Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81718

Thread: Building Another Barge?

Default Re: Building Another Barge?

You appear to have boundless energy Walt, and you do everything so well and thoroughly. Always impressive.

When you let it down do you plan to tie it off to a vehicle first?

Look out skeeters!

Thanks Gib, but the energy is not what it used to be. I had intended to put this up with a tractor this time and next time lowering it with a loader or backhoe. I put an eye bolt somewhat toward the top to do this.

How often do you anticipate having to lower it? Looks like quite a project. My wife would like one of those as well. Her feeder outside the kitchen is nice but I can't imagine she wouldn't be happy with a bird house like that one.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Once a year is the plan but we will see.

I have rigged two boats with outboards but never with a bracket. They have advantages but are more complicated to install. This bracket is 8 feet long, 32 inches wide, weighs about 100 lbs. and made of aluminum. We will have to move it 3 or 4 times while marking bolt locations and drilling. There is very little room to work in the bowshed with the addition of this bracket.

Outboards are mounted higher when placed on brackets as opposed to transom mounted. The fabricator gave me some guidelines and my local outboard guy advised me too. The fabricator usually installs the brackets he builds but I can't bring the boat to him because he's 50 miles away. The center section that holds the outboard is made of 1/2" thick aluminum and the wings on the sides are 1/4 " thick. He told me to put 9 1/2" bolts in the center section that holds the motor and 6 3/8" bolts in the wings. I think his installations are usually for larger motors like 250's and 300 HP. I am confident with 7 bolts in the center section and 4 bolts in the platform. We drilled the bracket first and that took about 4 hours. In the last photo of this group it is being held to the transom with only 2 3/8" bolts in the wings and it feels quite sturdy. I'm now marking the location for the other 9 bolts using the bracket as a guide. The 115 HP motor and fuel tank weigh 600 lbs. but this will be plenty of attachment points. The bolts for this installation cost $50.00.

Last 2 pics.

^ Interesting. Adds a bit of length to her. I have to ask why push the motor so far back?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    ^ Interesting. Adds a bit of length to her. I have to ask why push the motor so far back?
    It actually increases speed and handling and it's somewhat like extending the water line but the main reason is not to have a transom cut out or to loose any cockpit space. If I had a simple type bracket like they used to use the motor would not tilt without the cowl hitting the transom. They are widely in use now.

that much set back should reduce draft by SEVERAL inches while not loosing the ability to pick up water thru the lower unit or cavitating

SWEET!!!

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    that much set back should reduce draft by SEVERAL inches while not loosing the ability to pick up water thru the lower unit or cavitating

SWEET!!!

sw
    You are correct. That is how it is suppose to work.

Outboard bracket permanently installed.
    It was a 3 man job. Two to hold it up and me placing the bolts in the holes. Temporary supports or sawhorses would not work. All of the holes lined up- one gave us a hard time and had to be driven in. The center top bolt was 8" long and I had to special order it. The access opening seemed large enough until you had to work in it. I applied a generous amount of 3M 4200 which got all over everything.

What's going on with the houseboat? Not too much. Only a couple of things to report. I got the battery box made by the fiberglass Fabricator shown in its location and the coaming permanently installed.

Walt, what do you have in mind for a battery bank, I remember you won't have a generator, besides the outboard motor?

There will be 2 group 24 batteries. I don't plan on running too much off of them.

I am doing one last major shop improvement project. Lowering the ceiling so I can heat it better and have proper roof ventilation. The shop is heated and cooled with a mini split and it works great until the temperature drops below about 35 degrees. A space this size would need 2 of these units to do the job properly. It cools it great but struggles to heat it. The ceiling height will be 9' when it's completed. My original ceiling followed the slope roof line for about 6' and the rest was level. In the sloped area I had no ventilation because there was a theory if you displace all the air with insulation there was no air to condense. In my case it didn't work. I'm sure this would work good with sprayed in foam insulation.
    I used recycled denim as the original insulation and I'm going to reuse it. It seems to do a good job and it's nice to work with compared to fiberglass but it's about three times more expensive. I built a wood working shop for a woman and we went in on a truckload of this insulation to do both of our shops.
    I had to chose the right time of year for this project because it's 40 degrees when we start working in the morning and 80 degrees when we stop in the evening. I also have no lights making working on other projects difficult. After I complete the houseboat, I was hoping to build a boat in the fully climate controlled shop.

Most of the original ceiling

Hip roof framing

Half of the ceiling framed

A pile of the recycled denim insulation. This about 5 percent of it.
    Last edited by waltwood; 04-28-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Completed framing

Did you have a vapor barrier installed Walt? If not that would be the most likely cause of condensation. The gap between the insulation and the underside of the roof sheathing combined with soffit and ridge, or, in your case, gable end vents is more about protecting the roofing material from getting too hot. I don't remember what your roof is done with. It wouldn't matter if it's metal or ceramic.

Are you planning to install a 6 mil poly vapor barrier? It helps with heating and cooling too since it stops drafts. You probably know all about this, but just in case.

I did not have a vapor barrier installed. In my area and everything south of me don't use poly vapor barriers because it causes sweating with the high humidity. A vapor barrier is required but there are different perm ratings for each area from south to north. In our area drywall and paint meets this rating in other words you want some air to pass from the heated space to the non heated space. They make a couple products for this application but I've never used them. They started requiring poly for air infiltration in the early 80's and it was disastrous. Walls had to be torn out and the poly removed.

A big step is completed in the houseboat by installing the motor. We removed a section of the bowshed for access to the boat. I borrowed a template from K & E Marine to drill holes in the bracket. This saved me from putting the motor on the boat, marking the holes, removing the motor and drilling the holes, and then putting it back on the boat. It weighs almost 500 lbs.

My friend, Braden, brought his Mahindra tractor with the homemade boom. He had previously moved it from my shop and placed it in the overhang. This rig worked great. He set it down gently on the bracket. The bolts that were supplied with the motor were too long because most transoms are about 2" thick and the bracket is only a 1/2" thick. I used jack plate mounting bolts instead. There are 2 lifting rings on the top of the engine and of course the engine cover had to be removed and the steel shipping crate had to be disassembled before the engine cover could be removed. Glad to get this one over with.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/944/41...97c694e3_z.jpg

Last edited by waltwood; 05-05-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Continuation of photos and install.

This whole project has been so impressive.

I don't always reply, but I always read. Thanks for the effort Walt.

when i got my Deere i outfitted it w/ front mounted bucket & forks. w/o those 2 featuresmy work would frequently come to SCREAMIN HALTS !!!

of course the other attachments are handy too

glad fwd progress is happening

WELL DUNN!!!

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Walt,.... you never cease to impress me! I’m looking forward to seeing her in the daylight and on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    This whole project has been so impressive.

I don't always reply, but I always read. Thanks for the effort Walt.
    Gib, you have been a constant supporter with many compliments and questions. I appreciate that. I was thinking about discontinuing this thread because I have severe neck problems making it difficult to use the computer and I got many other things going on in my life. But I thought about how much I enjoy Leo Sampson's post ( I am in no way comparing the 2 projects) and figured there were people who looked forward to my posts so I will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Walt,.... you never cease to impress me! I’m looking forward to seeing her in the daylight and on the water.
    Thanks! I am kind of afraid to see it in the daylight. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    when i got my Deere i outfitted it w/ front mounted bucket & forks. w/o those 2 featuresmy work would frequently come to SCREAMIN HALTS !!!

of course the other attachments are handy too

glad fwd progress is happening

WELL DUNN!!!

sw
    I have my 61 year old Ford tractor that we do a few things with but I need an upgrade because it won't do any lifting.
    Take care, Walt

With the motor installed I needed to move the boat forward in the bowshed to work on it. The boat is supported by 8 x 8 skids with some 8 x 8's on the stern. We jacked up the stern and removed the blocks. The boat weighs about 7000 lbs now so I was not sure how easy it would move. In the bow I ran a 3/4" bolt thru a sleeve thru the 8 x 8's. I put a steel plate next to it so when the load came on the chains it would not rip the bolt out. This prep took a little while but I have had a couple of close calls so I am glad I was cautious on this one. My neighbor, David, brought his backhoe over and moved it to where the anchor roller is an inch away from the studs. All of the work is going on in the stern and now there is enough room there. The boat is now 37' long counting the anchor roller and the outboard with bracket. I don't know how you all build boats in garages, attics, and basements. It must be tight.

8 X 8 s removed in stern

Skid support system under boat

Chain atttachment point

Untensioned chains running to outside of building

Great work Walt!
    If you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room.

Thanks and I like your saying about the smartest person in the room!

What, you didn't trust the padeye on the bow?
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    What, you didn't trust the padeye on the bow?
    That is the funniest thing you could have said because my neighbor with the backhoe said let's hook it the boweye and he was just trying to get a rise out of me. I think it would hold but I did not want to pull it off the skids. that's my excuse anyway.

Nice. Thanks for sharing, Walt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

You're welcome Kevin.
    The boat got slightly out of level moving it 4 feet. This is how I level the boat athwartship with my Stabilla 12' plate level. They are very accurate. I own about 8 of them in different sizes. I have numerous things to install and having the boat level will make it easier.
    We are gearing up for the electrical work. The panel got ordered today and the work is going to start soon.

Always funny to see a car on the road with mudflaps cambered inwards. You just know some guy jacked up the side he was working on and got the mudflap nice and plumb, then screwed it on. Then went round and Jia key up,the other side. Good to keep the boat level!