Thread: Guitar Music?

Default Guitar Music?

So what's everyone playing?

I freely admit to being rather poor at the guitar, so I've set my sites low.

Here's one I'm working on: Jesus and Mary Chain, "Till It Shines"... kinda simple chord progression, with a little bit of a guitar solo around 2:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hdw7oH0gwc

Also, in the same vein: Jesus and Mary Chain, "Dirty Water":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP9m9V7YY84

And Cracker "Sweet Potato":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nKCjzKkeVs

Default Re: Guitar Music?

I've been playing around with a steel resonator and slide for a few weeks now so there is absolutely nothing that sounds like music coming from my house at the moment.

Recently though I'm tending to favor learning riffs over whole songs but the last one I had a go a learning front to back was Black by Pearl Jam. It's passable but I won't be playing it in public anytime soon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q9UafsiQ6k

I've just about given up playing guitar after about 50+ years of playing to a reasonable semi-pro standard. This is frustrating because I still own a Strat, a Tele (both US standard), a 70s Ovation and a 60s Harmony Sovereign, a nice little Fender valve amp and a Boss e-band. Problem is my fingers don't work properly any more. They're stiff and clumsy, I can't seem to hold down a chord and fast licks are a thing of the past. I am now concentrating on playing brass instruments, currently enjoying playing a cornet.

I recently bought an Epiphone electric lap steel which is fun, and at least the fender amp gets some use.
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

I had the same problem isla.
    I'm a student classical guitar player now and hired a serious teacher.
    I'm trying to learn the proper classical technique, which is hard at this age, but it certainly improves the mobility and dexterity of my fingers.
    I'm hopeful

Thumbs up Re: Guitar Music?

If I could play guitar, I'd wanna play like Johnny Hickman.

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Oh. Oh, my.

Well, I play guitar with Quad, and sometimes with others; but Iím totally over the guitar. Mostly. I still like to rock out with the Kid, and for that we jam loud ass rock and or roll.
    When we play covers, itís lots of metal and thrash music, and some punk rock type stuff. When we play our own music, itís metal and thrash, with some punk type stuff.

Mostly, I play uke, anymore. I fingerpick, banjo style, for the most part; they play very similarly due to the high top string.

Whatís wild is the transition from one to the other, and the different hands. For guitar, my left hand works more, as I play with a pick.
    For uke, my right hand works more, as the melody is as much the plucked strings as the fingerings.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    I had the same problem isla.
    I'm a student classical guitar player now and hired a serious teacher.
    I'm trying to learn the proper classical technique, which is hard at this age, but it certainly improves the mobility and dexterity of my fingers.
    I'm hopeful
    I spent a lot of my college time bumming around Juan Serrano, and his students. Theyíll make you want to smash your guitar to little bits.

I finally learned how to play "Blackbird."
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

What am I playing? Hmmm this morning I was playing ELP on acoustic:

My version sounds a little different and possibly behind tempo.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Oh, that? I’m slow.

I learned “King of the Road” not long ago, so it’s been stuck in my fingers/head. “This Land” and “Imagine” have been regulars for a minute, and I’ve been learning a bunch of Bowie songs.

”The Man Who Sold the World” and “Space Oddity” and “Life On Mars” have been my three faves.

Also, I can’t stop playing this weird bluegrass type arrangement of Nirvana’s “Lithium” that I dreamt up. It’s a very bubble gum tempo, and makes the song even creepier, I think.

All this on uke. Sorry.

Still can’t sing.

Guitar stuff has been “The Hunt” by New Model Army, a LOT of Ramones and Misfits stuff, and way, way too much “Seek and Destroy” by Metallica. Oh, and “Aces High”, “Tailgunner”, and “The Trooper”. Wish my kid wasn’t good at playing bass.

ETA: all my guitar playing is done with my Oldest Son. Otherwise I’m obsessed with the uke. Because, well, I’m me.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    I've just about given up playing guitar after about 50+ years of playing to a reasonable semi-pro standard. This is fustrating because I still own a Strat, a Tele (both US standard), a 70s Ovation and a 60s Harmony Sovereign, a nice little Fender valve amp and a Boss e-band. Problem is my fingers don't work properly any more. They're stiff and clumsy, I can't seem to hold down a chord and fast licks are a thing of the past. I am now concentrating on playing brass instruments, currently enjoying playing a cornet.

I recently bought an Epiphone electric lap steel which is fun, and at least the fender amp gets some use.
    A friend picked up a cheap flugelhorn - and immediately christened it "The Frugal Horn"

Megan Lovell of Larkin Poe has a "DIY Slide" series on youtube

I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Well, I play guitar with Quad, and sometimes with others; but Iím totally over the guitar. Mostly. I still like to rock out with the Kid, and for that we jam loud ass rock and or roll.
    When we play covers, itís lots of metal and thrash music, and some punk rock type stuff. When we play our own music, itís metal and thrash, with some punk type stuff.
    I'm starting to suspect you're not really Amish.

Another song I want to learn is Black Betty by Ram Jam, but I think I'm going to need someone to rewrite the lyrics to something a little more PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_2D8Eo15wE

The bass player reminds me of Joe (CSOH).

Any nominees for who the singer reminds one of?

Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    I'm starting to suspect you're not really Amish.
    Ha! A hundred years ago, I fixed my friendís granddadís boat. Rode over on my black bike, with my straw hat and chin strap, used hand tools, and didnít talk much.

Later, he asked after ďthat Amish guyĒ, and Amish Rob was born. Iím fairly familiar with Anabaptists, but I sure ainít one.

My daughter bought me a Gretch Uke recently and I've been enjoying getting a few tunes out of it. Simple stuff, blues in E G or C and some melodic stuff to explore a bit. Took it camping last week for some Uke under the stars sessions with guit players camped nearby.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

I keep looking at the U-Bass Ukes with those big rubber strings.

I really suck at guitar, but I love to piddle around with it, mostly acoustic. I have a few electrics, a Fender 72 Re issue and a new Les Paul Jr. by Epiphone and my Dad’s old Gibson ES 125 (1951). I so want to learn how to improvise rhythm and lead over the fretboard. I am old and slow though...

The Kala U-Bass is fairly amazing, considering that the strings are rubber and it's so small. You need to roll the treble on your amp way down to diminish the finger noise and adjust your timing a bit. The rubber strings feel kind of sticky compared to regular bass strings, so you need to anticipate a little bit to stay in time. After a song or two you adjust and get in the groove and don't have to concentrate on it. The strings also stretch forever. Every six months or so the pegs get full and I end up unwinding the strings, cutting an inch or better off and tuning back up. You can hear a U-Bass faintly when not amplified, but if you want to accompany anybody you need to use an amp.

U-Bass at left, compared to regular basses with their scale lengths.

bass-guitars.jpg

U-bass sound sample:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w116m5oxmlvb12z/Kala.mp3?dl=0

Clips of all of them from left to right.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4n1j8c9s1d...mples.mp3?dl=0

Is this the right thread on which to share a video of me practicing in the shop?

Meanwhile, what I'm currently listening to, other than Benny Goodman's Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert, is Django Reinhardt and Stephan Grappeli. So those sorts of classic ol' timey jazz is what I play on guitar.

Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    My daughter bought me a Gretch Uke recently and I've been enjoying getting a few tunes out of it. Simple stuff, blues in E G or C and some melodic stuff to explore a bit. Took it camping last week for some Uke under the stars sessions with guit players camped nearby.
    What size? I have a Soprano, a Concert, and a Tenor. I much prefer concert, as itís a nice compromise in playability (for my spider fingers) and tone. My tenor is set up as a low-G right now, and I canít say I prefer it. It makes some songs easier (Message In A Bottle), but some impossible (my arrangement of Imagine, for example).

I play mine very much like a banjo, as the right hand movements can be transferred when finger picking. I pick, and play claw hammer. I donít strum the uke very often.

One day, maybe, Iíd like to get a really nice concert uke. The cool thing about ukes is a nice one is only a couple hundred bucks; but, itís still a couple hundred bucks.

And, flourocarbon strings. Game. Changed.