Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61516

Thread: Building Another Barge?

Default Re: Building Another Barge?

Hi Walt,
    is it your intension to run 110 AC, 12 or 24 DC or a combination?

Paul

I am planning on running a 12 volt system. I have thought about 110 also but I will not be in many marinas with this boat. The only thing I can think of that we would use that would run on 110 is a microwave and it doesn't seem worth it to just for that

That makes sense. I ran a single 110 line on the float home to power lights, the microwave and bilge pumps. The heat came from an old Dickinson marine stove. There was a coil of copper tubing in the fire pot that ran out the back of the stove, through a wall and then into an old acetylene tank that had been converted to a hot water heater in the head. If I kept the stove on low during the day it would produce enough hot water for a three minute shower and to fill the sink for one load of dishes. In the summer it was too warm to keep the stove on so it was not-so-clean dishes and cold showers. Yes, I was single at the time.

155.jpgI put a small 2000 watt generator on the back of my house boat for AC, Mr. Coffee, hot plate, ect.

That's a cool looking houseboat! Is that a stock hull or something custom?
    A few people that looked at my boat in person mentioned AC and I just don't want it. It gets plenty hot here but there are only about 5 days a year that are too hot out on the water. Usually a breeze and 10 degrees cooler than on land. In Florida it is probably a must!
    I might add the small generator later after we use the boat a while. I would certainly need to wire for that. I am running conduit for adding stuff later.

Thanks Walt, all build up hull/cabin, now that it's easy to add pictures I may post a build thread.

definatly post a build thread... i for one would love to see it...

You could wire it for 120 then supply the breaker panel through an inverter. I've been sharpening restaurant knives through a 2500 watt inverter for 20 years and there's never been a problem. I'm thinking that the advantage to that is the existing supply of 120 tools and appliances.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    You could wire it for 120 then supply the breaker panel through an inverter. I've been sharpening restaurant knives through a 2500 watt inverter for 20 years and there's never been a problem. I'm thinking that the advantage to that is the existing supply of 120 tools and appliances.
    I was thinking that, but as I know nowt about US electrical standards I held my peace.
    I did hear of someone wiring 250V household lights inside his car with an inverter.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

This the frame for the Lexan panel in the cabin door. I rabbeted the frame for the clear plastic, radiused the corners to fit on the door and rounded over the whole outside so it would not appear so bulky. The mahogany strips are stops to hold the Lexan in place. I ordered a piece of Lexan and picked it up from my local glass shop. I got it back to the shop and noticed it was scratched badly so I returned it. It cost $85 so I wanted it to be right.

This process is gluing stops on the inside of the access openings to keep the panel from falling in the wall or bilge. A continuation of prevoius post.

Last edited by waltwood; 12-11-2017 at 07:29 PM.