Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Penobscot 14 in Canberra Aus

Default Penobscot 14 in Canberra Aus

Hi All

I said to myself I would only post once I had a boat framed which would be the point at which I would be confident I could complete the boat. Hopefully the photo's all work as planned.

I bought the plans for the Penobscot a couple of years ago after I returned from a deployment thinking I would be able to start straight away. Unfortunately life gets in the way and I have just returned from a third deployment having started with the stem, transom frame and temp frames just before my second trip. Unfortunately the timber I used - hoop pine - did not survive seasonal change and a couple of shifts and storage in a metal shed. The frames spreaders all bowed and needed to be rebuilt and the stem cracked from the screw holes as well as suffered some delamination.

On my last trip I spent lots of hours trawling this forum at night because I knew I had to start again so considered other plans. I rationalised to myself that an 18 ft boat is only 4ft longer than the Penobscot so why not go bigger. I even bought plans for the Gartside 203 and I am still in lust with that plan and will look at it following this build. Thankfully though common sense has prevailed after measuring my shed and looking at the prices of "good" timber and I have returned to the Penobscot to build my skills.

I will try and update as I progress through milestones and I thank the forum members in advance for your advice and criticisms.

From the begining - Mid-November 2015 start:

The strongback: Way over engineered but I want it to stay put for at least a year and probably two. Made with LVL beams which I have already made plans to recycle into a chicken shed when I am finished. All through my deployment my wife said "to get home and just build the damn boat" but as soon as I got home she loaded me up with projects such as garden beds and the bee hive in the background of this photo and I wasn't allowed to start cutting wood until I sorted out the dust collection so had to build the vacuum trolley you can see.

Stem and Transom frame: I have made these from Blackwood, really nice looking timber and about the cheapest of the lightweight Aus hardwoods available but still expensive and relatively heavy but surprisingly the stem turned out only about 30gm's heavier than the hoop pine. The timber tears out fairly easily but any errors so far will be hidden within the final boat so I am still considering a bright finish on the transom.

Fake stringers: A trick I picked up from another builder to check on the stringer locations before hacking into the bulkheads. Just realised that the photo makes the locations look really out of line but once tight the tape was ok. Not good for looking at the curves though.

Dry Fit Stringers: Final fitting of the stringers. The balckwood keel and sheer clamps are glued in place at this stage. I split a sheer clamp at the stem during the multiple fit/take off/fit/takeoff rotations but it glued up - and later cleaned up ok.

Outer Stem: I am really pleased with how this turned out especially as this was really keeping me up at night. The pans called for 5mm laminations but the blackwood would not play that game so I thinned them down to 3-4mm and it worked well. I also took care in alligning the dark and light timber just so which keeps my finishing options open still. Had about 1/2 inch springback once all the clamps were released but there is more than enough flex to make that simple to deal with.

Last edited by mwethers; 07-07-2017 at 12:25 AM.

Default Re: Penobscot 14 in Canberra Aus

Transom: Made from 6.5mm Marine Ply (hoop). I realise I am suffering from "I don't have enough clamps'itis" so every pay day I am picking up another couple. By the time planking starts I will have almost enough.

Stem Bevelling: Fairly well where I am up to now. I have just finished rough bevelling for the garbard planks and will leave it there till I pick up the marine ply once the minister of fun and beer tickets (the wife) says I can. I blew the ply budget in January when I destroyed my table saw and had to buy another one. My darling said I have to wait until Febuary for the wood damnit.
    I destroyed the gears in the old saw when the timber I was ripping for the outer stem sprung badly as I cut it and bound the back of the blade.

And that's all for now. I think everyone agrees how useful this forum is especially to beginners like me so I will use it often - I read everyone's progress reports daily. It was entertaining and educational whilst away although I fell into the bilge once or twice and got worried I would be lost in there forever.

Can someone suggest what is the best way to protect the transom from glue drips once I start planking - just tape or coat in epoxy?

Mark
    Last edited by mwethers; 07-07-2017 at 12:27 AM.

I think you have been very wise to stick to the original build. Four feet in length isn't much but it represents a huge difference in volume, cost and time. If confidence and available time are issues you are on the right track IMHO.
    Dribble prevention could be as simple as some masking tape holding a plastic sheet over the transom, but many people find it useful to pre-coat panels like that before assembly because it is easier, as long as the jointing surfaces are kept dry and clean with some sort of mask.

Thanks for sharing the build. I'm sure you'll get support here as needed- although we won't always be in agreement!
    Rob

middlething.blogspot.com

Excellent. I'm a bit worried that you are spending too much time on the forum though, Mark. 2 posts every 7 years!

Looking forward to watching the rest of the work
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Strange - could have sworn I joined in January this year....although 2008 was about the time my thoughts started drifting from an infatuation with wooden aircraft to wooden boats so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Excellent. I'm a bit worried that you are spending too much time on the forum though, Mark. 2 posts every 7 years!

Looking forward to watching the rest of the work

Well it has been a while since I posted and as you could see by the photo above I am somewhat advanced in my build. I won't put up the numerous shots of the planking as honestly there is nothing new...and it is after all just plywood and epoxy.

Nothing of note to report as the plans produced by Arch Davis are excellent and when I have trusted them then everything has gone very well.

My actual point in the construction is as per the photo below

The hull construction is all done now and just after this photo was taken on the weekend I did what I hope is the last of the filleting for sanding this weekend. For the interest of anyone into wood the outer stem is all the same type of tree - Blackwood. Just managed to get different aged and region off-cuts for the different lamination's. The deadwood is Queensland Silky Oak, heavy but so nice to work with especially after plywood.

A quick question for the wise though...my son is seen here on the weekend vacuuming the hull before filleting. As you can see he has good fitting ear protection but I can't let him help with the sanding as I can't seem to find a cartridge type respirator to fit his small head. I think the paper type masks are useless and want to teach him to use the best possible protection. Does anyone know of a brand of respirator to fit kids heads?

Next to do after the sanding - I will coat with epoxy and turn now rather than paint as it has been very wet and cold (for Australia that is) here for a good while now and I don't think that painting is a good move just yet. I am posted at the end of the year so I need to keep moving forward and can't wait for the weather before progressing to the interior. I have started the mast and spars but something happened to one of my mast lamination's and the epoxy didn't take. I redid it but I am not sure if I can trust the mast now so I may start again to be sure.

Also has anyone used the sailrite produced sail kits? I think I will get the one for the Penobscot but although they say you can make them with a standard sewing machine I would hate to get one and then realise you actually need an industrial canvas machine to put them together. First hand experience would be appreciated.

Mark
    Last edited by mwethers; 07-07-2017 at 12:35 AM.

Looks great!

It's coming along beautifully.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Very nice job. The hull is looking really good.

You are right about proper protection for sanding blackwood and epoxy as both are pretty damn toxic. For your boy you might need to go to a positive ventilation mask setup where the close fit is less important. Triton used to make one when they were based in Aus. Don't know about now.

Are you using the birdsmouth method for building your spars? As far as sailmaking is concerned I would be more inclined to get them made by a sailmaker. Costs more but the result will be certain. There are still a few smaller sailmakers left who will make sails for cruisers not racers.

Where will you row/sail your boat?

Graeme

Looking really nice.

I got a kit from Sailrite, intending to sew my own sail. My sewing machine would handle two layers of sail cloth, but not the multiple layers at the corners. I wound up farming the kit out to a sailmaker and had them sew it for me.
    Al

She's looking great , well done Mark !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Hi Graeme

I am going into Carbatec Sydney tomorrow so I will ask in there for any positive ventilation systems suitable. I am building the boat with an eye on doing some camping with my boys down the south coast at St Georges Basin and Lakes entrance. As I am posted to Sydney next year I want to try out Sydney Harbour which every wooden boat should do at least once I think. I have heard that Lake Burley Griffen is not a lot of fun for sailing due to the very flukey winds but I have heard some good things about Googong dam. I am also harbouring a desire to sneak up to the alpine lakes for some trout fishing - lots of options in this part of the world.

The method for mast construction from the designer is to face glue three 3/4 in pieces together and shape from there. I think what happened if I put my "I know a tiny bit of wood and epoxy hat" on is that on the second face I had a combination of exothermic runaway with the epoxy and a piece of timber with a bit much moisture in it. Unfortunately I didn't take any photo's at the time as I probably would have thrown the camera through the shed wall in frustration.

I have got few recommendations to use a sail-maker including Al Meyer below, so I will try a few of the smaller company's for a quote on both using the sailrite kit and from scratch.

Can I get some advice from someone regarding applying epoxy over bits which may be varnished. I am going to give the whole hull a coat of epoxy but still haven't decided if I will varnish the stem so should I leave it without or is it ok to varnish over epoxy? I intend to use West slow hardener for the hull but could use special clear hardener for the stem just in case if it is a better option.

Mark

G'day Mark, and welcome. You've got a lovely boat-in-the-making there. (And who knew there were so many Canberrans here?)

As to varnishing over epoxy, not only can you do it, but you should. This is because epoxy is subject to UV degradation (especially bad here, as you would imagine), and varnish contains UV inhibitors, and so protects it.

But instead of using WEST, why not use our own Bote-Cote? Just as good, and an easier 2:1 mix. (Smells nicer too....)

Warren (Wild Wassa) used to refer to Lake Burley Griffin as "Lake Barely Sailable" because of the wind-gust directions. Lake Tuggers is probably a little small but okay, and the same for Gininderra, and as you say there are other water bodies hereabouts to explore. (Who knows, a couple more years like this and you could be even sailing on Lake George. )

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Mark

Contrary to popular opinion Lake Burley Griffin is a fine place to sail and it is probably one of the prettiest lakes in Australia. Like any inland waterway it suffers from the vagaries of light and sometimes unpredictable breezes but that is less of an issue than the 40 knot north westers which sometimes seem to blight Canberra particularly in springtime. As mentioned Lake Ginninderra and Lake Tuggeranong are also quite sailable. All of these lakes have excellent access and parking for cars and boat trailers at the right price (gratis) and are blissfully free of motorised skidoos on water. Sydney Harbour is also a glorious waterway but access is sometimes a problem and can also be expensive. St Georges Basin is great, Lake Wallagoot (near Tathra) a dream destination, Mallacoota Inlet is superb, and as you mentioned the Gippsland Lakes are also glorious even if not so close.

Making birdsmouth spars is quite straightforward - see the article in Woodenboat 149 - and leads to excellent light and strong spars. I have used Surian (a Toona species like Aus Red Cedar) to make a boom. You could use Oregon (Douglas Fir) or Hoop Pine and mill the staves on your Triton saw table.
    Possible timber sources include Monaro Timbers in Queanbeyan.

Or an alloy tube with end plugs for a mast is a possibility. And yes, BoteCote is an excellent alternative to West epoxy. The clear Aquacote sold by Boatcraft Pacific is also worthy for consideration to use over epoxy. There is no yellowing as there can be with oil based varnishes and it is very tough and durable. I have used it in high use situations such as oars.

Graeme

Mark - just found this one : a really nice job! Keep the pics coming.
    PeterW

Mark, Nice job and great perseverance! I think you are going to have great fun with this boat. I love mine built in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA in 2006.
    Peter

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I haven't been able to do too much but today I stayed home to umpire a builder arguing with a concreter in my front yard over who's interpretation of hole spacings was more accurate, so took the opportunity to finally get the epoxy coat out of the way. I love how the blackwood really pops out in color.

Unfortunately I forgot that once the coat was on I would not be able to work in the shed until it wasn't tacky anymore so "wasted" most of the day sitting in the pre-spring warmth drinking coffee.

For Mike, I am aware of Bote-Cote and used it very early on but at a time of needing some epoxy quickly there was no stocks in Canberra but I could get West's so for the moment I have a bit of an investment in West epoxy and may look at changing over when I use it all.

Now it is warming up I will reconsider if I will paint now or flip over and complete the interior first. Great to know however that the boat shape in my shed is structurally complete enough to float if the centerboard slot wasn't there. Will work on a cradle next and also revisit the spars.

Mark
    Last edited by mwethers; 07-07-2017 at 12:39 AM.

Beautiful! We can have a race to finish our builds, we just flipped ours at the end of May after we rolled the first coat of Rustoleum Topside Oyster White. Click here for the build blog.

We fit and assembled a cradle out of 1x6s before we flipper her and then attached a furniture dolly at each end, it rolls pretty good around the shop.

great progress, she is looking sweet. nice work

Thanks Charlie, I really appreciate your photo's as I was starting to think about the cradle and how best to go about it. It is funny how in your tipping photo the boat looks so small but up close it seems to be such a lot of boat for two people to flip.

Did you prime first before painting with the rustoleum?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mwethers View Post
    Thanks Charlie, I really appreciate your photo's as I was starting to think about the cradle and how best to go about it. It is funny how in your tipping photo the boat looks so small but up close it seems to be such a lot of boat for two people to flip.

Did you prime first before painting with the rustoleum?

Mark
    Hi Mark

You're welcome, we are having fun building her. Right now we are tied up with an 1880s bateau restoration that popped onto the radar this Winter. The boat felt light with 4 people on it, and is easy to move around the shed now. It's supposed to be around 130 lbs, which puts it along the same length/weight specifications as a Sunfish. I don't want too lively of a sailer, so we are leaning towards the lug or sprit rig. She will mainly be a rower.

Speaking of Winter (Florida Winter), I was hurrying to get that coat of paint on because a friend was coming to visit and I wanted to show some progress He has seen her in Feb 2014....and 2015...and 2016. SO the air temp was dropping into the low 60Fs and the paint was thickening. I used a 50/50 mix of Rustoleum Marine Topside primer and Oyster White for the first coat, with minimal fairing other than the screw holes. Now I can see hills and valleys and fair a bit more.

Roll and Tip video

Cheers
    Kent
    Last edited by signalcharlie; 08-17-2016 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Added video link

Mark, Kent, the boats look great! Although a few people will pooh-pooh Arch's use of longitudinal stringers, I think they make for an ultra strong lap joint and stiff boat overall. One negative is that the stringers will prevent water that gets into the boat from readily draining to the bilge. Most people wipe down their boats after use anyway, and those stringers just add a bit of extra wiping work if you were out on a rough day with water splashing in. Not a big deal.

I actually notched my stringers to improve drainage to bilge but Arch's 17 Penobscot is a slightly different beast with numerous solid bulkheads built into the design.  I think you could do it on the 14 without any negative impact. I didn't blog a build but have a bunch of pics showing the build (and where I notched). I also did a partial deck and pivoting Gunter rig, sort of like the CLC pocketship. Have fun with the rest of the project, I'll be watchin (it's the journey not the destination....).

http://s59.photobucket.com/user/targ...?sort=6&page=1

http://s59.photobucket.com/user/targ...?sort=3&page=1

Thanks for the links to the photo's very interesting. I may follow your lead on some of the finish items when I get around to flipping my boat.

I love the colour choice and I will be going similar but won't varnish the transom as I don't think the finish at the edges is very good. What was the paint colour and type you used?

Mark
    Last edited by mwethers; 07-07-2017 at 12:41 AM. Reason: clarification of the photo owner

Wow ! She looks great ! I love your colour choices !
    Grateful Dead

A great build. Look forward to sailing alongside of her one day.

Graeme

Really fine job - well done!!
    PeterW

Quote Originally Posted by mwethers View Post
    Thanks for the links to the photo's very interesting. I may follow your lead on some of the finish items when I get around to flipping my boat.

I love the colour choice and I will be going similar but won't varnish the transom as I don't think the finish at the edges is very good. What was the paint colour and type you used?

Mark
    Paint was George Kirby semigloss enamel; #32 Sand for the cockpit and one of his standard greens for the the hull. I just can't remember exactly which green, maybe #37 Permanent Green (?). I know it was lighter than the Bottle Green, which I also considered. I think I spent more time finishing than building (four coats West 206/105, one coat Zinsser oil primer and two coats of Kirby). Here's the link for Kirby's standard colors

https://kirbypaint.com/index.php?rou...ums&album_id=3

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral1645 View Post
    Mark

Contrary to popular opinion Lake Burley Griffin is a fine place to sail and it is probably one of the prettiest lakes in Australia. Like any inland waterway it suffers from the vagaries of light and sometimes unpredictable breezes but that is less of an issue than the 40 knot north westers which sometimes seem to blight Canberra particularly in springtime. As mentioned Lake Ginninderra and Lake Tuggeranong are also quite sailable. All of these lakes have excellent access and parking for cars and boat trailers at the right price (gratis) and are blissfully free of motorised skidoos on water. Sydney Harbour is also a glorious waterway but access is sometimes a problem and can also be expensive. St Georges Basin is great, Lake Wallagoot (near Tathra) a dream destination, Mallacoota Inlet is superb, and as you mentioned the Gippsland Lakes are also glorious even if not so close.

Making birdsmouth spars is quite straightforward - see the article in Woodenboat 149 - and leads to excellent light and strong spars. I have used Surian (a Toona species like Aus Red Cedar) to make a boom. You could use Oregon (Douglas Fir) or Hoop Pine and mill the staves on your Triton saw table.
    Possible timber sources include Monaro Timbers in Queanbeyan.

Or an alloy tube with end plugs for a mast is a possibility. And yes, BoteCote is an excellent alternative to West epoxy. The clear Aquacote sold by Boatcraft Pacific is also worthy for consideration to use over epoxy. There is no yellowing as there can be with oil based varnishes and it is very tough and durable. I have used it in high use situations such as oars.

Graeme
    Lake BG's good fun on the spring sea breezes that come up around 7 pm - just as we're finishing the bleedin' twilight races. And IMHO those big westerlies are a hoot on the right board or boat!

Personally I think Batemans Bay is the best sailing and cruising ground I know, apart from the lack of good anchorages in a SE swell, but I must try Wallagoot and Mallacoota - thanks for the recommendation.

Well I am still plugging away in between landscaping, building bee hives, family etc etc etc.

I totally stuffed up the painting not once or twice but several times on the transom. I just couldn't get the results I wanted with the varnish and eventually took it back to clean wood and used a contrasting paint. On the deadwood the paint I chose didn't take to the epoxy covered wood and came off in a big sheet so I had to start again. All a learning experience I guess and I won't make the same mistakes again.

Flipped the boat finally. I had planned for a boat flipping BBQ but living in the country takes some coordinating with friends to help and at the last minute they had to pull out so I flipped it myself rather than postpone again - much to the great annoyance of my wife who wanted the BBQ and me not to strain my back. I was very surprised however how light the hull is and with some very simple levers and straps from the shed roof it was very easy after all.

First photo of the cradle built on the boat:

Then sitting in the cradle. I chose to just sit the cradle on the existing strongback so it is at a good working height and I have some scope for movement so I can move around it in tight spaces.

I have to make the centerboard now, another job I have been dwelling over and procrastinating but need the case constructed as it forms a support for one of the seats. How heavy does a centerboard need to be? I have a number of timbers in my shed I could use - Silky Oak, Blackwood, Myrtle, and Golden Cypress. The cypress is easy to work but light and the Silky Oak is beautiful and heavy but a mongrel to work. Or should I just suck it and get 3/4in plywood?

Cheers
    Mark
    Last edited by mwethers; 07-07-2017 at 12:42 AM.

Looking great Mark. How thick does the board have to be? You could do a ply core with longitudinal strips of myrtle to give it some heft and strength. From my experience the myrtle works well, glues nicely and is stable. My 2cs worth.
    PeterW

What do the plans specify Mark ?

I made mine from 2 layers of 9m marine ply.
    Grateful Dead

Hi Peter, The plans call for 3/4in but there is little else in description apart from the dimensions. In the back of the manual Arch just has the centerboard as Lumber which I would assume as Fir or Ash given the examples where he actually specifies a recommendation.

I am thinking a heavier wood like the Silky Oak so that there is a good whack of weight down low for stability. It just costs so much I keep holding onto my stores for that "special project" that might come along and as the board will very rarely seen it seems a waste.

The Tasmanian Myrtle is a really nice looking wood but I am unsure if it will stand up to centerboard use as I have heard it doesn't like getting wet. Although the board will be covered in epoxy.
    I have heaps of Cypress as I use it for the bee hives and it is naturally weather (water) and pest resistant and easy to work although it splinters like nothing else with a router and has to be pre-drilled all the time.
    The instant heat change we are having is making all my wood move around a bit but it all seems fairly stable.

Hi Mark.
    Looks like you are doing a great job so far , the hull looks really good.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    What do the plans specify Mark ?

I made mine from 2 layers of 9m marine ply.

In my humble opinion , 2x layers 3/8 plywood epoxied together sounds like it would make a nice strong and stable board.

I would glass it all round too.

Mine was glassed and weighted too.
    Grateful Dead

Hi Mark,

Your boat looks great and has me motivated to start on the centerboard case for ours.

How about sending Arch an email and asking him his thoughts on the different centerboard options?

In my uninformed opinion I don't think the weight would be a big factor, as the board will probably be held down by a bungee and and it is a relatively short lever arm. As for material I plan to use mahogany that we have left over from a Sunfish daggerboard experiment or a nice piece of white oak from another daggerboard experiment, IF the pieces are wide enough. Cypress is also a choice for us, we just worked with a bunch of it on a rowboat restoration and I like it. The stringers and clamps on our boat are cypress so maybe we stick with that theme and use that for seats and centerboard case trimming as well.

Cheers
    Kent in Florida