Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Building a model of Dulcibella from Riddle of the Sands. Have questions!

Default Re: Building a model of Dulcibella from Riddle of the Sands. Have questions!

I get drillbits at Zak Jewelry Supply in Manhattan. They have a really impressive selection. https://www.zakjewelrytools.com/

Default Re: Building a model of Dulcibella from Riddle of the Sands. Have questions!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyCity Frankie View Post
    I'm curious how you guys can post photos from the Flickr page. I tried following the WBF instructions, which are Flickr-specific, but was unable to get the URLs I cut and pasted into the edit window in the proper field after clicking on the icon of a tree in the edit menus. Never resulted in an image visible. Maybe it's because I'm using an iPad?
    I'm using an ipad, and it can be challenging, (the latest update made my ipad more compatible with the forum software)

How I do it>
    select the image you want to display, use the down arrow at the lower right of the flicker page to select a size, open the image again at a size and then just copy the url from the address bar. (If you want to test it just open another window and paste it into the address bar to see if it works)

Then, paste it into WB image box and uncheck the little box, bingo!

I'm entering the phase of the model where I have to build the gear visible on deck. There are grey areas, there are decisions to o make. Dulcibella needs an anchor of some sort, it's a United Kingdom small craft. What sort of Anchor would she have? I'm thinking of a fishermans anchor with a sliding stock, but I have no references material to work from, everything I have is for larger vessels. Then there is the winch. I've seen traditional sail vessels with tiny little foot tall capstans. But I think more likely would be some kind of patent iron single drum winch, which are more common ooh the traditional vessels I see photos of. I ordered a lot of watch gears and I hope some of those will be a close diameter and tooth count to help me mock up a latent winch.

^ A folding fishermans anchor would be appropriate. Is there nothing in the book about coming to anchor or getting under weigh?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Found this

Looks like one of these on the foredeck.

Chapter 5 of "The Riddle" confirms a fishermans anchor.

Looks like a handy little beast!

One thing I would guess is that it would penetrate a garboard, not the keel. This is shown in Peerie's excellent photo.
    Good luck

If you look at the film stills in your Flickr page, you will see one of these
    on Dulcibellas foredeck.
    It differs from the one that I posted earlier by the bollard on its top.

I met the 'film' Dulcibella around 1985. She was owned by a German (!), nice guy, and she did not have a centerboard but a keel.
    This is probably also completely irrelevant but 15 years later I lost the steel centreboard of my boat while anchored near Schiermonnikoog: The pivoting bolt and chain pennant were completely rusted away where they were attached to the centreboard. We sailed the rest of the summer with the c.b. tied to a stanchion. Repairs later were easy. The steel, perhaps 10 mm thick, plate was about a quart of a circle. Good luck with your project. Frank van Zoest

Coming a bit late to this thread...

My father bought a Scottish pulling and sailing RNLI lifeboat, the "John and Sarah Hatfield", the ex St Andrews' lifeboat, from RNLI disposals in the late 1930's, sailed her through the Caledonian Canal and down to Cornwall and converted her into a "yacht", renaming her "Sarah John". She had been built by Thames iron Works in 1909 and was 35ft x 8ft 6ins, with a single centreplate. I mention the single centreplate because some RNLI pulling and sailing boats had twin "drop keels" - it was these that were housed in cases below the bilge - Sarah John's centreplate case most certainly came into the accommodation and as is customary it supported the cabin table.

Given the dimensions of the Dulcibella and indeed the Vixen I dare say the shape would have been similar.

Here she is in her lifeboat days...

Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 09-19-2017 at 06:45 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

And here is a drawing of the class - 15 were built to this design:

On one occasion during my father's ownership the hoisting wire for the steel centreplate carried away and it dropped right down - luckily she was at anchor at the time so there were no bending stresses on the plate or the case and the situation could be recovered by getting her on posts over a grid and as the tide fell the errant centreplate came home and was re-attached.

As a yacht, she most certainly was not a thing of beauty, but in those days those who could afford proper yachts were not so numerous and "conversions" we quite common.

I expect that the design did not change much so the Vixen/Dulcibella would have been similar.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 09-19-2017 at 06:53 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT