Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101920

Thread: Building Another Barge?

Default Re: Building Another Barge?

This thread is incredible. I'm glad I'm self employed because any other boss would have fired me for my production the last hour. I am assuming you are somewher on the Chesapeake right? I saw a barge/shanty/whatever you call it boat up in Maine and I didn't take a picture, but the folks on it looked so relaxed! Is there a target launch date or are you like me and on no real schedule?
    Take Care,
    Steve W

Honeoye Falls, New York
    Building a B & B Core Sound 20 Mark III "Jazz Hands"
    Spindrift 11N Suzy J Build Pictures
    A little video of the Suzy J and my youngest son

Yes I am on what is called the Lower Bay about 50 miles from the southern part and interestingly the widest part which is 19 1/2 miles. There is nothing but shoal waters to the north of us on our side of the Bay. This is where we enjoy cruising and the houseboat will be good for that. As far as completion, I am hoping for October but after trying to retire for a year and a half my Son and I have gone into the construction business and I am busier than I have been in 5 years making the houseboat less of a priority.
    Walt
    Last edited by waltwood; 08-01-2018 at 06:40 PM.

I cut several controls into the console. Compass, shift/throttle, tach and switch.

I see a good place for a brown bottle holder.

I've decided to slow down on my charge to get my sailboat done. I'll finish it by spring. I've been 75% complete for 6 months if you know what I mean. I'm building a B & B Core Sound 20 Mark III for some trailer sailing adventures. When I get down your way someday I'd like to see her in person. Beautiful!
    Take Care,
    Steve W

Honeoye Falls, New York
    Building a B & B Core Sound 20 Mark III "Jazz Hands"
    Spindrift 11N Suzy J Build Pictures
    A little video of the Suzy J and my youngest son

Since no work has been done on the houseboat I thought I would show what I was doing. I mentioned in a post above that I had re-entered the construction business with my Son and our first major job is building a shop. People in this forum seem to like shops and shop construction so I thought I would post it. The owner plans to build furniture in it. It is going to a very tall building for its footprint. I will post another picture later.

Hi Walt;

Great thread! Amazing level of craftsmanship !

One of the interesting things I learned when building a new aft canopy for MAKOTO was that if the rib curvature is the same, then you have two choices. Drop the center line as the beam narrows, or let the edges flare up. Like most classic vessels, I chose the upward flare.

In case you have not seen, I am renovating a 45 foot 1960's houseboat in the Sacramento Delta. The roof on these boats was made flat, and of course, despite 30+ years of various roofing goop, they leak. I am planning to strip off the existing roofing down tot he sheathing, and put curved "joists" on top of the existing joists and sheathing. I'll then re-sheath it, and use a corrugated steel roof covering (matched the other structures in the area, sheds heat and lasts a long time inboxed the dry heat the delta).

I plan to reuse the concave waste from cutting the convex joists to use as ceiling joists to curve the interior ceiling to match.

My question is related to the amount of curve you used. You mentioned that you used 2x4's and a 30 foot radius. By my calculations a 30 foot radius would net an edge to center height variation of about 7 inches. How do you get that from a 2x4?

My span is 18 feet (to get the drip edge off the deck to avoid rot on the siding and deck (a problem with these boats). So a 2x4 that I could re-use the waste from would need to have a rise of only about 3 1/2 inches (if I am careful with the off-cut). I might change that to 2x6, and do a 4 1/2 inch rise.

Thoughts?

Scott
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

I always enjoy seeing Makoto a very handsome boat.

I am not sure what I said but my roof beams span about 9'6", they are 2 x 6 tapered to 3 3/4" on the outsides 2 foot on center. Surprisingly there is not much deflection due to the 1 inch thick Core cell on top that is glassed on both sides. From being a house builder I know spanning a 2 x 4 18' is way undersized. The Building Code says a Spruce 2 x 4 16" on center can only span 8'7" when used on a roof. I don't know if this answers your question.

Walt

Shop progress.

Looks like a nice shop walt. Will there only be the one entrance or is there another way to load in material and machines? Do you ever use the zip system sheeting on any of your projects? I see that becoming more popular in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    I always enjoy seeing Makoto a very handsome boat.

I am not sure what I said but my roof beams span about 9'6", they are 2 x 6 tapered to 3 3/4" on the outsides 2 foot on center. Surprisingly there is not much deflection due to the 1 inch thick Core cell on top that is glassed on both sides. From being a house builder I know spanning a 2 x 4 18' is way undersized. The Building Code says a Spruce 2 x 4 16" on center can only span 8'7" when used on a roof. I don't know if this answers your question.

Walt
    Sorry. I wasn't clear.

The existing roof is 12.5 feet between walls. The eaves go out an additional 18 inches on both sides for a total span of just under 16 feet.

One issue is that the eaves end short of the deck, so water drips down onto the deck, instead of into the water.

In addition, the existing 2x6 roof is flat, and this it leaks (40 years old...).

My plan is to remove the roofing materials to expose the sheathing, remove the fascia boards, cut back the sheathing at the edges so I can add extension 2x6s to extend the eaves out past the decks, and add crowned 2x4s on TOP of the existing roof to get the curve. SO the 2x4s are not load bearing, they are there to create the curve so the roof will drain.

I was then planning to sheath the 2x4s, out down tar paper and attach curved corrugated steel panels for the new roof.

My question for your project had to do with the radius of curvature of your roof. But you have answered that with your numbers. It sounds as of the overall rise is about 2 inches from the edge to the middle.

Scott
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

Quote Originally Posted by Trowbrid View Post
    Looks like a nice shop walt. Will there only be the one entrance or is there another way to load in material and machines? Do you ever use the zip system sheeting on any of your projects? I see that becoming more popular in this area.
    There are 3 entrances. a 4' door shown, a 3' door on the other end and the dormer has a door for bringing lumber inside.
    There is a garage on the rear that has not been framed yet. I have not used the Zip system because I like Advanteck but everyone loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cogeniac View Post
    Sorry. I wasn't clear.

The existing roof is 12.5 feet between walls. The eaves go out an additional 18 inches on both sides for a total span of just under 16 feet.

One issue is that the eaves end short of the deck, so water drips down onto the deck, instead of into the water.

In addition, the existing 2x6 roof is flat, and this it leaks (40 years old...).

My plan is to remove the roofing materials to expose the sheathing, remove the fascia boards, cut back the sheathing at the edges so I can add extension 2x6s to extend the eaves out past the decks, and add crowned 2x4s on TOP of the existing roof to get the curve. SO the 2x4s are not load bearing, they are there to create the curve so the roof will drain.

I was then planning to sheath the 2x4s, out down tar paper and attach curved corrugated steel panels for the new roof.

My question for your project had to do with the radius of curvature of your roof. But you have answered that with your numbers. It sounds as of the overall rise is about 2 inches from the edge to the middle.

Scott
    No I did not understand that you wanted to know how much curvature was in the roof. It's not much but I think it will shed off water good.

I built a houseboat 20 years ago that I put roof overhangs so the water would clear the deck and it cause a problem with windage. It was used in a very windy area and when the wind blew from the side it would list. The people I sold it to moved it to the ocean where the conditions were even worse. On this build I decided to make the overhangs minimal but adequate and just deal with the rain water landing on the decks. I gather from what you were saying, your house boat is not in a windy area.