Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 112021

Thread: Building Another Barge?

Default Re: Building Another Barge?

She's sure gonna look purdy hang there on the back of the boat.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Nice, progress, Walt.

Thanks for sharing all of this. The best to you and yours this Christmas, sir.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Thanks Kevin the best to you also.

I really like this build, everything is so tidy, well thought out, and takes as long as it takes.
    New Zealand isn't particularly house boat friendly, so they aren't that common here, but my wife and i hired one with two other couples, for a week on the Murray River over in Australia.
    It was a really enjoyable low-stress way to go messing around in a damn large boat (around 30 tonnes, and 200+ square metres over two levels), and I can see the attraction, given the right sort of water. I bet you'll make a lot of great memories with this girl.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

I have you fooled with the well thought out part. I built most of it by the seat of my pants and did a poor job of planning for the mechanical. I guess it will all work out but even today I learned of another electrical part I didn't know I needed that's going to be difficult to find a location.

The area we live in is ideal to use this houseboat. You can cruise all day and never go in water deeper than 6 feet. There are some nice places to sit behind islands and in coves however the Bay can be very rough and you don't want to be caught out there on a bad day. Quite different than a lake or river.
    Last edited by waltwood; 12-16-2018 at 03:06 PM.

We have really had wet conditions with rain about every 4 days. Mildew is forming on the boat and I run the fans when the weather allows but it's very wet in the bowshed.

The 2nd photo shows the 18 gallon gas tank mounted on the wing of the outboard motor bracket. I need to rant about the gas tank. I think it cost about $180 and When I opened the box it had silicone or some kind of sealant dripped everywhere around the access openings. Also looks like the tank have been hit with sandpaper in random places. It probably has about $4 worth of materials in it. I was getting over that when I went to mount it with the aluminum brackets. There are 4 of them and only 2 places on the tank for them. After installing 2 of the brackets, the tank can be moved in several directions including upward. I got a gas tank strap but did not think I would have to use it with these small little pieces of aluminum which added about $20.
    The 3rd picture is the fuel line barb mounted in the transom. This was a very difficult job due to the thickness of the transom. I was going to drill a large hole on the inside so it could be accessed to install a nut in the fuel line but a large hole might weaken the transom so we drilled 1 1/2" hole. It took 2 hours to get the nut on the inside. I wanted no fuel on the interior of the boat for safety and convenience but I overlooked the fuel filter. I am doing a rig similar to pontoon boats, don't judge me, but not putting the fuel filter outside on the bracket because I am told they have problems with them. The 4th picture is a fuel filter and its $80 mounting bracket under the transom. The fuel line is coming from the tank thru the transom into the filter and then thru the rigging tube back to the motor with all the other harnesses and cables. Hope it will all have a clean look when its done. I think it will. All controls were just sitting in the console and now they are all thru bolted. Ready to get this phase of the project completed.

Last edited by waltwood; 12-22-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Last picture showing fuel barb through transom on outside.

Just found this thread. Great job! I'm jealous of you real carpenter types.

I think I started my glued plywood dinghy about the same time you began this giant, lovely barge. Keep up the good work!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Thanks, I'm a little down on the project now but I know it will get better when I get back to the woodwork. Good luck with your project.

Where are you going to place the primer bulb?

Quote Originally Posted by capehorn3 View Post
    Where are you going to place the primer bulb?
    It will be outside near the tank.

The two guys dropped by to do a little work on the motor. Everything is hooked up but the wires to the battery.

Yesterday my son removed the end of the bowshed which is required for removing the boat. It's the first time I've really seen the boat from the bow. It is kind of square looking but it is after all, a houseboat.

There's just enough curve to make it a boat instead of a floating box. Needs something on that leading wall to break up the white. A splash of color or something. Looks great Walt.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Thanks. The siding color is kind of bold so it won't look all white when I get it out of the bowshed.

Man that's nice!

Looks like it could use a bench with dry storage under below those windows. What do you think? I know, "Just what I need, more work."

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    The two guys dropped by to do a little work on the motor. Everything is hooked up but the wires to the battery.

Yesterday my son removed the end of the bowshed which is required for removing the boat. It's the first time I've really seen the boat from the bow. It is kind of square looking but it is after all, a houseboat.

Head turner.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Nice looking houseboat, eh!

Peace,
    Robert

Dynamite, Walt!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Man that's nice!

Looks like it could use a bench with dry storage under below those windows. What do you think? I know, "Just what I need, more work."
    Thanks all. Gib, a storage box/bench on the bow would add to the looks and be functional. I never thought of it. I think it would be a bit of a challenge given the angles at the forward part of the house. My list says I have 17 things to do before I launch it. I'm sure that will get longer.

Somehow Walt I don't see you being challenged by that.

Two days of rain and cold weather brought us in the shop. We built some neat trusses for a storage shed my son is building.

This is a neat table called a Paulk work bench.It is a great design. I paid for plans and made one. I had to move it so I thought you all would be interested how it was built. The top is made is 2' x 8'units. They are very light and strong. The holes in the top are for sticking a clamp thru but I don't use them. I use it primarily for cutting sheet goods and assembling.

Trusses here have to be engineer approved.

An assembly table is an absolute necessity for me.

Those holes in the top don't look big enough to accept a clamp. You must mean the openings in the sides, yes?

And how on earth do you keep the dust down as well as you have? Everything in my shop is covered with cedar dust, despite my always using the 3HP 4 bagger dust collection system. When it's time to clean up the best I've been able to do is walk around blowing it off with a hair drier on cold or the compressor hose in one hand and the 4" dust collection hose in the other, all of which is so awkward that I seldom bother.

Our trusses have to be engineered too unless the building is less than 200 square feet and this one is.
    The holes in the top work with the Festool clamp which is kind of flat on the top. I don't have one to show because it's on the job.
    As far as the dust, I clean pretty often and really don't do that much work anymore. Your shop is really nice.