Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Another Barge?

Default Re: Building Another Barge?

Did the previous barge have the curved bow entry like that?
    I'm curious about the advantage of the curve vs a simple flat angle. (pardon my ignorance of barge design)
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Did the previous barge have the curved bow entry like that?
    I'm curious about the advantage of the curve vs a simple flat angle. (pardon my ignorance of barge design)
    Lower down on the bow an angle of entry closer to the water rides up over waves better but it is not practical to have it too low.
    The first barge had a 45 degree angle at the bow and that was a no go. When you hit a wave it would almost stop it. The next one that was on this forum had a pram bow and that works pretty good. I like the looks of a curved bow.

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    There has been very poor interest in this thread based on the number of views.
    Marketing; "another barge?" looks like another 'wait and see if it grows legs' thread. Scow schooners worked better
    It has lasted a while and the number of comments is getting to the point where it looks like it might be more interesting than it sounds, which it is.

I wish I had plans to go by!

The Scow Schooner Alma is a little bigger, but at least there are some plans for a vaguely similar boat that you can print out and hang on the wall. If anyone asks, just say that you are building a replica, but made a few changes.
    https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.ca1505.sheet/?sp=4

Last edited by MN Dave; 03-02-2016 at 01:01 PM.

There has been very poor interest in this thread based on the number of views.
    For what it is worth, I subscribed to this thread early on and check it daily.

I love the build threads but more often than not, it seems like people lose steam and either stop building or stop posting or both.

I for one want to keep up with the progress of your barge. While I might not ever build one myself, I'm sure there is something I will learn that will be useful when I do build a boat. I almost always learn one thing or another on build threads that I can file away for my own build(s). Please do not stop posting.

Good luck with your build.

Lower down on the bow an angle of entry closer to the water rides up over waves better but it is not practical to have it too low.
    The first barge had a 45 degree angle at the bow and that was a no go. When you hit a wave it would almost stop it. The next one that was on this forum had a pram bow and that works pretty good. I like the looks of a curved bow.
    I think pram bows can look good too.

Quote Originally Posted by boat fan View Post

Isn't this particular hull shape really just a skip-jack with bow sawn off?

Yes , pretty much Brian.
    You could do the same with a flat bottom too of course.

Quote Originally Posted by boat fan View Post

That is an attractive vessel.
    I did the pram bow last time so I was trying something different.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    Marketing; "another barge?" looks like another 'wait and see if it grows legs' thread. Scow schooners worked better
    It has lasted a while and the number of comments is getting to the point where it looks like it might be more interesting than it sounds, which it is.

The Scow Schooner Alma is a little bigger, but at least there are some plans for a vaguely similar boat that you can print out and hang on the wall. If anyone asks, just say that you are building a replica, but made a few changes.
    https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.ca1505.sheet/?sp=4

The title of my thread did not come across as it was intended. It was supposed to be "I am doing this again? Why would I put myself through that ". I saw that the title "Another Barge?" was not making it on the first day I posted and attempted to change the title and could not do it.

As far as no plans, I have designed and built many houses, furniture and lots of other stuff and they have come out good. A boat is complicated and a scary thing to design. Even one as simple as this has really challenged me. If the sheer looks funky or you have a flat spot in it the hull it can ruin the looks of the boat. I am beyond the point of needing plans but sure wish I had them.

There seems to be more interest than I thought and I am going to keep building and posting.
    Last edited by waltwood; 03-02-2016 at 05:19 PM.

The title of my thread did not come across as it was intended. It was supposed to be "I am doing this again? Why would I put myself through that ". I saw that the title "Another Barge?" was not making it on the first day I posted and attempted to change the title and could not do it.

As far as no plans, I have designed and built many houses, furniture and lots of other stuff and they have come out good. A boat is complicated and a scary thing to design. Even one as simple as this has really challenged me. If the sheer looks funky or you have a flat spot in it the hull it can ruin the looks of the boat. I am beyond the point of needing plans but sure wish I had them.
    If you still want to change the title, click on the menu "Administrative" and move the thread to another page. That will allow you to change the title. You then move it back here.

Sheer can be tricky, especially building upside down as you are. You will probably end up bent double looking at her from between your legs.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    If you still want to change the title, click on the menu "Administrative" and move the thread to another page. That will allow you to change the title. You then move it back here.

Sheer can be tricky, especially building upside down as you are. You will probably end up bent double looking at her from between your legs.
    Thanks. I thought I tried the Administrative thing and could not get it to work. At this point I think I will leave the title.
    I can't get far enough back to sight the sheer because of the building and I am contorting myself by looking upside down.

Thanks. I thought I tried the Administrative thing and could not get it to work. At this point I think I will leave the title.
    I can't get far enough back to sight the sheer because of the building and I am contorting myself by looking upside down.
    It won't look very dignified, but the best way is to stand with your back to the boat and bend double so that you are looking back between your knees. Just make sure that there is no one with a camera handy.
    Or you can use your phone to take pictures, and hold the phone upside down

That is a good idea.

Great thread, thanks for keeping it going. Remember the real value of the thread may not be to the spectator flotilla of armchair admirals and keyboard kaptains that read forums and post every day, but to someone looking for know-how or inspiration years from now. It is totally worth it to document your build in my opinion (whatever that is worth). Best wishes with the project!

Quote Originally Posted by bwd View Post
    Great thread, thanks for keeping it going. Remember the real value of the thread may not be to the spectator flotilla of armchair admirals and keyboard kaptains that read forums and post every day, but to someone looking for know-how or inspiration years from now. It is totally worth it to document your build in my opinion (whatever that is worth). Best wishes with the project!
    Thanks and I didn't think of it that way.

I love your previous thread. It was a definite morning treat each day.
    I like solid builds like yours asci could see myself building them.
    I fancy a escargot style build as my next boat.
    Cheers james

Spent very much time changing length and beveling floors (athwartship framing) in 2 directions which will determine the curve of chine and sheer as viewed in plan. I am finally satisfied with the shape and fairness as the chine log lays against them. Temporary frames are securely braced to the building jig.

We planed the juniper for the chine logs and sheer clamps and join them end to end with short gussets. These will be 2 layers and staggered at the joints so these gussets are just for setting up the first layer in one piece. The first chine log has been fastened.

Boy that is a lot of lumber compared to the boat I built. Have made up your mind what you are going to use it for after you are done ? This is a interesting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete E View Post
    Boy that is a lot of lumber compared to the boat I built. Have made up your mind what you are going to use it for after you are done ? This is a interesting thread.
    Wanted to make sure you realize that about one half of this is the building jig and not a part of the boat.
    I am definitely going to build a houseboat. I am having a difficult time explaining to people that the sole will be recessed down in the hull and that will require a strong frame. Also with a 12' beam it is different than the plans I see for many houseboats.

Wanted to make sure you realize that about one half of this is the building jig and not a part of the boat.
    I am definitely going to build a houseboat. I am having a difficult time explaining to people that the sole will be recessed down in the hull and that will require a strong frame. Also with a 12' beam it is different than the plans I see for many houseboats.
    Yes indeed Walt , 12 ft beam is a significant difference.

As far as explaining that sole , you know what you are doing , so .....carry on !

Good to see you posting .

My computer is out of service so I can't post. Phone and other devices too hard to use. Plan to post when it is fixed.

Don't worry, this is worth waiting for.

Walt, Glad to see you taking the time to take pictures and post them here. I just recently finished building a 29" gaff cutter, and would have loved to documented it here as I progressed. But with a full time job and working 30 hours a week on the boat there was simply no time. My hat is off to you. I know what an effort it is.

Richard Beck
    Building a 29' North Sea

Quote Originally Posted by richbeck View Post
    Walt, Glad to see you taking the time to take pictures and post them here. I just recently finished building a 29" gaff cutter, and would have loved to documented it here as I progressed. But with a full time job and working 30 hours a week on the boat there was simply no time. My hat is off to you. I know what an effort it is.

Richard Beck
    Building a 29' North Sea
    Thanks for that. It is even harder for me because I have the computer skills of a 3 year old and I don't seem to get better with it.

I have been stumped on how to frame the outer sections of the bow. I tried different materials and only thin ply would take a bend in two directions- a bend and a twist. I decided on 1/4" marine fir laminated in many layers. I will epoxy the layers together and coat the edges.

I made a template out of used paneling which you will see more of later when I build a mock-up of the house. Using a trimmer with a guide bushing I can make repetitive pieces that will make up this bow section. I love routers!

I like your projects and your craftsmanship Walt, and of course I'm enjoying this one.

Hope you're planning to stagger the plywood lam joints over the stem(s) to bottom joint, for the strength of it.

I don't see anywhere that looks like you'll have to torture the ply into a concave or convex shape, don't know what you mean. Looks like you're producing all of the stems from the same pattern, and the bottom looks perfectly flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    I like your projects and your craftsmanship Walt, and of course I'm enjoying this one.

Hope you're planning to stagger the plywood lam joints over the stem(s) to bottom joint, for the strength of it.

I don't see anywhere that looks like you'll have to torture the ply into a concave or convex shape, don't know what you mean. Looks like you're producing all of the stems from the same pattern, and the bottom looks perfectly flat.
    The ply does bend in at the top and in the other direction in toward center. I think future pictures will clarify this. I do plan on staggering the joint where it meets the straighter part of the chine.

Completed more bow framing. These 2 x 4's are attached to the curved part of the bow framing with 3 1/2" screws. They were a challenge in that the ends were all beveled and angled differrent and had to be the same on each side. The first layer of the ply chines has been epoxied at each end.

^ looking good.

What bwd said. Worth continuing. Please.

I am bonding 7 layers of 1/4" marine fir ply together to form the curved forward part of the chine. I started off only doing one layer at a time and have moved to two. The last three layers overlap the sheer clamp.

I am bonding 7 layers of 1/4" marine fir ply together to form the curved forward part of the chine. I started off only doing one layer at a time and have moved to two. The last three layers overlap the sheer clamp.

There are some nice curves in this photo.

Thanks. I hope so. I made a model and studied other scows but we really won't know until I get some plywood planking on.

What thickness, type ply will you use? Enjoying the build, thanks.

That is looking really nice. As Nick said, you have really worked a lot of nice subtle curves into your design. Nice work!