X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jsjpd1
    mmmm....boat good.
    • Oct 2009

Re: Building Another Barge?

Interesting build Walt. Thanks for letting us follow along.

Jim
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Comment

• boat fan
      • Jul 2005

Here I am setting up temporary frames, tuning the bevels of the floors and establishing the chine. I wish I had plans to go by!
      I have told myself that many many times .....except I could not find any.

Thanks for the pictures . Great.

Comment

• waltwood
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by boat fan
        I have told myself that many many times .....except I could not find any.

Thanks for the pictures . Great.
        The last one I did I set up molds and built around them. I thought this one was so simple that I could build it this way and it is more difficult. Once I install the chine logs and sheer clamp I will have it under control.

Comment

• BrianM
          Wood-And-Boats
          • Sep 2002

You're providing fuel to my fire.... thanks!! (my 1/2 scale "James McKenna".) This one is 10' x 30', and sail powered.

Last edited by BrianM; 02-29-2016, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• waltwood
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BrianM
            You're providing fuel to my fire.... thanks!! (my 1/2 scale "James McKenna".) This one is 10' x 30', and sail powered.

That is cool! The sailing part should be interesting. I hope you build it.

Comment

• Figment
              Gluten Enthusiast
              • Dec 2001

Did the previous barge have the curved bow entry like that?
              I'm curious about the advantage of the curve vs a simple flat angle. (pardon my ignorance of barge design)
              People today will buy a car with square wheels as long as the steering wheel is heated.

Comment

• waltwood
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Figment
                Did the previous barge have the curved bow entry like that?
                I'm curious about the advantage of the curve vs a simple flat angle. (pardon my ignorance of barge design)
                Lower down on the bow an angle of entry closer to the water rides up over waves better but it is not practical to have it too low.
                The first barge had a 45 degree angle at the bow and that was a no go. When you hit a wave it would almost stop it. The next one that was on this forum had a pram bow and that works pretty good. I like the looks of a curved bow.

Comment

• MN Dave
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by waltwood
                  There has been very poor interest in this thread based on the number of views.
                  Marketing; "another barge?" looks like another 'wait and see if it grows legs' thread. Scow schooners worked bettebr /> It has lasted a while and the number of comments is getting to the point where it looks like it might be more interesting than it sounds, which it is.

I wish I had plans to go by!

The Scow Schooner Alma is a little bigger, but at least there are some plans for a vaguely similar boat that you can print out and hang on the wall. If anyone asks, just say that you are building a replica, but made a few changes.
                  https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.ca1505.sheet/?sp=4

Last edited by MN Dave; 03-02-2016, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Maximus71
                    • Jul 2011

There has been very poor interest in this thread based on the number of views.
                    For what it is worth, I subscribed to this thread early on and check it daily.

I love the build threads but more often than not, it seems like people lose steam and either stop building or stop posting or both.

I for one want to keep up with the progress of your barge. While I might not ever build one myself, I'm sure there is something I will learn that will be useful when I do build a boat. I almost always learn one thing or another on build threads that I can file away for my own build(s). Please do not stop posting.

Good luck with your build.

Comment

• boat fan
                      • Jul 2005

Lower down on the bow an angle of entry closer to the water rides up over waves better but it is not practical to have it too low.
                      The first barge had a 45 degree angle at the bow and that was a no go. When you hit a wave it would almost stop it. The next one that was on this forum had a pram bow and that works pretty good. I like the looks of a curved bow.
                      I think pram bows can look good too.

Comment

• BrianM
                        Wood-And-Boats
                        • Sep 2002

Isn't this particular hull shape really just a skip-jack with bow sawn off?

Comment

• boat fan
                          • Jul 2005

Yes , pretty much Brian.
                          You could do the same with a flat bottom too of course.

Comment

• waltwood
                            • Dec 2011

That is an attractive vessel.
                            I did the pram bow last time so I was trying something different.

Comment

• waltwood
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by MN Dave
                              Marketing; "another barge?" looks like another 'wait and see if it grows legs' thread. Scow schooners worked bettebr /> It has lasted a while and the number of comments is getting to the point where it looks like it might be more interesting than it sounds, which it is.

The Scow Schooner Alma is a little bigger, but at least there are some plans for a vaguely similar boat that you can print out and hang on the wall. If anyone asks, just say that you are building a replica, but made a few changes.
                              https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.ca1505.sheet/?sp=4

The title of my thread did not come across as it was intended. It was supposed to be "I am doing this again? Why would I put myself through that ". I saw that the title "Another Barge?" was not making it on the first day I posted and attempted to change the title and could not do it.

As far as no plans, I have designed and built many houses, furniture and lots of other stuff and they have come out good. A boat is complicated and a scary thing to design. Even one as simple as this has really challenged me. If the sheer looks funky or you have a flat spot in it the hull it can ruin the looks of the boat. I am beyond the point of needing plans but sure wish I had them.

There seems to be more interest than I thought and I am going to keep building and posting.
                              Last edited by waltwood; 03-02-2016, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                                Old Grey Inquisitive One
                                • Oct 2008

The title of my thread did not come across as it was intended. It was supposed to be "I am doing this again? Why would I put myself through that ". I saw that the title "Another Barge?" was not making it on the first day I posted and attempted to change the title and could not do it.

As far as no plans, I have designed and built many houses, furniture and lots of other stuff and they have come out good. A boat is complicated and a scary thing to design. Even one as simple as this has really challenged me. If the sheer looks funky or you have a flat spot in it the hull it can ruin the looks of the boat. I am beyond the point of needing plans but sure wish I had them.
                                If you still want to change the title, click on the menu "Administrative" and move the thread to another page. That will allow you to change the title. You then move it back here.

Sheer can be tricky, especially building upside down as you are. You will probably end up bent double looking at her from between your legs.
                                It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
                                The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

Working...