Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Another Barge?

Default Re: Building Another Barge?

You are welcome!

Well I am working on this almost every day. There are tasks that take a long time but don't show much progress such as doubling the sheer clamp and chines. We have finished doing that on the starboard side. The alternating 3 -1/4" ply layers with 3/4" AWC at the bow worked out good.

For 2 days we have been preparing stock for the frames. The wood is old growth pine that I am sure will be naturally rot resistant. It is very dense and came from several sources over the years. The frames will be 2" X 3". I think there are 34 of them.

I don't take pictures when using epoxy or polyester resin. Good way to ruin a camera and it takes enough concentration as it is. I am bonding the 2 layers of AWC with the layer of fiberglass tape in between with West System Epoxy. I have been using West for 26 years and they have always been good with technical support.
    The weather has been unusually cool but the bowshed warms up nicely if it is sunny. One problem though is that the humidity is high at about 66 to 70 percent. If I run the fan to lower the humidity the temperature drops too much. West System assures me that humidity does not effect epoxy when bonding. It can affect epoxy when clear coating or glass reinforcement. Seems to be working good. Every other product I use is affected by humidity so I was pleased to know epoxy is not so I could continue work.

This is a great build!

Great build and I am enjoying watching, I think what you are building is like a garvey with a sled runner bow.

Rick

Safe to assume it'll take more than a few old guys and a case of beer to roll that over?

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    Safe to assume it'll take more than a few old guys and a case of beer to roll that over?
    You got that right!
    I wasn't going to worry about rolling it over until close to the time when it was ready but enough people have asked me how I was going to do it that I am thinking about it now.
    I did one with an excavator but it was expensive to have it delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_NJ View Post
    Great build and I am enjoying watching, I think what you are building is like a garvey with a sled runner bow.

Rick
    Thanks. We call them scows but I hear the term garvey all the time from the Jersey area.

Got any Amish around?

That is crazy!

Chines and sheer clamp all finished and 1 side beveled.
    We cut 30 limber holes with the router. If there is one thing I have learned from this Forum it is the need for limber holes. I have actually learned many things from this forum.

I use to buy router bits that I liked hoping I would have a use for it one day and got to use this one for the first time. It is a cool bit. One pass and done.

This is the jig that guides it.

Many limber holes.

I also had some Labs help today.
    The big Chocalate is mine and the Blacks are my sons.

Your barge is starting to take on a substantial feel Walt. Nice job.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Today I installed all the frames on the port side. They look good but the pictures don't. The boat is not in the center of the building because I have wood stacked on the other side so it is hard to take a picture on the narrow side.
    By the way, I read a WB artricle years ago about guidelines for a space to build a boat in and the minimum recomendation was twice the beam and one and half times the length. It just happened that my space is that size and it was a good guideline. I know you all build them in your attic, porch and wherever I just saying that was just right. It could always be bigger but I would not want it smaller. My last project the building was one and a half times the beam and 6 feet longer than the length and that was too small!

Last edited by waltwood; 04-24-2016 at 07:13 PM.

Nice, Walt.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Loving this build, man.

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    By the way, I read a WB artricle years ago about guidelines for a space to build a boat in and the minimum recomendation was twice the beam and one and half times the length. It just happened that my space is that size and it was a good guideline.
    .... and with respect to tapered structures like stimson sheds and boats taller than a barge, it's CRITICAL to bear in mind that you want that "twice the beam" at deck height
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Yes, nice Walt, and I appreciate your taking the time to share.

Today I installed all the frames on the port side. They look good but the pictures don't.
    I don't know, the picture looks pretty good to me.

I'm cheering you on from a distance. I don't get a lot of time online lately, but your thread is the first thing I look at when I do. Great progress!

I would rather show photos than the narrative but I got to explain what I am doing.

We have been working on this trailer for a few days. It will be used to move the boat back in the bowshed after moving it out on the sleds and flipping it over. Hopefully it will launch the boat when completed but I don't want to get too far ahead.

I have to fill in the areas of the frames to make them flush with the outside. Those pieces are milled and ready the fasten.

The filler piece at the transom installed. It needed to be beveled. Everthing has the be beveled!

Frames on the port side ready to go in.

A view of both boat projects that are featured on this forum.

Do you have a link to the other build?I must have missed it.
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

I like your trailer! I am really enjoying your build Walt, nice work.

Just caught up with this thread, it's looking great, Walt. You really do nice work.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    Do you have a link to the other build?I must have missed it.
    There is not much going on with the other project but here.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ght=chesapeake

There is not much going on with the other project but here.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ght=chesapeake

Thanks Walt.I'll have a chance to catch up before you start back on that project.

Appreciate all the nice comments.
    Today it was drizzling outside so we worked on the boat for about 6 hours.

Installed all the frame filler pieces on the port side. Screwed and epoxied them. They almost look like one piece.

Installed all the frames on other side.

Lots of gluing surface on those fillers, looking good!

How come no limbers on the stringers?

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Lots of gluing surface on those fillers, looking good!

How come no limbers on the stringers?
    They are only 1 1/2 " thick so I figured water would roll over top and notching would weaken them.
    Maybe they do need limber holes.

From what I've seen of your building skills , and considering how I think you're going to build it, no water will ever get in there anyway, except condensation. Good ventilation, probably forced, and wood preservative are probably much more important.

Have you had a look inside the last barge to see what's happening below the decking? That might give you some ideas. Please don't think I'm being critical Walt, I just have a lot of ideas, and I like to share.

No, I am open to any suggestions.
    My son went in the bilge of the last barge about a month ago and said there was a couple of inches of water in it. I think everything was good other than that. They take a few waves over the bow and hatches get left open sometime.

If you do choose to route the stringers I don't think strength loss will be an issue. For one thing the limbers would be best located at the low points where the stringers meet the frames, where the frames are bearing almost the entire load. For another you'll be gluing plywood over the stringers creating a girder. If you route out 3/4 inch limbers you'll have 3/4 inch of SYP, 3/4 inch of air and 3/4 inch of ply. You will have removed the material from the "neutral" area of the web, which has only minimal effect on the strength.

We have been working on this trailer for a few days. It will be used to move the boat back in the bowshed after moving it out on the sleds and flipping it over.
    Hopefully it will launch the boat when completed but I don't want to get too far ahead.

More details on the trailer please.. did you scratch built it?
    What hub-axles are you using?

I'm gonna need one of each.. (barge + trailer)....

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    More details on the trailer please.. did you scratch built it?
    What hub-axles are you using?

I'm gonna need one of each.. (barge + trailer)....
    I had a 27' boat that they were charging me $500 one way to move to my property at the start and end of the boating season. I came up with the idea of having a trailer built that I could do it myself. I traveled to every marina from here to New Jersey to look at boat transporters to get ideas. Most places had built their own version rather than buying one. One from brownell is $55,000 for the smallest one. Hydraulic of course.
    The plan for it is mine, with the idea like many of the other designs that it would be open to be able to back it under a boat. A freind who is a welder built it. It has 4 pipes that jack stands drop in that are not shown. It has 2 removable and adjustable cross supports that the keel can rest on. They are half torsion axles with 8 lug hubs. It is about the heaviest I could find. I think it will carry about 10,000 pounds. It has not paid for itself yet but at least I can move a boat whenever I need to and not wait for the boat haulers schedule.

A pic of the crossbars and one the jackstands and the hub- axle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    If you do choose to route the stringers I don't think strength loss will be an issue. For one thing the limbers would be best located at the low points where the stringers meet the frames, where the frames are bearing almost the entire load. For another you'll be gluing plywood over the stringers creating a girder. If you route out 3/4 inch limbers you'll have 3/4 inch of SYP, 3/4 inch of air and 3/4 inch of ply. You will have removed the material from the "neutral" area of the web, which has only minimal effect on the strength.
    In house construction building codes do not allow notching of a joist on the top or the bottom. It is allowed in the middle third of the joist only. And they have plywood on top of them. It would seem like this is the same principle although it is a boat.
    Last edited by waltwood; 04-30-2016 at 04:44 PM.

I have been fretting about putting intermediate support between the 3 x 10 floors which are about 44" apart. The stringers are 2 x 6's laid flat perpendicular to the floors about 18" on center. Since the start of the framing I have been back and forth about placing a 4 x 4 on the center span of the stringers. Most people that have looked at the project did not think it was needed but there was some deflection in the stringers.
    I ended up placing a 2 x 6 on edge between each floor lag bolted to the stringers. Some online comments said it was over framed before I did this but there will be much force on the bottom.
    The new 2 x 6's will also be part of the support for the sole so I am glad I put them in now. There would not be a good way to fasten these to the stringers after the planking is on.

Stout.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

I hate to BARGE in,but that is some serious framing.

I am pushing to get ready for plywood. One would not think there would be so many things to do on a simple boat. The plywood is ordered but I don't have a delivery date. I need three thicknesses of ply. I had to buy a unit of 3/8" and I only need 6 sheets for the hull but I can use the rest for the side decks of this boat , all the decks of my other boat project and who knows what. I need 11 sheets of 3/4" and that was the number of sheets in a unit so that worked out great. The thinner the ply the more of them in a unit.

Bow chine on plane with 2 x 4's and epoxied for durability.

Bolted in 3 crospalls that had to be strategically placed. They are temporary and will help hold its shape during rollover and prior to placing the inwales or whatever the framing member running inboard of the frames is called.

I had some extra help today. This is my Grandson and he is 2 1/2 years old. He seemed interested in the project.

Lucky kid to get to grow up around boat building.

Got his own bottle of Mateus I see.

This is what has been done. Cut 30 limber holes in stringers in addition to the 30 in the floors.

Took delivery of 31 sheets fir Marine ply.

Used my festool TS55 tracksaw to cut 3/4" ply for transom. It is an 11 degree bevel on top & bottom and 3 degree on outside edges.

Ply all screwed off on transom. I am epoxying all edges of ply.

Was ply also epoxied to frame, what is your finish schedule for ply, glass, epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by capehorn3 View Post
    Was ply also epoxied to frame, what is your finish schedule for ply, glass, epoxy?
    I am bonding the ply to the treated parts of the boat with PL Premium and the sides which are being attached to Cedar with epoxy.
    I have not worked out the 'glass schedule yet.

First piece of ply planking for the sides fitted. Glad I didn't use 3/4" ply here because of the bend it took. It is about all you can get out of 1/2". Also the frames, sheer clamp, and chine spacing is close enough together that it does not span more than 18" in either direction. Did I also mention I am going to fiberglass the mess out of this? Ply on the sides does not break on frames. It leaves a hard spot.

There is a 3/4" butt block that attaches the ends of each piece together.

What screws are you using? Man that's going to take a lot of epoxy and sand paper. I wonder if a floor sander rental would be good for bottom?

What screws are you using? Man that's going to take a lot of epoxy and sand paper. I wonder if a floor sander rental would be good for bottom?
    Now there's a novel idea.I was thinking a really long, long board with belt sander sanding belt cut and stapled at the ends of the long board.

I am using stainless steel screws for all of the ply and I think I will use some SS nails on the bottom.
    I think a floor sander could be too aggressive for the bottom but it might work. I want the sides to be fair but I am not as concerned about the bottom.

I am not going to show the installation of every ply panel but I am pumped. It feels like I am making some progress although I can only put on one piece a day.

Great seeing this one come together. Thanks for sharing it, Walt.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

One piece a day? How long is your day, 30 minutes?

One piece a day? How long is your day, 30 minutes?
    It takes about 2 1/2 hours to fit, layout for fasteners, epoxy and clamp and screw one panel. The limiting factor is that I only have 28 of one size clamp that it takes to fasten a panel.

I just love following your builds! I am looking forward to seeing what type of 'house' you will build. Houseboats along this idea were common on the Jersey shore in the early 1900's. Over the years a number of them were pulled ashore and blocked up to become permanent summer cottages.