Thread: WBF Napkin Architects - hand draw and submit a single page drawing of your race boat

Default WBF Napkin Architects - hand draw and submit a single page drawing of your race boat

Call for a napkin drawing. Winner selected by open forum will receive a suggested dining visa card of 25 dollars or Venmo of same amount.
    CAD and/or software programs used will be disqualified. A photograph or scan of single sheet drawing accepted only.

Members are invited to apply to propose solutions and designs on the planned features of the class:

• Overall length between 30 and 32 feet (9 m and 9.60 m),
    • Minimum headroom of 1.75 m for one meter in front of the drop,
    • Draft limited to 2.20 m for a fixed keel (or 2.40 m for a lifting keel), with the possibility of reducing the draft during storage on land,
    • Cockpit for 5 to 6 adults,
    • Simple rigging with aluminium mast on the deck,
    • Basic set of sails: a mainsail equipped with 2 reefs, a genoa on snap hooks, a stormjib and a symmetrical or asymmetrical spinnaker on bowsprit,
    • No electronics in basic configuration (use of a waterproof tablet),
    • Furnishings: simple benches on counter-mould.
    • Central lifting point by strap.

Contest ends on October 23, 2021 12:00am Pacific.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-17-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: WBF Napkin Architects - hand draw and submit a single page drawing of your race b

Car-toppable?

Default Re: WBF Napkin Architects - hand draw and submit a single page drawing of your race b

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Car-toppable?
    <snort>
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I cannot abide the use of plumbing for a mast.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Car-toppable?
    only if your car is similar to this.

DAEB91AB-E0CA-4BB6-B5C8-A125220CEFD3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    <snort>
    I've carried a 70' boat that separates in half on top of a car.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

no bow sprit allowance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post

• Overall length between 30 and 32 feet (9 m and 9.60 m),
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

i cant work under these conditions!

Just so ya know; green crayon tastes best.

I need all my napkins for dinner time.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Paper towel or one of the fancy cloth napkins which I don't want to mess up.

Long sleeves work well. My wife gets a bit tetchy, but...

We're back in lockdown so toilet paper is a tradeable commodity, that's out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    We're back in lockdown so toilet paper is a tradeable commodity, that's out of the question.
    John just use non toxic ink or even old breakfast coffee that sat too long to enter your genius design. After you submit your entry, you and your family will still be able repurpose your brilliance to it’s original purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    no bow sprit allowance?[/LIST]
    bow sprits are allowed. The hull is 30 to 32. Feel free to add your de bergerac sprit to your designs if you feel it might add to the over all boat.

There were proposals called for, for a sort of limited spec one design 10 metre one design singlehander. The idea was to have a fleet and skippers would charter one for a race, and races would be held a couple of times a year. TransAtlantic, UK to South Africa and such.
    I submitted one, as did many, was pleased to be notified that mine was in the top group for consideration, that was reward in itself but sadly, although it was a good idea it didn't go ahead.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    There were proposals called for, for a sort of limited spec one design 10 metre one design singlehander. The idea was to have a fleet and skippers would charter one for a race, and races would be held a couple of times a year. TransAtlantic, UK to South Africa and such.
    I submitted one, as did many, was pleased to be notified that mine was in the top group for consideration, that was reward in itself but sadly, although it was a good idea it didn't go ahead.

John Welsford
    it is where I got the idea. I am sorry you did not get it. It would have been a goer.

Stupid hand drawings. Detail will be flushed out.

DA6E55D0-3293-4741-B194-F4D1476CDFF1.jpg

Had to at least use graph paper. A couple of goofs - the main hull is too wide by quite a bit. Not enough sail, I think. And I don't know very much about designing boats - although you can be reasonably confident it won't fall apart, anyway

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    it is where I got the idea. I am sorry you did not get it. It would have been a goer.
    Thanks Ted, it was a fun boat, a development of one of my Mini Transats, canting keel, lots of moveable appendages, a lot of attention to ergonomics and workability, I sailed one of the "Minis" in several long distance races and that experience went into the bigger boat.
    You cant win em all, but that would have been a great project to be involved in.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.