends for lacing, others say to just bind it.
    I don't have many good photos, but here are couple of thoughts: I use an individual tie at each grommet rather than a continuous lacing. I've found it's best to keep the ties even, but not too tight, as in the photo below:

DSCN3212.jpg

I did drill a hole at each end of the yard--no close-ups, but remember that those end grommets each get 2 ties run through them--one through the hole that serves as an outhaul, and one that goes around the yard, but not through the hole.

Good luck with the launching! I like the color you picked for the hull--looks strangely familiar...

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Looks terrific Mark - well done!
    PeterW

She's looking great Mark, love how all of the colors and trim came together. She's going to pop on the water.

I cut the mast hole in the thwart too big, even if I added leathers. That's why we have an added mast collar there

On the Penobscot 17 balanced lug we had we tied separate outhauls on each end and then used a marlin hitch along the yard. The boom was left free footed.

For more info you can look at our blog for the Penobscot 17 Hannah. http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot...17-hannah.html

Cheers
    Kent and Audrey
    Last edited by signalcharlie; 10-17-2017 at 09:06 AM.

After delays getting my second hand trailer registered in the state of excess red tape and unnecessary fees, followed by my boys getting the flu, and then me doing something to my back it seemed like there was always going to be something in the way of the launch....but two years to the day that I got off the plane from my last deployment and my wife just said to stay home for a while and "build the damn boat" we launched...

We launched on a man made lake called Lake Burley Griffin, here in Canberra. The point we chose was the Black Mountain Peninsular boat ramp which is an area where a lot of the rowing clubs are situated. Very handy to use the launching area for the skulls to get in and out.

I chose to just row today after hurting my back I didn't feel like wrestling with a mast and sail for the first time. As it turned out the weather man got it wrong and instead of a nice sunny day it was cold and windy so sails would not have been a great idea anyway.

I had no idea at all if my first attempt at oars would be any good as they have a fair flex in them so I didn't bother to leather them till I tried them but they worked great and I couldn't feel any noticeable flex and they also seem to be perfectly proportioned to this boat, so I will get hold of some good leather and finish them off. My boys also loved the chance to have a row so I will make another set for the front seat.

My first impressions - wow this is so different to the standard plastic canoe or tinny to row! Fast and easy to get going. It was a pleasure to row and did not seem as a secondary form of propulsion to the sail. I can't wait to try the sail out but I honestly think I will use just the oars for a lot of the time.

My youngest had never rowed and is still a bit small but after a small stretch of "dual rowing" he got the hang of it - sort off - and did ok with the wind behind us.
    My eldest had rowed a canoe on a school camp so he knew boats - or that's what he though. After a while though he did get the hang of it but coordination is a developing skill with him.

I will post more in a week or two when I try the sails out

Mark

Looking great, nice job!

Well she looks beautiful. Well balanced and the finish is great. Those colors are in concert with nature. Did the family name her yet?

We found the rowing to be a lot of fun as well, and our youngest developed a strange Boston seafaring accent while he was on the oars

So your family built a wooden boat! Congratulations!

Cheers
    Kent and Audrey

The smiling faces really say everything necessary.A nicely built boat and proof that the designer has an eye for a nice line.

Nice works ,bravo!!

Well done Mark ...she looks terrific on the water. We were just down in Canberra for the Wood Show. When does the first sail happen? ...pics of that event also please!
    PeterW