Default Re: Campstoves again

Not for back-packers, then.

F319C3E2-E61F-4D01-BD10-4BCF404AA92E.jpg
    I was just checking on MkII.

77F3C249-372D-4124-8EDF-8CF53F4D8CB1.jpg
    Alcohol burner. Dumb simple, like me.

That looks neat. More pics so I can tell what you’ve done?

9A833B36-5B00-48B2-9F21-FCDE45E1E825.jpg

E5AAFC51-C664-4391-AB6E-314858725692.jpg

Not much to show, really. It’s just an elaborate pot holder for a can stove. This type burner pressurized with no drama, and burns in a rosette pattern from the crown of vents, and in the center of the can, so it’s fairly even.

I don’t cook fancy, and when out, I most often cook in a thermos, anyway, so water boiling is most of what I do. The alcohol is fine, and relatively cheap. For now...

Anyway, I cut a hole in a cookie tins, sleeved it with a cut down bottle section, added a copper “reflector” ring I cut out and hammered from scrap, and stuck in a can burner.

It all worked out so some bent washers hold my pot and kettle perfectly, and sort of screen the wind.

The whole shebang will go into a wee galley box from 6mm ply, or can be stand alone.

It’s just time and junk.

But it's named "Mark." Which is really cool. And apparently the one in the picture has an older brother, also named "Mark."

You're usually more creative with language than that, but still, props.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Excuse me. miStove.0.2.

The first was an inverted tin, and just... well. We love him for what he taught us.

One like Steven’s. I love this guy. No idea what he’s on about, but his voice is soothing.

I love the little lid for your burner, Rob. I’m definitely stealing that for my little alcohol burners. I’m putting together a little travel kitchen for my daughter to take on a cross country ramble she’s planning for the summer. She’s really hoping Canada opens up so she can include some cross border friend visits. She gets her second vaccine shot in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Not for back-packers, then.
    Nor boaters. Unless it got carried to a shoreside campsite. The beauty of it is the oven, most campstoves are just a burner or two.

I agree. An oven is usually a Dutch oven, which is quite a different beast.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    F319C3E2-E61F-4D01-BD10-4BCF404AA92E.jpg
    I was just checking on MkII.

77F3C249-372D-4124-8EDF-8CF53F4D8CB1.jpg
    Alcohol burner. Dumb simple, like me.

stop being so modest! that stove looks awesome man.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I love the little lid for your burner, Rob. I’m definitely stealing that for my little alcohol burners. I’m putting together a little travel kitchen for my daughter to take on a cross country ramble she’s planning for the summer. She’s really hoping Canada opens up so she can include some cross border friend visits. She gets her second vaccine shot in a week.
    Yeah, I dig the OP. The kids are planning a trip right now, and that job would serve them well. They had a friend bail when they fully explained the trip.

They’ll be on the verge of wilderness area, with no services (except a decent cell signal, ironically, because of the geographical makeup, location of relatively nearby “civilization”, and the progress of technology), and bear protocols in full effect.

It is glorious country, and I’m so glad my kids choose on their own to spend “leisure” time in the high mountains with the last of the trees and the first of the big, big rocks.

I’m so jealous I’m not going.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Happy accident! I was cutting a van for maximum useful side material, to make the inner chimney. I noticed that cut so low, it retained strength, but also slipped right over the end. I took that a step further and taped the edges then jammed it on and slathered a thin coat of that stuff on the outside of the scuffed can, to add a small measure of “drop-ability”. A wrap of fiberglass drywall tape acts as an armature, if you’re feeling snazzy.

I also stuff them with carbon felt, to absorb the booze, now. With the cap and the felt, I think alcohol lasts longer, because I can snuff, and the cap helps with evaporation between firings.

Theoretically.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    stop being so modest! that stove looks awesome man.
    It’s what I do: make rocket ships from dirt and polish turds for all they’re worth.

It’s what I do: make rocket ships from dirt and polish turds for all they’re worth.

just keep posting the pics. i like your handy work.

About ten years ago on a backpacking trip I was cooking dinner and told my friend's daughter, who was in grade school at the time, that I am perfectly happy, at peace, when I am sitting on the ground in front of a backpacking stove cooking dinner. She didn't say anything, but last year, when she was 18 or so, the scene repeated itself and she reminded me of my comment. She had remembered it because she had thought it was a weird thing to think important, a roll-eyes 'whatever' moment, but now that she was older she understood what I was saying.

Anyway, I love to sit crosslegged on the ground in the woods in front of a roaring camp stove.

What are Polish turds worth anyways? And why would you need to import them?

At 15 seconds, how do you make a hole in stainless like that. I’m sure it involved the soap bubbles.

But seriously, my hole cutting efforts in stainless were miserable.

One of Rob's blunt end copper pipe piston fire starters is still on my to-do list.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    One of Rob's blunt end copper pipe piston fire starters is still on my to-do list.
    The thing that hinders me at first was the orientation of the tinder cup. I was jamming the cup into the cylinder, but it works much better to jam the cylinder down onto the piston, because when you remove the cylinder, the tinder is just there...

OK, I've missed something important. Which needs to be remedied.

84F18A8E-5CB1-44BC-8A4A-CDD8363D7B1B.jpg
    Heem. In the end of the dowel is a cup for tinder. Jam the tube onto the piston, and the tinder will glow with all the rage of a tiny ember.
    The swab looking deal is just that. A swab.

a-bloody-mazing. Youtube showed me what it's for, and presto. I'm gonna make one.

The pronunciation of polish changes, depending on whether it is Capitalized or not.

Where does the blunt go?

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    a-bloody-mazing. Youtube showed me what it's for, and presto. I'm gonna make one.
    If you coat the end of the dowel with cyanoacrylate, it will help make the tinder bowl even more airtight, and it resists the relatively low temperatures of this combustion.

I use petroleum jelly to lube the o-ring and bore, occasionally, but plain oil works. It just needs to be smooth and quick.

Char cloth works very well, but so does dyer lint from cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    OK, I've missed something important. Which needs to be remedied.

Me, too. I’m off to YouTube now, also.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    The pronunciation of polish changes, depending on whether it is Capitalized or not.
    Yeah, my slightly Polish ancestors would have reminded me of that too.

Cool stove, Rob. Do you have any pictures of it dis-assembled?

Pretty cool